Fat adaptation questions

(Courtney Fuller) #1

Hello everyone, I’m new here but would love some info if anyone knows the answer. I’m not exactly a newbie, I started keto back in January and became fat adapted. In may some stressful things happened and I was in and out of keto. Then I had surgery in July which totally threw me out.
So my question is, now that I’m back and kicking butt again, how long will it take me to get fat adapted again?
Thank you!

I am curious about this as well! Does it take the same initial time, or does your body go “oh, I know what this is…” and switch gears more quickly.

This may help.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #4

From what I understand, once you’re fat adapted you stay that way for a while even after beginning to eat carbs again. I guess a better term for what you are then is “metabolically flexible”. Because your body doesn’t entirely forget how to burn carbs either, you can run on both pretty efficiently. I wouldn’t think this is a permanent situation though. The longer you stay keto, the more a glut of carbs seems to disagree with you when you have them, so I would imagine the opposite it true as well. The longer you go eating carbs, the more your body shifts it’s machinery toward burning them efficiently and the less fat adapted you are. Eventually your metabolism would return to it’s pre-keto state entirely.

If I were to hazard a guess. I’d think you’d be back to full fat adaption much quicker than the first time since all this happened within the same year. There might not be any kind of induction phase at all.