FB Debate about Carbohydrates

(Megan) #1

I didn’t intend to get into a debate but my friend on Facebook posted about her healthy potatoes and I know I shouldn’t have but I commented that potatoes aren’t the healthiest food. That set off one of her friends who said I should “Google the brain/carbohydrate fact… It’s fascinating!” So for laughs, I did and sent her the first link that came up and this was her response:

So this article implies that the American diabetes association, academy of nutrition and dietetics, and institute of medicine are all wrong, and that an all protein and fat diet is completely safe. I have a master’s degree in human nutrition and many text books and research articles that support the benefits of healthy carbohydrates. I’m sorry this article is lackluster and doesn’t support your theory that all carbohydrates are unnecessary or inherently bad.

I don’t want to get into it with her but it’s so frustrating! Thanks for letting me rant here.

(eat more) #2

maybe she’s unaware that text books are updated all the time because of research

but… she has a masters…no one cares…especially if you have to tell everyone you have a masters :joy::joy:

(Megan) #3

This is what she said earlier:

Carbohydrates are very essential in the diet. The brain works solely on the energy created from carbohydrates, not from fat or protein. And, all fruits and vegetables are carbohydrates, so to give them up means a nutritionally lacking diet. Google the brain/carbohydrate fact…it’s fascinating! :wink:

:joy:

(eat more) #4

maybe she figures she did enough of that learning stuff getting her masters and doesn’t need to know anything else :joy:

(Crow T. Robot) #5

Well, that’s easily disproven. Does the brain shut down when people fast?

(Megan) #6

Mine would’ve shut down long ago!

(Crow T. Robot) #7

I’m not leaving out the possibility that mine has and people are just afraid to tell me :smile:

(Megan) #8

Lol! :joy: That’s always a possibility with me too but I think that my memory has improved along with how I feel on a daily basis. I hate not being listened to just because I don’t have a degree in nutrition. Oh, excuse me, a “master’s degree in human nutrition”. Hopefully, someone will let me know when my brain starts to shut down. It hasn’t in the whole 12 years I’ve eaten low carb but again, I don’t have a degree.

(eat more) #9

:scream: you don’t have a master’s degree? i can’t talk to you anymore…about anything! :blush:

I just got my Master’s degree a few months ago, and I achieved it while in keto…amazing how my brain didn’t need carbs through all the studying. Or maybe I’m just a freak of nature.

(Megan) #11

Nope. Just a plain old Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering. Though, I probably only achieved that because of all the carbs I ate then. :wink:

Awesome!! My Bachelor is in Engineering, too! :smiley:

(Omar Newsome) #13

This whole thread is hilarious! Because there has never been a scientific “fact” disproved or debunked!

BTW - BS engineer here as well

(Cathy) #14

I got the same from a close relative who was a recent graduate of sports/kinesiology post graduate degree. Also claimed that gluconeogenisis was ‘not enough’ to power the brain. If what she claimed were true, I have been brain dead for about 7.5 yrs.!

(Megan) #15

There seem to be quite a few of us on here! Coincidence?

Awesome! Congrats! Good to know that it’s possible! Lol

No, I don’t think it’s a coincidence. engineers were taught to solve problems via root cause analysis. We get to the heart of the problem, and not feed a plane crash or collapsed bridge with pills.

(Roxanne) #17

I’ll see your Bachelor in Engineering, and raise you a Master’s in Engineering. Funny how many engineers are questioning the status quo! Whoops, just read the rest of the thread, it’s certainly a theme!

(eat more) #18

i was an engineer in title but not degree…can i have honorary status? :joy:

Lucky you! It’s not permitted in Canada.

(Roxanne) #20

Okay, I’d forgotten that in Canada they won’t call in an M.Eng. But I do have an M.Sc. obtained through my University’s School of Engineering, taking an engineering curriculum. Although I no longer practice (have switched fields) I have yet to surrender my P.Eng. or my ring :slight_smile: