Fasting until all of the pounds are gone (or until my body tells me to stop)

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #61

Thanks for checking in. I have been fasting here and there, but not much lately. It doesn’t seem like the best choice right now.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #62

Hey Wendy
I have been following this post and reading all of the updates
Curious to know how much you have lost since slowing down on the fasting?

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #63

Honestly, I’ve probably gained weight. I haven’t even weighed myself. I’m kind of embarrassed that I posted such a huge goal and then totally gave up, but that’s where I’m at right now.

(Raj Seth) #64

Nah - dont be embarrassed not here anyway I dont find this forum to be judgemental. To quote the Jedi’s (Fung/Ramos), progress, not perfection.
If you have a slightly less than the perfect “water only billion year fast”, that allows you to fast a little bit here and there, it all adds up for the year! If you pursue perfection, fall short, and then give up - that is the true tragedy.
Just get back on the horse. KCKO KCFO
I do believe that is the true spirit embodied on this forum.

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #65

Thanks Rajseth! I am happy that I haven’t gone totally off the deep end, like I have in the past before keto. I only eat whole foods, no sugar, no starch, except some Kahlua that I haven’t been able to resist lately. It’s only a tiny bit with cream used to flavor my coffee, but it still has a lot of sugar. it hasn’t seemed to make me eat more or have cravings. Instead, it seems to have stopped the cravings. I’m going through a stressful time with work and family right now too. On a brighter note, I belong to a local group of Moms, and we’re going to start supporting each other in our individual weight loss goals now. One of the Moms just started it today. I’m hoping that will inspire me, especially since it will be people that will see me, so I can’t hide. Although I have to say, I feel obligated (in a good way) to the people, especially you Rajseth, that have been reading this thread. I don’t feel that I can just disappear without a word, and that’s actually a good feeling. KCKO, KCFO!

Hey I love this thread! Just wanted to say Rajseth, awesome all the hard work you are doing!

I ate low carb for many years, yo-yo gained and lost, cheated etc. Two years ago I went full on Keto and began working out. I am a big dude, 6’5. Two years ago I was 285. After a year I dropped down to about 255. - 30 lbs. Then I stalled out for almost a year while I continued to eat keto (I am obsessive about it and measure with Ketonix). I was very frustrated and upset that I was stalled out, which appeared to me to have nothing to do with remaining in ketosis, which should have kept working. I stopped working out, but kept eating Keto, and I did not gain any weight back at least. I listened to tons of Jimmy Moore podcasts trying to figure out how to break the plateau and was familiar with Dr. Fung’s work. I had heard him advocate for fasting many times and just sort of thought it was a silly idea. But i reconsidered his work and understood the insulin resistance factor.

I listened to many of the Fung and Ramos podcasts about fasting. Everything they say is spot on and I’ve been following their recommendations!

I’ve been doing IF and EF for the last 3 weeks now, and finally busted the plateau, down to 250. Now 24 hours in to a 72 hour fast right now!

It’s just great to see other people here with the mentality “Fast until all the pounds are gone.” Let’s do it!

(Rob) #67

So true… and of course, Raj is now a bona-fide Keto Hero. :muscle::trophy::1st_place_medal:

Once your story gets read out on the 2KD podcast and you get multiple shout-outs from both dudes you get immortalized in the Keto Hall of Fame… and become immune to carbs (but don’t shout about that one… it’s a secret :shushing_face:)

Congrats!

(Raj Seth) #68

I was bawling as I heard it on Monday. Full emo

I can’t even imagine how good the dudes feel as they save thousands and thousands of lives.

Besides @Capnbob your nut trick was on the same episode. We can both celebrate our celebrity status
:+1::+1:

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #69

That’s so exciting Rajseth! I can’t wait to hear it!

(Anne-Marie Vandeschoor) #70

I’m on day 9 of an EF and I feel like I could go on forever. I know that dr. Fung doesn’t do fast his clients for more than 2 weeks. It’s not clear what could make a fast of 3 weeks or more dangerous ?

Re-feeding syndrome shouldn’t occur since I have plenty of fat to lose and I’m high on phosphor.

Any other dangers I should be aware of ? I’ve done two week ones before but never longer than that.
Grateful for your insights before venturing into that territory !

I’ve done 23 days. Others on here have done months. Dr. Fun says in his book that you can fast as long as you have body fat to lose. Refeeding syndrome is related to phosphorus. So I break long water fasts with plenty of electrolytes and bone broth.

Oh wow. I can’t seem to get past day 2 of fasting. I’m inspired now though by reading through this thread!

(Raj Seth) #73

I have fasted 50 of the last 150 days. My pattern has been - I fast on work travel, feast at home i have been on vacay since May 15. :disappointed:. I can’t wait to go back to work Sunday, June 3 SO I CAN FAST AGAIN!!!

yeah sure, I could fast at home. But I have set up my pattern and i don’t want to swim against the flow!!

(mags) #74

I do the same as you. I find it so much easier when I’m on the road, am just starting fasting again after 2 weeks and somehow it’s quite a relief.

(Michele) #75

Oooh what’s the nut trick @Capnbob?

(Rob) #76

Portioning them into baggies (like crack) to manage bingeing potential…

(Jane) #77

Hang in there, Wendy! You are doing great.

Some of my observations (not criticism as I am a long-term yo-up dieter who’s done everything wrong at some point!).

When you set goals like “I need to be at xxx weight by fill in the blank wedding, dr appt, graduation, etc” you usually end up being disappointed, may give up, “this diet doesn’t work”, and “I may as well be fat and enjoy my food”.

That’s the carb cravings talking and you didn’t do that!!! It is also diet-mentality, not WOE for life.

Our bodies are traitors and don’t cooperate or lose weight at an even pace, even if our intake does not change.

I have been in a stall for about 6 weeks now and I’m afraid my body is comfortable with my weight and is happy to just stay there.

I have been keto’ing for 6 months now and have not tried fasting. Your thread has inspired me to try at least a fat fast, OMAD or even a full blown fast!

Thank-you. :smiley:

(Michele) #78

Oh yes I remember seeing this a while ago. Thank you. This would be a good idea for me for peanuts; the one food I find almost addictive. I don’t feel compelled to buy them but once I have them they are hard to stop eating. Would really love to know why.