FB Debate about Carbohydrates

(Megan) #81

Interesting. I thought fiber was good for “good” bacteria in the intestines but that article didn’t mention that. I’d be interested to know if fiber is really needed on a keto diet especially if it’s not clear people eating the SAD way need it.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #82

I remember someone once mentioned that fiber is like a straw broom, it cleans out all of the carbage!

(Megan) #83

But if you believe that article, that might not be such a good thing because it also damages the lining on the intestines.

(Bonita) #84

I just got into a heated back n forth because I dared mention the success I’ve had on keto/lchf. It’s was on a thread in response to a podcaster saying he was on a version of keto/LCHF and everyone was responding saying how sad they were for him! “Restrictive!” “Crazy diet!”. As soon as I said that this is what I’m doing, I feel great, it’s supported by science and don’t fear what you don’t yet understand I was piled on by people saying “nobody asked for advice!” “Don’t be condescending” “people are always condescending to fat people”. Their words, not mine. Made me very sad… and very anxious. I wrote my post as if speaking to equals, presenting info, being positive. As if I haven’t stuggled with weight issues all of my life… I didn’t bother to say that… what difference does it make really…

You try and ‘share the wealth’ when you see an opportunity but just get shot to bits. It’s hard to want to get up again and try next time. But I will. It’s important to me. Myself, my parents and my Aunt & uncle had all benefited ove the last 5 months from keto/lchf. Carl & Richard are right about the Grassroots Movement, but it’s a hard slog for all involved. My heart again goes out to all of the health professionals leading the charge.

Awesome, good for you! :smile:

(Bonita) #86

Thanks @BillJay :relaxed:

(Megan) #87

I totally know how you feel! I want to share the wealth too but when people are that condescending it makes it so hard! So glad science is on our side and that eventually as more studies get done that show the benefits, the more the truth will come to light.

So glad that you and your family are getting healthy.

I just heard about a large study that will be completed next year showing how damaging carbohydrates can be.

Yep…I know how it feels!

I get this treatment DAILY…it used to bug me, it doesn’t anymore.

What makes me chuckle is when people send me papers, links, etc,…and then tell me to read it…and which I have read years or months ago…amongst the thousands of other materials they never even knew existed. They engage in a battle, armed with only a five-minute effort researching Google. They engage in a very low-level info debate…pretending to be so informed…and it is quite obvious they are in it to win the argument, not learn anything.

I present the facts…systematically. And then leave the conversation…so, they can beat themselves up instead of me…I’ve got better things to do with my life.

(Cathy) #89

I don’t get caught up in discussions anymore on this subject. I have come to the conclusion that people who are really interested to know more, will do their own research. Those that just want to defend their position, are not going to change it because of what I say.

It is difficult to sit around a lunch table with a group of well educated women and listen to them talk about cico and see what they typically eat. But I do so in silence. Too exhausting to take up the ‘cause’.:cry:

This is what I think of when someone mentions CICO…

(eat more) #91

i’ve had ppl roll their eyes, freak the bleep out, tell me i’m “gonna diiiieee!”, that i’ll lose all of my muscle and won’t even be able to work out, that i “NEED carbs”…
i just smile and say “i’m really enjoying eating this way and don’t miss a thing”

it’s always been curious to me that other ppl care so passionately how anyone else eats…or does anything that is a personal choice really.

“you do you boo and if you have any questions let me know” :joy:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #92

I think the passionate care only extends to themselves and a fear of having their beliefs shaken up.

(eat more) #93

agreed!
deflection…
i just have better things to do than freak out over things that aren’t any of my business lol

(Cathy) #94

LOL - quite literally!!

(Brad) #95

You have got to be shitting me!!! That is about a weeks worth of carbs, but good job on your fat to protein ratio…:confused:

(eat more) #96

omg they were talking about his at work yesterday…good thing i don’t like fruity milk things (strawberry Quik…barf)
it’s pretty color of pink tho LOL

(Megan) #97

Ugh, I was just reading about that! I can’t believe the amount of sugar! Good job, Starbucks.

(Brad) #98

Why oh why?
http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/04/21/6-tips-for-making-carbs-healthy-part-your-diet.html

(eat more) #99

a girl at work who isn’t keto, LC, or anything other than SAD said that it was horrible and didn’t taste like anything but sugar…which isn’t surprising at 76g LOL

(Keto in Katy) #100

This is it.