Ate too many carbs

Fasting had the same effect for me. I was constantly thinking about substitutes for sugar laden treats like almond joys, donuts and chocolate pudding. for a while, dark chocolate, almond butter, coconut flour and stevia were my best friends, but as soon as i started fasting, these cravings started to disappear.

My entry into fasting was thanks to this interview with Jason Fung and Mike Mutzel of on Youtube-- link

i started for the cravings, but i stayed for the clarity. I feel more productive and generally think my neurons are firing faster than they were when i was constantly eating. :joy: if that makes sense.

(vera) #43

I can relate with the last part u said because
I accidentally binge ate again today because I was super tired an d I tried to stop myself but I wasn’t able to
I started having the Keto Flu today but I fell off the wagon again :weary::unamused::disappointed:

Tomorrow is a new day. Stop beating yourself up. Highly recommend you take a week to just listen to the podcasts, watch some YouTube videos and research Keto way of eating if you haven’t already. Take some time to weigh out the reasons why you want get into keto and write down the pros and cons. What do you have to gain? What do you have to lose? Everyone has their own motivations for why they get into keto. Just take it one day at a time and remind yourself why your doing it.

Write down notes of everything you learn…the more you know, the easier it will be to deal with cravings and getting into keto in general. Remember it’s not a race, its a lifestyle…small changes everyday lead to big changes overtime.

Also take salt and a magnesium supplement next time you get the keto flu. It helps a lot…bone broth is amazing for keto flu…salt, bone broth, grass fed butter…before you know it, you’ll start looking forward to having this drink. All the best. Keep calm, keto on.

(vera) #45

I’ve been watching keto YouTube videos and searching things up for about one or two months already and it’s good info but when I start eating I put all of that off even though I keep telling myself to stop but I’ll try listening to some podcasts

As others have said, try clearing out all the sugary things you have at home, & take some keto snack things with you while you’re out- a small bag of nuts, or pork rinds, I’m sure others can think of some more ideas- then hopefully you can eat these instead of buying something else.
I’m an all or nothing person, so I found it easier to do keto without having anything sweet to start with, but there are keto alternatives you could try to make like ice cream, cookies etc., low carb chocolate or something like that- although if you do binge on these it will still take you over your carbs… or maybe you would be better to reduce your carbs rather than straight into 20g…
I know it’s easier said than done, but if you can find things to distract you when you’re feeling tempted- a walk, ring a friend, watch something inspiring on youtube… whatever works for you! But it’s worth it if you can stick to keto for in as little a time as in a couple of weeks you’ll hopefully find your cravings go!

(Rob) #47

I had the same issue… the recommended serving for any addictive food is “ONE BOX/BAG”.- whatever it came in… thus, this…

That is 1lb of mesquite smoked almonds divided into 15g/0.5oz baggies, and 10oz of Macadamias split into 0.66oz baggies. I reuse the baggies for future nut divisions.

I find it exponentially easier to control my consumption this way. If I start to binge, I find it much easier to see three empty baggies in front of me and go “whoa, son!” than the ever declining level in the jar or big bag which seems to go from almost full to half empty imperceptibly. :exploding_head:

Of course picking up one baggie from the pile (good intentions) and taking it to the other room to eat in front of the TV or computer is a control in itself. Having to get up and go back to the kitchen for another bag is enough early warning of an impending binge to manage it.

PS Almonds are a pretty keto nut, 2 net carbs/oz which is the similar to most of the keto nuts (better than walnuts, not as good as pecans, same as hazlenuts, etc.) and marginally behind the most keto of all the nuts… the mighty Macadamia!

Fasting until all of the pounds are gone (or until my body tells me to stop)
(vera) #48

I figured that it’s best if I don’t snack because my binge triggering foods are nuts and almost everything that’s snackable

Me too! & have discovered new ones since starting keto- clotted cream & mascarapone! Hopefully the binge demon will settle in time…

Ooh. I like the idea of bagging Macadamia nuts. I can eat a kilo a week, which is over 140 g per day. I love them. I eat Keto to help (successfully so far) hold cancer at bay.

So I sometimes stray off the paddock but get straight back through the Keto Fence.

Pinching that bagging idea.

I have been away from Australia for 7 weeks and am already fantasising about macadamias.

Nuts have carbs, so you probably want to avoid those until you’re fat adapted.

One of the best near-zero carb snacks is cheese crisps. They are so easy to make in the microwave. These days, I can turn a 12-slice package of cheese into crisps in less than 10 minutes (4 batches, 3 slices per batch, 2 minutes per batch). And you can use whichever cheeses (and spices) you prefer. My favorites are the Sam’s Choice Pepper Jack with Ghost Peppers, and Havarti.

I think Costco carries several commercial varieties – Cello Whisps and Moon Cheese.

Mix up a can of chicken or tuna (or even spam) with some mayo and eggs and make chicken or tuna salad. You can spread them on your cheese crisps.

My late night snack is usually a meat and cheese roll-up – most often a slice of corned beef rolled up with a slice of pepper jack cheese. Again, almost no carbs. Also helps with electrolytes because I usually sprinkle some freshly grated sea salt on them.

If you’re hungry, feed yourself something without carbs. You need to choose snacks that have as few carbs as possible, since those are triggering binges.

(back and doublin' down) #52

Amazon’s one click ordering is a weakness of mine. :joy: can’t wait to try this method and thank you for the link!

Asking you one question about it then.

How do those cheese crisps taste?

Because for some reason, the cheddar cheese crisps that I make using oven are bitter. Even those that are not burnt also.(The first time I make it, it is burnt, so I understand. But the second time I make it, it is not burnt, it is still a bit bitter.)

Entirely depends on the cheese and spices you use. But they remind me of potato chips. I actually like crisps better. For the most part, they come out very similar to Cello Whisps, but at a third the cost. Far less this week, as Walmart had a lot of cheese on a Rollback specials (I stocked up).

For spicy crisps, I prefer to use the Sam’s Choice Triple Pepper Jack Cheese with Ghost Peppers. My mouth is usually burning after a few cheese crisps.

For regular crisps, my favorite cheese is Havarti.

I’ve never made the cheddar, but I have tried the Cheddar Cello Whisps. Not a fan. I far prefer their Parmesan or Asiago and Pepper Jack crisps. I did try Gouda once. Also not a fan. They were OK, but a little too tart.

The blocks of Kroger Pepper Jack cheese always give me a much different result. They puff up in thickness and end up about the thickness of a Ritz cracker, but a crispier texture. Almost like a thin rice cake.

Recently, I tried shaping some of the larger crisps into mini-bowls and taco shells. That has to be done just after they come out. If they cooled off much, they got hard and break when I tried to shape them.

W-which means if it is bitter, it is likely that I did it wrong?

(Rob) #56

Maybe, or you are establishing a pattern of just not liking keto things that others do. There’s nothing wrong with that but you’ve done bacon and cheese… one more and it’s a trend :grin:

Doubtful. May just be that particular brand of cheese? Sharp, mild, white … there are a lot of types of cheddar. I do find a sharp cheddar somewhat tart, but I don’t know if I would say bitter…?

Mild, yellow colour

Heh… If that is the case, then it is likely that I am not suitable for keto: at least I won’t be able to enjoy it.

(Edith) #60

You don’t have to like dairy products to follow the keto way of eating. I am dairy free and keto.

my problem is that I also don’t really like bacon. (No. Not that I don’t like. It is more like I lost my confidence in making bacon tasty and wonderful.)