Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #241

I’ve had days when I stuck mostly to fat, but nowhere near the level of today. There’s so much fat in my life today - I’m just like wow! However, there’s still some carbs and protein because of the sources of some of my fat. The ratio for the macros are 86/9/5. I’m not full or feeling stuffed so far, and that’s a huge plus for me.

This week is the first time I’m keeping up with the estimated amount of calories I burn per day. I’m seeing how my workouts vary in intensity and how it affects my burn for the day. In a way, it’s helping me to get a fuller picture of my needs and helping me to understand that I don’t always need to restrict myself so much - which I have a longstanding tendency to do. So, I made a decision to feast without all the bulk - fat was the perfect way to do that. I could’ve made a few different choices regarding my use of cream cheese and heavy cream, or the amount of strawberries used (just less, not much less, but less), but overall, I’m not disappointed. Plus too, I’m finding this to be helpful with my mood as I’m in the midst of my ‘hormone zone’ and experiencing some stresses. So, I just want to eat all the foods - but I’m not, I’m gonna eat loads of fats. :grin:

(Arlene) #242

Hang in there, and great job with your resolve at such a difficult time. I’m happily past all those “hormone zones”, but it was this side of impossible for me to eat responsibly during those times.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #243

Thank you!

(Jim Russell) #244

I decided to end my fast at 61 hours and start a 4 or 5 day feast.

First meal brisket and cheddar cheese omelet with sour cream and some bacon wrapped sausage stuffed jalapeno poppers. Yum.

(Jim Russell) #245

I lost 3.5 pounds during the fast. I really enjoyed it and I’m planning on doing a longer fast next time. Maybe 5 or 7 days. But I’ll listen to my body and see how it goes.

(Adam L) #246

Thanks @devhammer yes that is a great one, I’m still coming to grips with the sadness that I can eat keto & not see weight drop at all though I have more to lose. It seems I need to eat ZC or as per the figure in this graphic - get stuck into fasting. Find OMAD easy but multi-day fasts much tougher, this thread is proving very valuable.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #247

Some fasts are easier than others. I did a multi-day fast last weekend, and found it pretty easy, then switched over to breakfast only IF through yesterday, no problems. Decided to do another extended fast starting last night, and only made it through this evening. Got very hungry, and wasn’t feeling right.

Decided to listen to my body and eat. There will be other fasts.

(Adam L) #248

Hi Barbara, this makes absolutely perfect sense and seems like a fundamental truth of what to expect from fasting then eating - put something of weight into an empty vessel & the vessel weighs more. One thing I’m trying to get straight in my head is how fast/feast sits in relation to the fundamental truth you described. It seems to me that fast/feast is a very clever hack designed to get around that truth to some degree via metabolism boosting & not fasting too long (?) quite amazing. I’m reading this thread & listening to the recent talk in a couple of podcasts of fast/feast cycling (mainly referenced back to Fung God’s colleague Megan Ramos) where people are reporting limited (sometimes zero) weight gain from the feast period then going back to fasting to drop more weight. It didn’t happen like that for me, my (limited) experience aligned with what you described, but I’m keen to learn more and keep trying so I’m digging in to this thread.

It looks like @ron-coleman has a great new graph that illustrates at a glance the relationship between his food intake & body weight. Though it is only one persons experience it will likely prove an extremely valuable resource just like his epic fasting thread. It’s great to hear anecdotes from people about how fast/feast is working for them, it gives me hope, but data such as Ron’s can be not only motivational but greatly increase understanding which is what I’m seeking. Thanks for your post.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #249

Wow, still losing weight!

Down another 1.4 lbs. this morning. Feasting for the weekend and had some sugar slipped into my heavy cream this evening. I noticed it but drank the coffee anyway. We will see how my numbers look tomorrow morning!

(Daniel) #250

I’ve just weighed in at the two week mark of my fast / feast cycling. first week I did a 68 hour fast, followed by 4 days of 16/8, then an 89 hour fast, and this is my second day back to feasting. Down 8 pounds total, and on feast days, the weight doesnt ever seem to creep back up more than a pound or two. Ketones are a solid 45 on the Ketonix meter. Loving this until it doesn’t work anymore!

(Daniel) #251

oh, and when I say feast, I mean feast.

triple baconator with mayo, no bun, Filet Oscar with sauteed Spinach and asparagus, 5oz macadamia nuts, half a dozen oysters, buffalo wings, and a grande heavy cream latte. on thursday.

Friday was a double baconator, 5oz macadamias, grande heavy cream latte, 2 tacos with 80/20 ground beef (not drained), shells made of cheddar cheese, sour cream and salsa.

here’s a pic of the taco shells I made.

(James storie) #252

LOVE the triple Baconator! You would think we would get a discount for not having bread!

(Arlene) #253

My husband and I laugh about this all the time. You want any product, like hwc, for instance. You want it with only hwc in it. You don’t want anything added, just the cream. You pay extra for them NOT to add the other stuff. This goes for lots of foods.

(Daniel) #254

I believe Hardees will discount depending on what you ask them to remove, but there are none of those around here!

(James storie) #255

As far as I know, they don’t discount, but at least “low carb style” is a menu option!

Starting my new fast cycle tonight…bounced back from 213 to 217. BUT we ate out once during the feast cycle, and I decided to toss caution to the wind for one meal. Eating too late as well, but it couldn’t be helped. Life happens.

All told, not too bad, considering I began the last fast at 221. I will take four pounds a week EVERY week, thank you very much!

Also tossing in some HIT this week to supplement the weight training and hour of walking I normally do. Curious to see the results.

(Barbara Greenwood) #258

I will just bracket what I said by adding YMMV, of course. I think @carl said in one of the podcasts that in his 3 days of feasting after an extended fast, he didn’t gain an ounce. Given the logic of what I wrote about the contents of the digestive system, I can only assume he must have pooped a lot!

(Roxanne) #259

I have a question about the feasting days - are you still just eating to satiety on feasting days, or beyond?

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #260

That is what I try to do, just to be sensible about eating. Everyone is different and I am finding that eating to satiety; i.e. I never feel deprived or hungry; really helps me keep on track and continue to lose weight throughout the week.