Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(Alex Dipego) #141

My symptoms become irritable, loss of focus, very absent minded, light headed after awhile and feeling very tired. It’s never fun, I’ve powered through to 32hrs but that was awful. It’s not for everyone that’s for sure. Least not for being very lean.

(eat more) #142

i hope to someday have this problem and not be powered by the junk in my trunk LOL

(aircraftwelder) #143

I think my next fast won’t be so close to lifting day and may supplement 2nd day with mct. See if that helps.

(eat more) #144

have you lifted while fasting?
it is amazing for me and a few others (at 25%ish fat i do take in some fat during fasting)…
if recovery is the issue i think what you do after lifting is more important…if doing fasted training…afterwards…eat when you are truly hungry, stretch, foam roll, hydrate, electrolytes, etc

(Alex Dipego) #145

Fasted lifting depending on the modality can be friggen amazing. I have a hard time doing circuit type training fasted, but strength and hypertrophy are :raised_hands:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #146

I love the avocado oil as well for mayo. I may have to try it as a 50/50 mix with bacon grease to see how it works out!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #147

What a great way to break a fast!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #148

Just listen to your body, it the time comes it will just happen!

A lot of people have found that starting a shorter can easily lead to a longer fast–listen to you body and see if you NEED to stop or could you continue on!

(Siobhan) #149

I’m currently fasted for 53.5 hours so… :wink:

(Jeff) #150

That fasted is a little bit better than my fasted, so…

:wink:

(Siobhan) #151

I’m just saying he was right. Once I gave my body enough time to feast and recover from the previous fast I could EF again!
And I’m at a NEW LOW - 174 (previous low was 175) lbs AND a new fasting record AND I’m continuing… hopefully to 72 hours
YAY!

(Roxanne) #152

Just listened to this podcast episode and immediately searched for the corresponding thread - this is exciting stuff!

OK…not great results. Added four pounds during the feasting cycle. I’m convinced it’s eating late, since I am eating as I should.

I am a huge movie buff, and on the weekends I stay up till the wee hours snacking and watching old movies.

So…the movies stay, but now the late, late, late snacking goes.

Began the latest fast today at 6PM. Length as yet undetermined. The experiment continues.

(Siobhan) #154

I would agree that late night snacking can cause issues. I try to make sure my last meal is about 4 hours before I go to sleep, if not more.

Good luck on your continued experiment!

Yeah…I figured if I stuck with strictly keto I could get away with it. Not sure as yet if it’s actually the issue or not, but I guess I will know soon.

(Naomi Brewster) #156

I have only just joined this forum - been listening to the dudes for a while now. I had never heard of feast/fast cycle. I actually did it naturally. I was IF every day and one week I thought, I can’t face it. So I had breakfast (about 10am) and lunch (about 3-4pm) every day and ate what I felt like - I thought I was eating too much but my body seemed to like it and I had more energy than when just IF’ing. The previous two weeks before my feast week I lost .8kg and .9kg which was still ok. But the week of feasting I lost 3kg!!! I didn’t understand it at all. It was great to log into this forum and see that there is science behind it and I finally listened to the dude’s interview with Megan which was great. Anyway, I’ll be following your progress and experience with interest.

Extended Day Fasting For People Already at Lean Target Bodyweight

Yeah, even eating keto causes insulin to be released and insulin suppresses the HGH pulse normally occurring at night, so eating too close to bedtime can interfere with it and disrupt normal hormonal cycles.

Good luck on the new fasting window and let us know how it goes. :smiley:[quote=“siobhan, post:154, topic:10098”]
I would agree that late night snacking can cause issues. I try to make sure my last meal is about 4 hours before I go to sleep, if not more.
[/quote]

I seem to naturally not be hungry in the evening and like @siobhan says, I find that at least 4 hours, or more is better for me. Since insulin suppresses HGH, if someone is IR, their insulin levels remain higher after a meal, so 4 hours or more should increase the probability that insulin will revert to baseline.

Thanks for the info guys…stopped eating at 6pm last night. I did have a BPC though. Wondering if that has to go too (ugh)? No gain on the scale, so I’m happy with that.

Fat has minimal effects on insulin, so it should be okay. On those days when I’m experiencing “fat hunger” in the evening, I use something that is nearly 100% fat.

Can you give me a few examples of what you eat? I’d appreciate it!