Fasting is the most wonderful but

(Omar) #1

my kidneys are sour. It is not muscle cramps for sure.

This is kidneys pain.

I drank water
I increased electrolytes

The first time I got the pain the only thing helped me is when I eat something.

But now the pain continues even after I break the fast.

I am sure it is not keto but the fast.

I am not sure what to do

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Does this happen with IF as well as EF, or just the longer fasts?

(Omar) #3

Thanks

I intended to 24 hours fast but I did not break the fast until the next evening. during the fast I had 2 spoons of olives oil with 2 spoons ASV 3 times.

next day I met my wife and she cooked meat and keto bread. I eat well.
these first two days I had feeling never experienced in my life. I was very energetic and happy. felt hi for extended periods. worked outdoors for 8 hours everyday of the two days and walked without feeling tired for 4km each day. which is not too much but the desire to spend energy never experienced such will.

Comes the third day I new it is not going to last. I start having this back pain around the right kidney and sometimes the left. I could not sleep. So I drank lots of water and salt with magnesium and potassium supplements. which did not help.

today day 4 I feel better. I do not intend to fast.

I am searching the net since yesterday.

I heard that insulin is necessary for the kidneys to function. and I suspect my insulin might be low.

Anyway I might go to the doctor if it comes back with the same severity of last night.

thanks

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

I hope it works out for you. I did experience some pain in my sides in my adaptation phase.
It was more discomfort than actual pain, but I recall being worried about it as it didn’t show up until I started Keto, and of course I’ve heard the “Keto will kill you” thing.

Mine went away. Not sure exactly when. It’s one of those things that you don’t realize it’s gone until one point you are reminded of it and realize it’s not there anymore.

Yours sounds a bit more severe though.

Again, I really hope it works out for you.

(Omar) #5

I really appreciate the reply because I needed the support.

I never thought that fasting will do such magic and I hope this pain will leave me in peace

thanks

(Terence Dean) #6

Hi Omar, I hope you are feeling better.

(karen) #7

this could be a kidney stone, which wouldn’t necessarily have anything to do with ketosis or fasting but is super painful. If it comes back, see a doctor.

(Omar) #8

Thanks Terence for asking.

I broke the fasting, the pain went a way.

I read other thread which seems to help understand a little better.

1- The pain is in the lower back while the kidneys are located little higher.
2-There is hypothesis that during deep ketosis such as when fasting and breaking the fast mainly on fat, there will be detoxifying occurring in the muscles causing such pain.
3-There are quite many people who have similar pain and it went away without them knowing exactly what happened
4-kale and vigitables seem to help. I was almost on zero vigitables which could be a supporting factor for such pain.

I will give the IF another try with kale in my diet.

thanks

(Terence Dean) #9

Oh good, that’s the great thing about this forum so many people share their experience on Keto, glad you found that information. KCKO! :keto: