Fasting until all of the pounds are gone (or until my body tells me to stop)

(Raj Seth) #41

36 hours of feasting over. Now time to get started on the second half of what was going to be a 14 day. But is now going to be a 2 day, 3 day and a 7 day, each separated by a day of feasting
New low weight logged (peak - 85 lbs), new aspirational sized slacks finally not snug (peak - 12 inches)
Yay fasting
Yay Fung and Ramos
Yay ketodudes
Goodbye Diabetes, hypertension, Obesity and all medications
Death by obesity and heart disease to the infidels - USDA, AMA, ADA, AHA, Keys, Kellogg, 7th day Adventist and the rest. Eat low fat high carb - woo hoo!
( I know Ancel Keys is already dead )

(Nicole Gale) #42

I’ve been reading this thread for the last few days. Congratulations on your success!!

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #43

I only ate one meal last night after fasting about 22 hours. I tried to eat a lot, but I got uncomfortably full pretty quickly. I ate part of a salad with avocado, egg, blue cheese dressing, and olives. I also had some chicken, almost all fat, with some spoonfuls of chicken fat. Typing it out, it actually sounds like a lot. This morning, I had gained a pound, but I looked noticeably more toned. My wrists, what I use to gauge inflammation are smaller than they have been in decades. So, my current weight is 187.

(Raj Seth) #44

Sounds fantastic. Even when feasting, letting your body tell you when it’s full was the right thing to do. Just eat real foods, eat Keto, and your body will self regulate. Better than your brain can. OMAD for a little while can be a good way to make progress. I think after too long (weeks) it seems to lead to a stall. Then you can “mix it up” (Megan) with some fast feast cycling.

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #45

Thanks for all of your help Rajseth!

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #46

I couldn’t find time to post yesterday, but I had lost only .2 pounds, and then I gained .4 pounds today. I finally gave in and took my measurements today. They won’t be exact, because my body is so oddly shaped right now with all of the extra skin, but it may give me an idea. I plan to measure myself once a week. I’ve been mixing it up a lot, between OMAD and 2-3 meals a day, based on hunger and schedule.I’m grateful that i really didn’t gain back the weight that I lost on my 9-day-fast. I want to do another fast soon, but I don’t feel ready yet. I’m at 187, and the lowest weight that I hit was 186. If I get back to 190, then I’ll immediately start fasting until I’m at least down to 186, and then I’ll re-evaluate from there.

(Adrian Constant) #47

Remember to keep the electrolytes up! Also good luck and I heard that if you do a week long fast its really easy after day 3!

(Colleen) #48

I am on day three of an extended fast. I have done a 6day fast in the past and my mental hunger…need to eat…always gets me. I have a 3in waist loss goal and would love to do it in one fell swoop. Probably two weeks of fasting would do it.

I read this as you have a 3" waist :drooling_face::joy:

(Colleen) #50

Oh my. I cannot even picture that. 32 is the goal Half my height.

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #51

I just wanted to check in. I kind of gave up worrying about my weight for a little while. I am still remaining keto, but I haven’t done any type of fasting. I was getting so stressed that I think it was causing me to gain weight. I’m not sure of my next step. I guess I’ll just take a little break, and then reevaluate. My high school reunion is coming up in the summer, and I really want to look great for it.

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #52

KCKO my friend. Starting my first long(ish) fast

(Beth Utz) #53

Me too… not sure what my plan is.

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #54

I intended to fast to OMAD/24 hours but I’m feeling good. I’m gonna try 48 or possibly 72.

I am curious to see if I have what it takes and if I can get to this magically alert state that everyone talks about

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #55

I’m trying again! I’m currently on Day 4 of my fast.This time I’m only having black coffee/tea, vitamins and supplements and salt. I’m aiming for 2 weeks, and then I’m going to reevaluate.

(Raj Seth) #56

I’m on day 2. Let’s go!!!

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #57

OK, day 5 today. I began my fast at 196. Today I am 187. This fast is so much harder than my previous 9-day fast. Last time I had heavy cream every day and butter on one of the days. I think that is why I am so much hungrier and it is so much tougher this time. I feel like I feel when I am on a very low-calorie diet. My thinking is clear at times, but I also am having some times of having a hard time accessing my thoughts or going into a room and forgetting why I went into it. I wanted to not include the cream so that I can have the autophagy for getting rid of my excess skin, but I don’t know if I have my science right. I’m definitely stopping my fast on the 14th day, because I’m going to visit my sister for the weekend.

(Doug) #58

Good job, Wendy. :slightly_smiling_face: We learn a lot from fasting. I too want rapid results, but I’m too inconsistent to make them happen. I am SURE of the benefits of ketogenic eating and fasting (pretty “normal” case of obesity, insulin resistance, and diabetes here), though, and have made overall good progress.

I think there is a good amount of “the luck of the draw,” with fasting. We may do everything “right” and still have it be harder than at other times. I’m tempted to say that it’s like with parties - some of the best ones are spontaneous, not planned ahead of time.

I had a long drive - 700 miles - on Monday, so that started a fast. Not having to stop for food or to go to the bathroom is a huge plus when you just want to get it over with. 3 days in, now, and this is my easiest fast, ever. I’ve said that a few times, so looks like we get better at fasting over time. Nothing but black coffee, no salt, etc. I’ll certainly go to the salt if I feel the need for it. In the past I’ve used mineral supplements, fish oil tablets, apple cider vinegar, B vitamins, multi-vitamins.

I’ve felt so good this time that it’s almost scary. Not totally sure that it’s the cause, but I was fairly strictly keto the two days before - sausage and sauerkraut on Saturday, sausage and scrambled eggs on Sunday. 1 gram of carbs per sausage, and the sausages were big. Both my wife and I were amazed at how satisfying those meals were, and how long we remained without hunger afterwards.

Cycling in and out of fasting gets a little tiring for me after a while, and I went a couple months not fasting at all. I’m sold on the program, though, and always go back.

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #59

Thanks Doug. Your post is very interesting. I just ate more salt and took some herbal tablets that my acupuncturist gave me. I feel a lot better at the moment. I also have a cold, so that may be part of the problem. I was hoping that the fasting would help get rid of the cold, but it hasn’t helped yet. I wonder if I’m getting enough B-vitamins, since I’m used to eating so much meat. I’m going to look at my multi-vitamin tomorrow to see how much B is in it. I have a special multi-vitamin specifically designed for gastric bypass patients (because I had gastric bypass surgery about 2 years ago). I may try taking more B-vitamins. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow.

I’m glad that you are having such an easy fast. I heard a podcast today where Megan Ramos said to eat avocados on the days before a fast. So, I think that next fast I’ll do my keto better before it, like you did.

I have a doctor’s appt coming up a week from Friday, and I really want to have my weight as low as possible for totally vain and stupid reasons. LOL I wonder how my blood tests will be affected. I will be getting many blood tests, because it’s a follow-up for my gastric bypass, and they do many blood tests each visit. I do want accurate results for the blood tests, because they are really the only reason that I go to the follow-up visits.

The more that I type, the more I realize that I’m still pretty “spacey.” I think that I’ll go drink some herbal tea and get some sleep.

Happy fasting!

(Newimprovedme ) #60

@wendy3 Are you still fasting? How are you progressing?