Fasting and 16-8

(ianrobo) #1

Surprised no sub forum for this but after watching food unwrapped and reading up on it I am now going on the 16-8 diet. This is of course Keto but only eating within a 8 hour window. For me it is going to mean mainly no breakfasts. Occasionally I may break this because riding into work makes me hungry but have breakfast as late as possible ! It is of course intermittent fasting and something I do anyway 3/4 times a week.

(In a #ketomarriage with @peggaloon) #2

Posting in here too. Need to get back into 16 - 8 after having December off!

(betsy.rome) #3

I am planning on trying this later this month. RIght now, getting back on the horse is my plan, IF later when the hunger goes buh-bye. Let us know how it’s going, thanks.

(ianrobo) #4

well yep will do, like today had breakfast but at 9 and eat tea at 17:00 so just over the 8 hours, tomorrow will have dinner at 12 or so to make up

(bulkbiker) #5

Worked well for me alongside LCHF when diagnosed with Type 2 just over a year ago. Brought blood sugars down fast. Haven’t had breakfast since that day.

(David Sharpe) #6

I frequently start eating around ~5pm and stop when I go to sleep which I suppose is 18/6 on a bad day and 20/4 on a good day. I have been doing this inconsistently for ~5 years.

More recently i’m on day 4 of massively reducing my carb intake, I haven’t noticed any difference in my ability to adhere to the fasting window though I do feel like i’m missing out a lot on food now.

Anyway back to the original topic ! I have found intermittent fasting a fantastic tool to maintain weight and increase my enjoyment of eating.

(Steven Cook) #7

I usually aim for 20/4 but it sometimes ends up as 16/8 depending on how busy I am with work. The busier, the easier it is to keep to 20/4.

A mug or two of filter coffee (black) when I get up and the same midday is enough to keep me going… usually :wink:

(Joel Abdul) #8

I’ve been doing 16/8 daily with two 24 hour fasts a week. I can’t believe how beneficial it’s been. I just test my blood and it’s 88 (ketones 0.9). 3 months ago I had a fasting blood sugar of 124.

Here’s a little game that I’ve been doing: start your stop watch after you eat dinner. Only eat after the 16 hour (or longer) mark.

(Mark Myers) #9

I’ve asked this somewhere else before on FB somewhere, and can’t remember what the answers were. Thought I would re-ask here. When you fast, do you still do your BPC? or just have it black? Do you still take your supplements on time or delay them until you come off your fast?

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #10

Everyone does it different. I still have something fatty when I’m fasting if I need to. But usually, I really don’t need to at this point. Sometimes I’ll just have coffee or tea without anything fatty at all - just cinnamon and stevia for the coffee. And I no longer use supplements unless I really really really need them.

(Cheryl Meyers) #11

I just listened to the new Jason Fung fasting podcast–love his rants! I’ve been doing BPC for breakfast at 8am, and then have lunch from 2:30pm, dinner after 9 when I get home. Considering a switch to just coffee, and trying to shorten the eating time. My question is how many calories do you eat in your eating window? Is it the same as when you eat 3 meals a day or do you eat less on IF days? I’m not actively trying to lose now, just maintain my weight and control blood sugar.

(Joel Abdul) #12

@camtosh Yeah, awesome podcast…I listen to the other day too. I can’t wait until they start taking more questions.

I have the same questions. In his book he covered how lowering calories is bad (chills, bad mood, lower metabolism, ect). I get confused thou, how can you consume all your calories in a shorter feeding window. That’s really the only reason I keep adding ghee and MCT oil in my coffee just to keep my fat high and my keep my calories up.

(Judy ) #13

Following.

(ketohealthclub) #14

I’ve been doing Alternate Day Fasting and 16:8, so on my “feast” days my first meal is around noon. I try to eat my second meal before dark, though.

(Joel Abdul) #15

Is alternate day fasting 24 on 24 off? I’m thinking a out doing this next week. Has it been helpful and have you seen good results?

(PJ) #16

My understanding of doing fasts is to not get any carbs at all.

(ianrobo) #17

well generally thats our WOE isn’t it ?

(bulkbiker) #18

My understanding is not to eat anything at all…

(PJ) #19

That being no carbs while fasting. I have read a few post where people were drinking coffee with cream.

(bulkbiker) #20

There are very few carbs in cream (unless you put a pint in your coffee)… the fat keeps you feeling fuller longer… (I admit to being a cream in my coffee faster along with coconut oil).