Fasting and 16-8

(PJ) #21

I love my cream but have developed a taste for black coffee now. I usually have one with cream in the evenings as a treat.

(Adrian Adamus) #22

I do 16-8 fasting most days, but do have some heavy cream in my coffee in the mornings along with some coconut oil. I am mainly fasting to control my diabetes, along with a keto diet. A great resource is Dr. Jason Fungā€™s and Jimmy Mooreā€™s book, ā€œThe Complete Guide to Fastingā€ which was very informative and answered a lot of my questions, also lot of discussion on extended fasts. As camtosh indicated the authors just started a podcast this year call Fasting Talk and I have listened to their first 2 episodes which were great! Highly recommended!

(Vivian) #23

I have finally made it through my 3rd IF day in a row after Decemberā€™s vacation. I ate keto throughout but had breakfast lunch and dinner for a week and drinks at night. The drinks (1 or 2 cosmos each night) threw me out of ketosis and made me hungry. It took 3 weeks to get back to 19/5 IF which is the only way I can lose now. Finally seeing the scale move. Yay! Plus I feel so much better exercising while fasted. My birthday is coming later this month and I think I will just forego any celebratory foods or drinks and give myself the gift of IF.

(joievawter) #24

I daily IF 16/8 and I donā€™t have anything other than water and my daily supplements until my eating window. I do have some electrolytes during my workouts.
If I fast 24 or more hours, I will have butter (tsp) if I get cold. Otherwise, I have water & bone broth. I dint have coffee because I require too much cream in mine. But if you can drink it black, go for it. You can have tea as well.

(joievawter) #25

I had to work my way up to it. However, I also got some food enzymes & that helped me adjust too.

(joievawter) #26

Excellent plan!

(joievawter) #27

I have hope my taste will change then. I require at least 2tbs of cream in my coffee. Before I required 4tbs.

(johnp71) #28

I am so glad you mentioned the Dr. Fung fasting podcastā€¦ I didnā€™t know about it so thanks for doing that! Now I have something new to listen to on my commute.

(Joel Abdul) #29

I havenā€™t checked recently, but it wasnā€™t up on Friday. Totally ruined my dayā€¦lolšŸ˜¤

:grinning:

(thefeatherdustersllc) #30

Whoa Jack! I am on my second day in a row of an intermittent fast, 16 / 8, and my numbers are lower than they ever have been! My fasting blood sugar this morning was 94, and 3 hours later I still havenā€™t had anything to eat and it was 89! I just had a cup of coffee with cream and a failed attempt at an English muffin keto style, but it was delish and Iā€™m full!

(Mark ) #31

I believe from what Jason Fung says that ideally no food is permitted during the fasting window. However, BPC with butter and coconut oil or MCT does NOT impact insulin levels at all, so they are permitted. I am only a beginner howerver, but I am pretty sure this is what was said :slight_smile:

(joievawter) #32

That is fantastic @Naomi! :grin:

(thefeatherdustersllc) #33

Thank you!

(ketohealthclub) #34

I just eat normally on my feast days, using fat to satiety. Some days that might mean 1500 calories. On occasion Iā€™ve eaten a bit over 2,000. I fast three days a week for 36-44 hours. I should add that my numbers are improving steadily (blood glucose, blood pressure, resting pulse and weight).

(thefeatherdustersllc) #35

That is awesome!! I just have to listen to my body and I should be good! Thanks. (:smile:

Fungā€™s standard protocol doesnā€™t allow for butter/oil coffee during the fast. That falls under Aspreyā€™s protocol.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/practical-fasting-tips-part-12/

(Jane Reed) #37

Dr. Fungā€™s best practices for fasting allow for only water, coffee, tea, and bone broth. However, he does not object to cream, fats, and flavorings in coffee and tea. This is in his fasting book. He allows those extras so that people, who are having a hard time sticking to strict protocols, will be successful at fasting rather than give up.

Experience has shown that as his clients became accustomed to fasting, especially extended fasting, they found it easier to give up the extras in their drinks.

(ketohealthclub) #38

Dr. Fung discusses fasting for different reasons, though. For autophagy, which tends to begin around the 36 hour mark (I think), no calories can be consumed at all. Dr. Fung discusses this as well. YI fast at least 2 days a week for 36 to 44 hours for this reason, and do not break the fast with fat or any other caloric intake. On the third day of fasting I might do coffee with cream, but I keep any caloric intake below 225.

(Kim G) #39

I lost 50 pounds with Intermittent Fasting. I highly recommend it. Like @Joel_Abdul I do 16/8 daily, but I donā€™t do 24 hour fasts.

Thereā€™s a lot of research supporting the method, and it makes it easy to lose weight while not having to change EVERYTHING you eat.

The hardest part is the first day.

(Mike Williams) #40

I have started ā€œdrinking the koolaid (sugar free of course lol)ā€ and have started implementing IF in to my week. Have been experimenting the last month with it. Most days, I stay within 16:8 or 18:6 during the work week and sometimes 20:4 on the weekends. I have also dabbled with longer fasts, 24-42 hours. I have been drinking a slightly altered BPC. I make mine with 1 Tbsp butter and a literal splash or hwc. Sometimes I will put either 1 Tbsp of sugar-free syrup or a packet of stevia. Those have not affected my fasting state results at all.