Fat fat fat

(Bex H) #1

Hello, quick question
Is there a rule of thumb or a way to work out how much fat we need based on calorie intake? Like if we eat a diet of 1200, 1500 or 2000 calories is there a way to work out in Grams how much fat we need? How much min a day do we need?

(George) #2

Not off of the top of my head, but if you download the carb manager app, you can input your daily caloric goal, and adjust the macro percentages from there. Then you will see how many grams of each macro to shoot for.

There is a keto setting on there, but you can tweak it. For example, I shoot for 75% percent fat, 20% protein, and 5% or less of carbs

(Carl Keller) #3

Hi Bex.

An app like cronometer.com can show you what percent your macros are simply by plugging in the food items. However, it doesn’t need to be that complicated and you don’t necessarily have to eat toward a percent or a set number of calories.

Keto can be as simple as keeping your carbs low and eating moderate protein and fat to satiety. Avoiding sugar and starches will help heal your metabolism and set your hormones on a path toward behaving how they are supposed to. In the meanwhile, I recommend trying to form a better relationship with your hunger by trusting it and not some predetermined number of calories.

If you’re trying to lose weight with keto, your fat intake should be guided by your hunger. When you create guesstimates of macros, it’s not one that needs to be reached. Your stored body fat can be used, so you wouldn’t need to be eating that much.

Having said that, there are some essential fats. But they would be a very small amount and not vary by caloric intake.

When I set my macros, I didn’t even create one for fats.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

A quick simple way to do what you ask is to use an online macro calculator. I like keto karma, I tried about five one day and there wasn’t a lot of variation but keto karma was smack in the middle.

Good luck on a successful keto mission to regain great health. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Robert C) #6

To get fat grams (if my math is correct):

• 85% Multiply calories by .0944444444
  • 80% Multiply calories by .0888888888
  • 75% Multiply calories by .0833333333
  • 70% Multiply calories by .0777777777
  • 65% Multiply calories by .0722222222
  • 60% Multiply calories by .0666666666

(Wendy) #7

My fitness pal has an app that is really simple and easy to use. Shows nutrients and macros.
What i use and my husband. For example: Today
79% fat/17% protein/ 4% carbs
1,006 calories. Im alittle low in carbs but a ounce of cheese can fix that. Shows nutrients as well. Nice way to keep track.

(MooBoom) #8

Hi Wendy, you don’t need to hit a carb macros. The goal is to keep carbs as low as possible, without exceeding the upper limit of 20g. If you’re under on carbs, woohoo yay you! Absolutely positively no need to eat something carby to reach 20g.

(Wendy) #9

Thank you! Took my blood keto before lunch was 1.9 so i must be doing all right!!
Fitness pal has been a real help in tracking progress. Thank you agian!:blush:

Percentages are next to worthless. 20 net carbs as a percent of calories is far different for a 4’11" sedentary woman and a 6’5" male bodybuilder.

If someone is trying to lose weight, the fats guesstimate is of how much fat they may need, but some of it can come from stored body fat and the rest of what they eat. So the percentage of calories eaten as fats is irrelevant.

(traci simpson) #11

If my needed protein is 106g, how much protein is that? like what size? do I just use a digital scale? Sorry if that’s a dumb answer.

(Allie) #12

Why so low?

(hottie turned hag) #13

@OgreZed (omg I adore your avatar :purple_heart:) help me to understand this comment.
I’ve posted all round here about my newly developed struggle to fast beyond 24h (my usual omad time frame X2yr) as I attempt to lose the last 10lb (am 116, want to be 105-ish) and advice varies, some say to up fat/down protein, your comment seems to contradict that. Please expound if you don’t mind.

(Wendy) #14

Hi Allie
Hi for the past 40yrs i have been on every diet imaginable. And not used to eating very much in a day. I have a hard time eating enough calories in a day. My average day: bfast

1 to 2 egg yolks. .2 to .4 oz bacon instant coffee and .5oz of Amish rolled butter “YUM” lunch: yesterday’s

1.oz fresh spinich 1. Oz sharp cheese 2.5 oz Bison

2 Tbs mayo.

Snack.1 Babybells cheese

Dinner 1.9 oz Yellowfin tuna steak. 1/3 c a serving od spinich. 2 Tbs mayo

This kind of day i am totally satisfied with. I keep track of my Macros and Nutrition on My Fitness pal app. So far so good. Ive lost 23#.

And bloodsugar has evened out and bp has gone way down. Im keeping track so my next cardio drs visit i can share with him. To see if he may want to reduce my meds. I think everyone has different needs. It has taken 2.5 months to tweak my diet to work for me.

(Wendy) #15

Please forgive me if i got your name wrong. :confused:

If someone has a guesstimate of a daily need of 80 grams of fat, that need can be met by a combination of stored body fat and ingested fat. Since you can’t measure how much body fat is being used to supply energy, you can’t set a goal as to how many fats to eat. So a daily percentage of ingested calories would have little meaning. Also, TDEE will vary with activity, which means you need more (or less) calories. Typically, that will come primarily from fats. You wouldn’t have a proportional increase (or decrease) for carbs and proteins.

Ideally, hunger should be what guides you to how much fat to eat. One advantage of keto can be that carbs and insulin are no longer creating a false sense of hunger. For me, that’s what makes it a more sustainable way of restricting calories. I’m no longer hungry all the time.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

@OgreZed I don’t think this is correct. I just read a post on this forum a couple days ago, it might be this one:

and a post by @atomicspacebunny (I think, but not 100% sure) that details just how much energy you can extract from each gram of body fat per day. Maybe she will respond to this with a link to the data she cites. @atomicspacebunny are you listening? :slightly_smiling_face:

My understanding of what she explained was that if you know about how much body fat you have, then you know the MAX daily energy you can extract from it. Thus, you CAN calculate how much body fat you have available in order to determine how much you need to eat to reach a predetermined total of caloric intake per day based on physical requirements.

Also, you don’t have to guestimate your daily fat requirement. For example, I use the high end of Bikman’s daily protein recommendation based on a % of total body weight (not lean mass). I use the high end because I am 73-going-on-74 and figure I need a bit of extra protein. I then use that number to calculate fat intake sufficient to reach my total daily caloric intake goal. Which I currently know from experience of losing/gaining is 2700 +/-100.

Not what I would do. If I’m not hungry, I’m not going to eat more fat merely to reach some guesstimate. My body is telling me I don’t need more.

(Bunny) #19

We probably don’t extract very much from actual fat stores, most of it looks dietary when thinking in the sense of per day needed energy expenditure? Not unless your glycogen storage is depleted long enough to start burning body fat which would most likely take around three hours or so of rigorous exercise, before you would start pulling fat from actual storage to replenish glycogen storage which would take around 8 hours to fill back up completely? Being you have enough body fat to pull from?

That would difficult to maintain even for experts! Eating after a work out because you feel weak or famished is why no body fat gets burned because your not allowing it to be pulled from storage, same thing with fasting or caloric restriction (keto), the eating window and timing are vital to glycogen replenishment and depletion, thus the burning of body fat does not happen when the body is constantly being fed externally to replenish glycogen storage.

Notes:

[1] ”…1-2 pounds per week of fat loss is typical and it’s still good general advice. But it is possible for an active person with an average or larger frame and fairly size able fat reserve to realistically and practically lose 2.5 to 3.0 pounds of fat per week. …” …More

[2] How Much Body Fat You Can Expect to Lose:

“Under the assumption that nutrition is 100 percent during this process, it depends on the weight and body fat of each woman,” said Stephen Cheuk, certificate IV Australian Institute of Personal Trainers certified trainer and founder of S10 Training in New York City. He explained that a woman who is already relatively lean (18 to 28 percent body fat) and strength trains can lose anywhere from 0.5 to 0.8 body fat in a single week. “If a woman is on the heavier side in weight and has a higher body fat percentage (over 28 percent), she could lose a minimum of one percent body fat a week,” Stephen said.

How Much Weight You Can Expect to Lose:

Pratik Patel, MS, RD, CSSD, CSCS, New York Giants director of performance nutrition and assistant strength and conditioning coach, told POPSUGAR, “If you can steadily lose anywhere from 1/2 pound to 1-2 pounds a week, you know you can control it.” According to Pratik, a realistic and healthy way to achieve this would be to implement a calorie deficit. …More

[3] “…But evidence shows that people who lose weight gradually and steadily (about 1 to 2 pounds per week) are more successful at keeping weight off. Healthy weight loss isn’t just about a “diet” or “program”. It’s about an ongoing lifestyle that includes long-term changes in daily eating and exercise habits. Center For Disease Control (CDC)

If we are talking about protein; most calories should come from fat?

How much protein should I eat on a ketogenic diet?

By Dr. Stephen Phinney and the Virta Team

We have performed a number of studies indicating that most healthy humans maintain lean body mass and function during a ketogenic diet providing between 1.5 and 1.75 grams of protein per kg of ‘reference body weight’* (Phinney 1983, Davis 1990).

Reference body weight is an arbitrary value for men and women based upon the medium frame values from the 1959 Metropolitan Life Insurance ‘Ideal Body Weight’ tables. (Met Life, 1959) Using these values allows for protein intakes to be based roughly on normal lean body mass rather than total body weight. Note: ‘reference weight’ is an arbitrary value used to estimate daily protein needs – it is not a weight

But in no case should dietary protein intake be reduced below 1.2 g/kg in the context of a well-formulated ketogenic diet. This range; 1.2 g/kg at the low end and 2.0 g/kg at the upper end, with a 1.5 g/kg mid-range moderate intake target, can be translated into daily consumption of protein-rich foods in ounces in the table below. Each ounce of protein-containing food contains about 7 grams of protein.

Most tracking apps will convert this for you so you don’t have to do the math. But as a rough estimate, there’s about 6g protein in an egg and about 7g of protein in an ounce of meat. Obviously there’s a difference between skinless chicken breast and a well-marbled ribeye, so that’s only a ballpark. The weights are based on raw meat, so you’d weigh it before cooking.

In three meals, using that rough estimate, 106g grams of protein might look like:
3 eggs (18g) + 2 pieces bacon (9g) = 27g protein
1-1/2 chicken thighs (about 4 oz each, total 6 oz) = 42g protein
6 oz. ribeye = 42g protein
Total = 111g protein

But not all chicken thighs weigh 4 ounces. You need to be able to at least eyeball what size chicken thigh you have (or how big that ribeye is) to be able to estimate. Using a scale for a while to learn this will come in handy.

Keep in mind that even with all that, you’re still just getting a reasonable estimate. No scale can tell you exactly how marbled that ribeye is and items are always going to vary.