Fasting and Carnivore

I appreciate the open discussions about keto and carnivore that occur on this forum. I wouldn’t join a cultish (think CONTROL) type of forum either. While I understand @Fangs and her point about “newbies” I think most of us here are old enough to heed the advice that our own bodies are giving us or we wouldn’t be keto or carnivore. From what I’ve read, one carnivore was banned from a forum for drinking (GASP) bone broth. How incredibly sad.

If alternate day fasting is working for @MTullius then by all means, Keep Calm and Keto/Carnivore On, my friend. :slight_smile:

I gotta say this is one reason I get turned off by carnivore.

If I had used this as a reason I never would’ve gone keto 3 years ago.

You people seem ultra-clickish and to be honest, slightly crazy.

Slightly crazy? Wait till you know me better. You ain’t seen nothing yet, lol.

(Elizabeth ) #63

Bingo- if you don’t want to try an extreme eating plan that could change your life, just own it, don’t make excuses. :slight_smile:

This comment is obnoxious.

Dude, why do you keep hanging out on carnivore threads?
I don’t go insulting people on the other threads because I don’t agree with them.

(Elizabeth ) #66

“triggered”

Yes. Triggered by the carnivore police who came here to discipline and beat with billy clubs everyone who claims to be carnivore but actually practices fasting too. Triggered by people with small world egos who need to do that to feel better about their labels. Yes, triggered by obnoxiousness. As the OP of this thread it’s obvious that you’re not here to discuss the topic but to feel self-righteous, so why don’t you go back to your puritanical facebook groups?

(Elizabeth ) #68

you asked for thoughts and you got them but since they don’t align with what you want to do, you’re angry? Really? why bother asking when all you wanted was confirmation?

(Elizabeth ) #69

intentionally not eating when you are hungry for some unproven benefit when you are already carnivore isn’t practiced by any of the long term carnivores I am aware of. Not saying there aren’t some, I know one or two that OMAD, but they eat 2-3 pounds once a day, most eat twice a day.

Ok, I’m going to poke my head up here and hope it doesn’t get hit by something flying by but…
@Elizedge you have your points, they are valid based upon the experience of those who practice ZC Carnivore but unless I missed it, @MTullius didn’t say he was ascribing to that WOE.
@MTullius you have your valid points, I commend you for finding what works for you. I do not think it would work for me but weight loss is not my goal.

There are variations within the community, we get beat up enough by the plant people.
I’m not saying just anyone should claim to be a carnivore if they eat a piece of beef occasionally but even we have to realize there are variations. I would pop in and take a side if MT claimed to be following ZC or PKD but doing it his own way, but unless I’m mistaken he is not.

(hottie turned hag) #71

LMAO I’m weak :laughing:

All you guys getting upset are being silly.

what works for one may not for another
this applies to carn, almost carn, keto, LC, vegetarianism and veganism, all.

There is no one right way; in medicine we learn -or ought to- there are no absolutes.
Nor in dietary benefits.

I have many anecdotal examples I could cite; I also have near 30 yr in a med sci field that has taught me how individualized human physiological responses (to diet, to drugs given, to therapies, to toxin exposure, to surgery, to trauma, etc) can be.

If super strict carns or vegans want to state how kickass that WOE has proven to be for them, why not?
But to say it is the best WOE for all is a statement one should never make regarding any diet.

(Susan) #72

I love this, and agree. We all have what works best for us, offering suggestions and ideas is awesome, but one works for one person may or may not work for another =).

Yep, I remember being very turned off by the “if you don’t count macros, if you eat more than 20g carbs, if you don’t chase ketones, if you don’t, blah de f’in blah blah blah” then you’re not keto.

I also remember being a little freaked over carnivore until someone I respected had a successful go at it.

I so totally agree!!! There are simply no diet that is ideal for everyone.

And IF/EF doesn’t mean force at all… If it’s not accidental, one might need some tweaking (it’s true for all diet changes unless they come naturally, we decide on something and change our meals), eating a bit differently at mealtimes to ensure perfect satiation in the fasting window but if it has some benefits or we are just curious if it’s a better way, why not to do it? I’m all for flexibility though and I don’t think it’s usually good not to eat when one is hungry but well, we are so very different and sometimes we need to do unpleasant things to get better. I’m glad I never had to do that… IF/EF never harmed my sacred rule “when hungry, definitely eat as soon as possible”. I don’t think being a carnivore changes these things with 100% certainty, people are still unique. But it doesn’t matter. IF a carnivore can do IF/EF without hunger, what’s wrong with it?

I can easily imagine carnivores rarely feel right on OMAD, even more than omnivores, I couldn’t do it just using my fatty protein sources, without a significant amount of not satiating plant food myself and I don’t have a big energy need and even need biggish meals! (But I would do IF on any diet I’m sure.) Many people can’t eat enough in one sitting or don’t stay satiated for long enough. Many people doesn’t even care about possible benefits of not eating for that long. It’s fine but some people do like fasting, surely even on carnivore. And some people love to experiment. Each to their own.

(I’m a simple one. Keto: eating in a way that we go and stay in ketosis. To me, carnivore is eating animal products and maybe some spices. Healthy keto or carnivore isn’t that simple but this true ones must do this and that, that never will be my world on any diet (even if I personally cut things, others may still have them). But it’s fine if it’s important for others as long as they don’t actually harm or attack others just for being different.)

Sorry I couldn’t resist but I don’t plan to write another comment here.

(hottie turned hag) #75

I’ve eaten once/24h since I started, during my months of almost-carn included.

This worked/works great for me but may suck for the next person.

I can’t speak for everyone but I always enjoy when you comment on threads (even when I disagree with you… which may be often :laughing:) because you are thoughtful and respectful. Thank you for that.

Advice is asked in the original post. I answered it LOL and we debated on it some and best anyone can do is take what they want thru all the information and just leave the rest. Best anyone can do.

(Mame) #78

When I am carnivore I do fast. I get soooo bored with carnivore food, but if I don’t eat for 36 hours suddenly it is fab again. I know some don’t get bored with carnivore but I do, thus proving once again we are all flipping different! and there is no one ‘right’ way.

this works for me but then I am not one of those people who can eat the same thing day after day. I do aspire to be that person though. My wife is like that and I get jealous…

(Elizabeth ) #79

See that’s where we’re so different. I’m carnivore all the time. I mix up my food but I’ve eaten hamburger for 2 weeks straight sometimes and I still enjoyed every bite because I ate when I was hungry. When I find it on sale I’ll buy duck. Shrimp in Florida is a good deal many times of the year. Pork ribs pulled pork brisket lamb chops so many different meats. We have great oyster bars with it I’ll get steamed oysters with drawn butter. it never gets boring for me I’m excited every week to see what I’m going to eat cuz I only buy my food on sale. So it’s something different every week :slight_smile:

I think this is the biggest lever.
I remember hearing someone say that when you open the fridge and that stick of butter looks really good, then your body needs that fat.
Eating ground beef is the same with me. If I’m not actually hungry it doesn’t seem so great. If my hunger is real and not psychological or just hormonal then that ground beef is fabulous. One of the benefits of this WOE that I’ve found is the ability to discriminate between real and false hunger signals even more so than when on keto.