Fasting, Feasting and Protein

(Shawn Cochran) #1

Okay folks,

I and my wife have been following the keto woe for a while now (started last June) for stretches at a time. We both sick with cold/flu Dec-Feb and have started up again several weeks ago. While we normally had a higher amount of protein than the 1-1.5g/kg LBM we have recently dropped our intake to these levels. Now we have also had restricted our fat intake in order to run at a calorie deficit so as to lose weight (the whole goal to begin with as well as health). I can definitely tell the difference when dropping down the protein levels as to what my intake was before while my body adjusts. We were also doing a 16:8 IF schedule most days. So, on to my questions. We are planning to do a 3 day fast Sat-Mon. We are prepped with bone broth so no problem there. My question is more specific to when we feast the day before and the day after our fast, do people still target the 1-1.5 g protein per kg/LBM or do you go up to a certain level or just disregard the total protein consumed that day(s)?

My stats are as follows: Height 6’, Weight 197 lbs, about 20-24% bf based on visual comparison, so my macros are usually 20g Carbs or less, 73-100 g protein, and currently targeting about 170g of fat for a total of approx 1900-2000 cal/day.

My question is coming from after listening to the podcast discussing metabolic rates and the interview with Megan Ramos. If I can’t increase my protein intake, I think it will be fairly difficult for me to increase my fat intake to a much higher level without eating a bunch of fat bombs. So looking for feedback and some detailed info on what people suggest and what they themselves are doing.

Cheers!
A ketogenic brewer.

Don’t worry about calories. Stay below that 20 g carbs, target about 1 gram protein per kg lean body mass, and eat fat to satiety.

You don’t have to go down the candy-like fat bombs to get more fat in your meals if you don’t want to. Plenty of other options. Like adding more fat to your meals.

For example, get a gravy boat like picture below. Instead of filling it with gravy, fill it with melted butter, or melted clarified butter. You can also add dried or fresh herbs (dill, basil, rosemary, parsley, …etc). Play around with different spices and herbs, make something new each meal. Pour it on just about anything…like steak, roast chicken, fish filets, pork chops…

There are a lot of good recipes on this site for easy mayonnaise and hollandaise sauce. So, delicious on meat, eggs, vegetables…etc!!

On at least one of my feasting days, I reached 2 g protein per kg of LBM and it resulted in BK below nutritional ketosis at 0.4 mmol/L, so I need to stay strictly within the window.