FEBRUARY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

I don’t think I am the only one who needs this. So here we go. Chat about any of your intermittent or extended fasts here.

I am trying a variant this week. Dr. Satchin Panda’s Timed Eating Window protocol. So far it is keeping my weight in a tighter range, it was getting to be up to 5 lbs range, now it is back to 3 lbs. I think the thing that works best is keep the last thing you eat as far away from bedtime as possible. @4PM seems to be a sweet spot for me. But I have gone as long as 5:50PM and as early as 3PM. Your beginning eating time is when you put the first substance that isn’t water into your mouth and swallow it. So you can brush your teeth, just make sure you don’t swallow any of the toothpaste. The first day without coffee first thing was a bit strange but it is fine now.

So what is everyone else doing these days?

JANUARY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME
(Susan) #2

39 hours into a water and black coffee fast.

Sometimes it’s not a hunger pang it’s just a burp!

(Allie) #3

I’m thinking I might do alternate days again for a while… but I may change my mind when it comes to it, especially if it’s still so cold here :cold_face:

(Shane) #4

I’m about 85hrs in. Bone broth I started yesterday is looking good. I had heart burn 10 minutes ago thinking about what I can cook up when I start eating again. And we are going out tomorrow and usually treat ourselves to bought food when we go there…
But my BG is low and Ketones high. I’m in the zone, but prawns cooked in garlic butter is starting to sound more appealing than the last 4 days of water and black coffee :yum:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #5

Currently I don’t count drinking tea or coffee as breaking a fast. My coffees and teas don’t contain any thing else. I am weaning myself of coffee and will do my final 1/2 cup today. Blood work in a couple of weeks and I’m going to practice the feldman protocol.

4 days before I will give up tea as well.

I’m curious why you coffee and tea breaking your fast?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

I’m doing one EF (42hr) / week and several IF 18/6 + 1 OMAD. Water, coffee and tea. Yesterday was a 18/6 and the last hour was hard. So I picked a work task that was mentally challenging and did that and the time disappeared. Made it to noon as intended.

(Allie) #7

This is what I’ve started living by recently too, so my eating window starts now when I take my morning supplements as they include starflower oil and D3 gel caps. I never used to count these things as breaking the fast, same as I never used to count fatty coffee, but since I changed my thinking around this I can see the differences in body composition.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

Do you delay taking them when fasting or doing IF?

(Allie) #9

No I take them at the same time I always have (I’d forget otherwise) but count that as the start of my eating window. On days when I’m fasting all day, I don’t take them.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Dr. Panda says you will get better results. It is part of his protocol. I am just trying it out to see if it will cause my trendweight to go down slightly. And I misspoke, salt is ok with the water. I am just learning about his portocol.

To me this is a riff on IFing. I am just trying it out. I have my coffee with about a teaspoon of cream, and sometimes none, so not sure if it would have an effect, I’m just experimenting to see what happens.

The hard part is stopping so early in the day (4PM), so my husband has requested I start at 11:30 since he is used to me not eating breakfast most days. He enjoys our chats over lunch and dinner and doesn’t want us eating a totally different times everyday. So starting today, I will start at 11:30 and finish off the day at 5:30 PM. I don’t usually go to bed til after 11 PM so hopefully that is a big enough window for the protocol to work. If this works for me I think I will join his experimental group and use the app his team has developed for using with the protocol.

(Heather) #11

18 hours into 7 day fast. TMI - my AF hormones got the better of me yesterday. I ended up in an all out binge :disappointed:. I always say I can’t wait until I hit menopause, but I understand it comes with a whole 'nother host of issues :smirk:.

(Bob M) #12

Let me know how that works out for you. I was going to use this protocol also, although I can have low values for everything during a “normal” test.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

Will do. I want my lipid panel very low. The day after I meet with my PCP I meet with my cardiologist and will be telling him I’m quitting statins.

(Susan) #14

Broke my fast last night at 63 hours.

Now i can go look at the “what did you keto” thread.

Well done! … Out of likes so :+1:

I actually enjoy looking over the “what did you keto” thread while fasting. Gives me ideas on what I might break with. :slight_smile:

I just broke a 73 hour fast myself. I was debating on continuing, but seeing as the longest fast I’ve ever done before this was 48 hours I didn’t want to push myself too much. Can’t wait for the monthly Zorn fast!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #17

just started an hour ago.
aiming for 60 -80 h. I wont try to go over the 80h mark, It makes me miss food too much at least now in winter when the weather makes me feel sad and lonely causing me to go crazy and fall into an overfeeding frenzy.

I am confident I’ll find my sweetspot eventually.

(Heather) #18

60 hours in. Feeling good. :+1:

I just broke yet another E.F. last night. It seems like I am cranking out more and more EF’s each month as I try to fine tune Maintenance Mode. I’m in the low 170’s currently.

This one was only about 48 hours, but for me…the time isn’t as important as HOW I DO MY RE-FEED segment.

I SUCK at The Sacred Act of The BREAK-fast (wink wink…) but this time I am doing a decent job so far.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #20

After lunch today I start my weekly EF. Hope to get beyond 42 hours. I start after lunch because I sleep through my most hungry period.

I’m not at a place where I look forward to how I feel in the fast and after the fast.