Fasting until all of the pounds are gone (or until my body tells me to stop)

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #21

Day 7, 187 pounds. Doing OK. I’m kind of tired, so when I get home in an hour, I’ll take some electrolytes.

(Raj Seth) #22

Yes we do. Accountability. That’s why had to fess up. But back on track now!

(Raj Seth) #23

Fabulous. Started this day at 218.2. Am traveling so no weights till 3/8

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #24

Where are you traveling? Where do you live? I live in New Hampshire in the US.

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #25

So, today is Day 8 of my “fast.” I kind of feel like I should call it a “fat fast,” because I have heavy cream in my coffee every day. Yesterday I wasn’t feeling well, and I thought that maybe I would have to stop for health, and I didn’t want to stop. I decided to have a bowl of butter and salt. I had about 4 tablespoons of melted butter with salt in it. I got sick to my stomach, which may have been from something else. My little daughter was sick too, so it may have been a virus. Today, I only lost .2 pounds, so I’m still at 187. Today, I figured out that I was severely dehydrated, based on my urine. I have only been this dehydrated once in my life, and, at that time, my health provider wanted to give me an I.V. for it. I talked her into letting me drink a lot, but that’s a story for another day. So, today, I increased my fluids, and I now seem to only be a little dehydrated. I actually felt fine all day (my stomach thing was gone by morning). I was surprised to be dehydrated. Last time I was this dehydrated, I felt terrible.

My main fear is that I will slow down my metabolism, because my body will think that it is on a restricted calorie diet since I am having cream every day. What do people think?

I just want this weight gone, and keto made me feel great, but it wasn’t helping my weight loss.

Dr. Fung has repeatedly stated if you are feeling really bad you need to listen to your body and stop your fast. I am no expert, but what you are describing is not a body that is doing well with the prolonged fast. Take a feast day and then reconsider if you want to restart right away or eat for say 72 hours or even a week and then start another extended fast. Or you might decide a long extended fast is just not right for your body.
Hope today is a better day for you!
Red

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #27

Thanks Red. I keep vacillating in my conviction about the fast, but I really want to keep going. I’m more hydrated now, but I still have a little ways to go. I’m not hungry most of the time now. Yesterday I was feeling pretty well. I feel OK today, but I’m tired. I tend to be tired even when I’m feasting. I only lost .2 pounds again today, so I’m still at 187 which is kind of frustrating.

Truthfully my pride is kind of getting in my way from stopping too. My husband is so proud of me, and it’s fun to post on the forum that I’ve gone this long with my fast. I really want to meet the challenge of fasting longer than most people, just for the excitement of it.

Mostly, I want to lose the weight quickly. I have some things coming up where it’s important to me to have the weight gone. My big concern is that I’m slowing my metabolism, because I’m not losing quickly like at the beginning. I’m not really sure what to do.

(Diane) #28

If I’ve understood Megan and Dr.Fung in the Obesity Code podcast (and the Intensive Dietary Management Website, etc.), then our bodies can adjust to any dietary strategy we are using, including fasting. Having a period of feasting (for a meal, a day, a couple of days, or a week) can send a message to your body that you’re not starving and help rev up your BMR. Stay low carb, keep the protein moderate and eat fat to satiety. This can help re-jump start your weight loss. Just a thought to consider.

Also, they have repeatedly stressed that it is really important to listen to your body if you feel unwell and not push through.

I wish you well!

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #29

Thanks Diane! I’m definitely taking your and Red’s advice into consideration. My number one goal is weight loss, so if I need to adjust my goals to rev up my metabolism, then I will.

(Raj Seth) #30

Day 2 done. Now 1/2 way through day 3. Waiting at airport for my flight back - snow storm in the northeast is wreaking havoc with my plans :frowning:

(Shantanu) #31

Hang in there. Good luck.

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #32

OK, so Day 9. I only lost .2 pounds again, so I’m still at 187. I think that my metabolism is slowing down, so I’m pretty sure that I’m going to eat something, and then go on some type of fasting/feasting cycle, since my only goal is rapid weight loss. I’ll keep trying whatever it takes so that I can lose this weight. Thanks to keto and fasting and gastric bypass surgery, I actually have a choice, because I have pretty good control over what I do. That was never the case before my surgery.

(Raj Seth) #33

One only loses about 1/2 lb of fat a day, rest is water weight. So may just be you re-hydrating that is causing the weight loss stall

(Raj Seth) #34

Day 3 done. Weighed in at 212 - down 6 from start. I know it’s 2 lbs real and 4 water, but it’s good to see a number on the scale that I haven’t seen since junior yr college
And I’m fitting 36” slacks well - no snugness
Got home after 3 day work travel, so having a ome HWC in my coffee this am. Then back on 0 calories fasting for 3-4 days. That’s the pattern as of today
With 500-700 calories of HWC, I know my fast is technically broken, but that’s what I’m doing.
Oh yeah, in NJ - no power. Had to unplug my heating system from the tiny Honda generator to power the coffee machine! Priorities :rofl:

Congratulations on your results. I did a 21 day fast that changed my life, improved physical and mental health. I’m now wearing pants the same size as i Wore 30 years ago.

A day of feasting is not going to hurt anything, keep going!

Cheers

(Raj Seth) #36

Thanks Keigan. Yeah, I know a day of feasting is a good thing, but with my 5-700 kCal from fat coffees, I am hoping no insulin spike and that I can get back into Autophagy promptly. Thing is I am not hungry, just bored. With power out, that much less to do. Wife is out of town too so just me and 2 high schoolers. I had that just out of habit. And had 6-8 pork rinds last night because one of the kids left a bag out with a few left in it. I reached in and had them before I realized I was fasting. If I was suffering during the fast, I would have never forgotten
Again, I’m not worried, but just want to have the bragging rights of a successful 14 day water only fast!
Well. Sigh. Next time…

I’m doing ok. Started fasting in January and have fasted 25 days so far. That’s 25 of 67 total, or 3 of 8 days, or 37% of the time. All those have been water only, except the first 4 1/2 days were bone broth supplemented. Today is my first “fat fast” day. Bone broth for the rest of the day, then back to water and salt tomorrow

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #37

Rajseth, 25 of 67 days! That’s impressive! I laughed about the generator and the coffee machine. I hope you get your power back soon.

I ate at about 8pm last night. I had a large bowl of greens with blue cheese dressing, a lot of olives, half an avocado, and 3 eggs fried in butter. Then I was still hungry, actually much hungrier than when I began eating, so I had a large handful of mixed nuts.

I woke up, expecting to gain about 3 pounds in water weight, and I had lost .4 pounds more, bringing me to 186! It is now 5:30pm. I’ve only had HWC in my coffee, and a quarter teaspoon of Herbalife tea mix. I didn’t get hungry until about 30 minutes ago, but at this point, I may as well wait until dinner which is at about 8pm. My current plan is to continue intermittent fasting, 20:4, and watch the scale to dictate when it is time for a new plan. Moving the scale downwards is very important right now for an upcoming doctor’s appt. Long story, and really just once again letting my ego dictate my actions. It’s kind of ridiculous, but it’s motivating me towards weight loss, so I’ll use what I have. I have a zillion reasonable reasons to lose the weight, but they are not time-sensitive. I can always “diet tomorrow” to lose the weight. The deadline of the doctor’s appt makes me have to diet today.

(Raj Seth) #38

Except this is not like any diet you’ve ever done. Not depriving your self, I hope

(Wendy Graffam Plunkett) #39

Well, I can’t say that I eat as much as I would like all the time.

I’ve been eating approximately one meal a week for the past 5 months. There have been a couple of occasions during that time when my weight stayed the same for 3 consecutive days. This was followed by larger than normal losses in the ensuing days. Overall, I’ve averaged 10-12 lbs a month. I’m due to have my RMR tested and will know definitively if my metabolism has slowed, but I suspect not.