Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(G. Andrew Duthie) #121

Makes sense. For me, the self-pay cost is quite low, while the amount that would be charged to an insurer is inflated by about 10x. I made the mistake of having some blood work done as I was transitioning out of an employer plan, and the lab charged me $1200.

The whole “medically necessary” thing is one of the reasons I’m less than enamored of the current state of the insurance industry. Given how much of the basic nutrition stuff is simply flat-out wrong, in terms of the recommendations, and given the impact that insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes has on the cost of medical care (and the amount of medical care consumed), you’d think there’d be an incentive to perform any tests needed to determine whether IR or T2D are improving, but I think the industry has yet to catch up in this area.

So while I’d prefer to have the tests covered, I’m not going to wait for that to happen, at least in the short term. :slight_smile:

(Jessica) #122

Right?! It would make sense to spend money on prevention rather than treatment. Hopefully some smart insurance project group will come up with this someday.

Anyway: Thank you for encouraging me to get the tests done.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #123

You’re welcome. Hope you get some good info that will help you take things to the next level. :slight_smile:

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #124

This is my bg reading just past the 24hr mark. This is much better than I thought it would be considering how much I ate yesterday and I didn’t workout this morning.

(aircraftwelder) #125

At what point are you too thin to fast? I have been doing a 48 hour water fast every week for the last couple of weeks with feasting in between. This last one was not pleasant on the second day. Richard mentioned that if you have less fat on your body, you can only supply so many calories per hour for a given time of fasting. I lift heavy full body once a week so my glycogen stores are likely depleted during the fast. I am not bothered by hunger during the fast, blood glucose sits around 2.9 , and ketones over 4 during the second day normally. I am 5’8’ Male 160 lbs still with fat on my middle. I am down 60 lbs from where I started. I am very strict keto with no cheats for over a year. Any thoughts?

(James storie) #126

No, I just used the same amount of grease as I would oil. Like I said, it tasted great when it was fresh, but not after it chilled. I think in the future I’ll just make it in small amounts and consume it with a meal.

(James storie) #127

No, haha, it wasn’t a bad thing just not what I was expecting!

(James storie) #128

I use salt, garlic powder, dijon mustard, and white vinegar in my mayo. I just switched out the avocado oil I usually use for bacon grease. I’ll have to try again and see what happens.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #129

I always mix the bacon fat with another oil. It just works better. My current oil of choice is avocado. It also helps it have the consistency of mayo even after refrigeration.

(Connie) #130

I would love to join you! I went keto in July 2016 (although I didn’t know that what I was doing at the time). I lost 36lbs from July to November but since then have waffled with the same 4 lbs. So, I finally had time to listen to 2KetoDudes last podcast where Carl talks about the fast/feast cycle. I’m hoping this will get me moving in the right direction again. I have another approx. 30lbs to go to get to a healthy weight range for my height/body type. I’ve never fasted before (on purpose!). I’d love to follow you to keep motivated and I like your n=1 idea. Keep posting and thank you for the inspiration!

(Jessica) #131

The fast is over (… why is my mind singing this with an R. Kelly voice).
For lunch we sat outside in the sun for the first time this year, I didn’t want to order just water. So I got an antipasti plate drizzled with olive oil, totally worth it. Yay :grinning:.

(Siobhan) #132

Did a 20 hour fast yesterday, broke with a steak, and back into another fast - Hopefully 72 hours.
Ive been following my bodies signals (and I havent felt like fasting lately) so its been a random mashup of IF and feasting.
Not very interesting as I havent done a EF since I started this experiment. Oh well - onwards and upwards!

(James storie) #133

Thanks! I will try that!

(Jane Reed) #134

I’ve been following this thread and have heard the different podcasts where the idea of fasting and feasting is discussed.

What I haven’t heard is a more detailed discussion of just what feasting means. Does it mean to eat beyond satiety? We are urged not to do that. Does it mean to simply add more fat than normal to increase calories consumed? This amounts to eating beyond satiety as well. Or something else?

Ya, I think some of the distinction between fasting/feasting is due to wanting to make sure people avoid chronic calorie deprivation that can be the down side of extended fasting.
But I prefer the fasting/feeding distinction, because I think the fast/feast mindset can lead to people “running in place” in terms of their weight loss goals, using fasting in an attempt to cancel out poor food choices, like make up for a big eating weekend. Not that it doesn’t or can’t work in that way, but it can become punitive which isn’t healthy in the long run.
Maybe “feast” is better than “feed” every so often, to bump leptin levels, or whatever. Still, in general eating should probably be “feeding”.

Yep, same reason I use the term “feasting” instead of “feeding”, but if we had some objective way to determine that someone isn’t calorie-restricted, “feeding” would work just fine with the exception that occasional “feasting” would serve to confuse the body even more than just feeding.

(Siobhan) #137

I have never eaten past satiety. Instead I split into 2 meals, and ate to satiety at both, which seems to have effectively doubled my caloric load (plus drinking zorntini’s every now and then).
I did this for a week straight and didn’t gain an ounce, despite eating between 3-4000 calories each day (although some I did lower back to ‘normal’ because I forgot to eat/wasn’t hungry/etc).
I am doing this to effectively raise my metabolism as shown in overfeeding experiments where they found their BMR rose to match calories consumed.
So far this has not led to any weight gain - which means it is likely working. This means more of my energy is being used for various bodily processes like muscle growth, cell replacement, etc

I then pair it with fasting for as long as I can - whether the high BMR lasts through the fast, I have no idea. But feasting beforehand DOES help me fast for longer periods, and then I get the benefits of autophagy.

For me it is just that I had stalled for roughly 3 months, and I had clearly gotten into a rut of not caring much about food and being overly lazy and eating a small amount and stopping when I could have (and maybe should have) eaten some more (basically undereating) which wasn’t helping with the stall at all.

However others may have different reasons for doing it, and different ways of doing it. You can say feasting means making sure you’re not undereating (in which case you can just call it feeding), or you can say you want to split it into two meals and eat to satiety at both to increase caloric load for other reasons, like switching up your routine and help break out of a rut. It really depends.

EDIT: I should note though that I would never recommend stuffing yourself full of food. Throughout feasting (and fasting) I’ve felt full of energy, spontaneous walks, very good mood, etc. I took it to mean what I was doing was okay (and it seems that’s true). If you tried the same and felt overfull, bad mood, sick, etc then I’d say it definitely is not worth continuing.
Also my extra calories are coming from fat and the extra carb amount I had to deal with (I usually eat under 10 or 15g NET so there’s room to work) but mostly fat, yeah.

(Angelina ) #138

yeah, my first 36 hours have passed with coffee, salt water and pellegrino. in my pantry some chicken broth -in case my body tells me to. have done a couple of fast for the last 8 month due to Chemotherapy ( doing 5 days during chemocycles, which has finished beginning Feb)
After 5 days I felt a bit deflated, so doing now shorter 1 and 3 day ones, same story - listening to my body.

Inspired by this post I will properly feast after the fast, upping my calories with fat.

Ever so often I hear that day #2 feels the hardest, for me its day #1, which is the most difficult to get my head around NOT eating and then I’m in the groove, almost autopilot.

Anybody similar experience on day 2?

(Alex Dipego) #139

I’m the same height but heavier, at 177. Though at 160 if be nearly 3-5% BF. Maybe add a second day to build muscle and definitely eat more. I find it very hard to fast over 32hrs… It could be work stress but it’s consistently a struggle hrs 18-32.

(aircraftwelder) #140

Thanks for the response. I am almost 60 and find it takes me a good 5 days to recover from the lifting so I don’t see the point of increasing frequency (check the book body by science). I am certainly not 5% body fat…lol…i wish…lol…i am more like 22% or so. What are your symptoms when extending a fast?