FASTING HELP

(Beth) #21

I work a weird shift too, and I have the same calorie restriction issues (peri-menopause, insulin resistant). For breakfast I eat eggs fried or scrambled in butter, with bacon or sausage if possible. I missed pasta so now I make high fat versions and take them to work. I eat fettuccini Alfredo and Mac and cheese often. For noodles I use Weight Watchers skinny noodles or Miracle Noodles, or shredded sautéed cabbage, or zucchini noodles.
Alfredo sauce: 2 Tblsp butter + 2 Tblsp cream cheese + 4 Tblsp Parmesan
Mixed with the noodles (makes 2 servings for me)
Mac & cheese: 1 Tblsp butter + 1/2 cup cheddar + 2-3 Tblsp cream
It’s easy & tasty to toss in some veggies like broccoli. Yum!

(Candy Lind) #22

Save all that bacon fat and use it to fry your chicken, flavor veggies, etc.!

(Ashley) #23

Candy I just started doing that today funny enough I saved my first bit of bacon fat so far :slight_smile:

(Ashley) #24

Thank you good ideas!!!

(Candy Lind) #25

You don’t even need to refrigerate. I keep a quart pickle jar at the back of my stove. I filled it nearly full the last time I baked bacon, and it’s down to maybe a bit over 1/2 pint. And I still have too much bacon to eat, so I can’t generate anymore! :sob:

(Ashley) #26

Lol! It’s just sitting on my stove, I didn’t think I needed to refrigerate it! And I plan on using it quickly as possible, do you strain it at all? I had a few floaty bits of the bacon, but it doesn’t bother me just curious.

(Ashley) #27

I have loads and loads of canning jars so I have plenty I can use!!

(Beth) #28

I’m with CandyLind - bacon grease is awesome. My grandma used it for everything and was skinny, I should’ve known!
Another tip: I got some good, easy recipe ideas from Dana Carpender’s books Fat Fast and Fat Fast 2. All the recipes fit keto macros and all the calorie counts are there too, which helps me. I’m one of those people who hit a plateau early on. I really have to watch portions to keep my weight down, but I’m short with a small frame, plus fun stuff like thyroid problems, hormone problems, insulin resistance, etc.
Don’t forget exercise. Exercise can really help speed the process and improve insulin resistance if that’s an issue for you.

(Ashley) #29

Thank you! I sadly can’t exercise right now. I am being tested for POTS disease so I can’t do any activity other than walking because my heart rate jumps 30 beats just stand up. ( was born with a faulty heart valve)

(Ashley) #30

Where did you buy the books?

(Candy Lind) #31

I don’t. My mom never did when I was a kid. I suppose some folks would say you should, to avoid rancidity (is that a word?), but mine doesn’t last long enough to go rancid. Today I’m going to work on my bacon stock and try to deplete some of it. :grin:

(Ashley) #32

Yeah I’m going to cook with my eggs and all sorts so I figure it won’t last long

(Candy Lind) #33

Another thing about bacon - BAKE IT. Once you bake it you will never go back to stovetop cooking. I started with this method because my oven has hot spots, then fiddled with the time until I was happy with the results. I like it on the “cusp” of crispy but still chewy. I also FOLD any thin-sliced bacon I get and bake up nice thick short pieces (excellent for packing a sandwich bag full for a long drive, day trip or plane trip). I do drain them (oh, the HUMANITY! SACRELIGE! :smiling_imp:), but only as long as it takes me to pour the grease off the pan into my nectar pot. They still have plenty of grease on them in the end. As you’ll see in the forum thread, everyone has an idea to make it better. :grin:

(Ashley) #34

I bake mine too! I like mine just the same as you, I use foil so I can just fold and pour my grease into my canning jars! I love baking them! So so so much easier

(Beth) #35

Amazon

(Ashley) #36

Awesome thank you!!!