Fasting accountability buddy. Anyone up for it?

@bej10
Beth, I also love fasted exercise, everything from HIIT to Bikram yoga. I decided a while ago that my workouts were too important to me to cut them short for fasting, so I keep them up but am willing to stop a fast early if I’m feeling low. So far my workouts on days 1,2, 3 and 4 of fasting have been fantastic, and only once did I dig so deep (intense training in intense heat - probably not enough sodium in retrospect) that I was kind of knocked out and I broke the fast. But I’ve been supplementing with fat here and there in my recent fasts, so not sure if that changes things.

@Hardrock_keto_chick good idea about the evening lists! Yes, agree with everyone that distraction is pretty much the key. No discipline required when you’re too busy to think about meals. I have work until 9-ish most nights this week so my challenge is actually during the day when I’m working from home. The kitchen is a quick staircase away :slight_smile: but it’s nice to have company with all of you on this thread.

(Beth) #42

@Madeleine and @Hardrock_keto_chick. Thanks for the encouragement on the exercise. My experience has been mixed, a couple times this summer I “bonked/ hit the wall”, when I biked hard for over two hours with a group when I was keto but not fasted. I have gotten a little smarter about it and now mix up some ketoaid and haven’t had the same problems since. My goal is to finish this fast strong, so tomorrow I will be more moderate in my approach! Luckily it’s just with my hubby, so he can ride fast and wait for me at the turns :slight_smile:

I think this is really wise! I was a not very flexible in my approach to fasting last year and I kind of burnt out, ended up stopping for almost a year. This time around I count it as fasting if I have BPC and even some other fats here and there. I’m well aware that it’s not a strict fast, but I’m more interested in building a sustainable practice than I am in being perfect. I’ll go back to water fasting at some point but right now I just want a relatively easy way to do this.
Anyway - goal of finishing this fast strong and not overdoing it on your ride sounds like a great plan.

(MelissaH) #44

I’m interested to see how the days progress for me, and how I’m feeling(stupid cold). @Madeleine I’m also supplementing with fat as suggested by others. The challenge for me will be Thurs because that’s my meal prep day for my clients!

(Ellie) #45

I’m feeling silly cold today too. I got in my car to come home from work and thought it would say it was about 6C…It was 16C. So my plan for this evening is a hot bath.
Tonight is going to be a challenge. Previously when I’ve fasted it has been when my husband was away, but he is here this time so he’ll be having dinner as usual.
I’m using it as an excuse to clear the frozen leftovers out of the freezer!

(8a37b36176e47902a5a1) #46

Hi Beth
I would LOVE to be in on this accountability journey. I started a water fast a few times with VERY little success…less than 36 hours each try :roll_eyes: Until last week I :pray: on it & went for it : I started my water fast last Wednesday night then foolishly ate ridiculously last night. I wasnt hungry, was in a great mood, just ate crappy bcuz I saw it not really even wanting it :slightly_frowning_face: But that put 4 days under my belt :smiley: My intentions were (and still are) to go longer. I went thru a few seconds of beating myself up over it. Took it to God in :pray: again knowing God didnt give me a defeatest spirit!! So as of 11pmEST last night was a do over for me. Currently at over 13 hours in :wink:

(Beth) #47

Hot bath seems to help everything for me. I use Epsom salts for the magnesium, it’s supposed to help with sleep. This morning I asked my husband to try to not bring anything too wonderful smelling home for dinner. Wishing you the best in staying strong through that! Some people say they cook for their families when they fast. About the only thing I could cook for someone while fasting would be liver (hate it). That would really kill my appetite!

(Beth) #48

Four days is a HUGE accomplishment and so is jumping right back on the horse. Welcome to the fast. Cheering you on!

(MelissaH) #49

I agree 4 days is huge!!! You should feel proud

(Mike Glasbrener) #50

~16hrs in. I has a typical wave of hunger come and go this morning. It’s comforting to know that it will go away. KSFO…

(Beth) #51

Meal prep? Are you a chef?

(Beth) #52

Love this!

(MelissaH) #53

Of sorts… I’m a private nurse for an Alzheimer patient, and I make/prep meals for her and several other’s that live in her building. They all have different dietary needs so it’s interesting! The lady I work with most of the time offers me food all day long! Testing my will power while fasting that’s for sure!

Agree! 30 hours in and a little ghrelin giving me some hunger vibes. Will be riding these waves today and tomorrow, then clear sailing!

(MelissaH) #55

I’m struggling! I don’t feel great to begin with. Then one of my twins came home sick from school🤧
Don’t eat Melissa! I’m not even hungry just stressed

(Mike Glasbrener) #56

Stress definitely makes it harder. Recognize it’s stress not hunger (sort of because stress triggers a hunger response). Try not to worry about it and let it pass. I hope you’re child gets well soon.

(MelissaH) #57

Thanks Mike! Deep breaths

@Monurse Yes, much harder when you’re stressed.
Can you do something that feels really indulgent once the kids are in bed? Hot bath, your favorite tea, a special book?
But if not feeling good = dizzy or queasy, it’s better to call this one at 24 hrs and try again when you’re not sick. I find it much much easier to start a fast when my last fast felt good.
It’s probably harder to tell how you’re feeling from the fast since you’re already sick :frowning:

(Beth) #59

I think @Mglasbrener has some words of wisdom for all of us tonight. Thank you! I hope you and your child are feeling better soon!

(Beth) #60

Yes, I think Megan says this a lot. You definitely want to be in a good place to get you through the fast.

I’m holding on to this thought for myself since I’ve been hungry off and on since mid-day:

So, tonight I will soak in the tub. read a good book and go to bed early! KCFO