Extended fasting = Diarrhea

(Chris) #85

Is that salt or sodium? I’m taking about 15g sea salt prior to working out each day and that doesn’t include what I use on my food later on.

Redmond’s is good, but honestly there’s no nutrient difference between sea salts or pink salt or whatever, just go with what you like. Redmond’s is a tastier one, I find.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #86

Thanks for the clarification, bad editing on my part! Yes, it should be 3.5-4.5g of sodium.

According to the Real Salt packaging, a 1.4g serving has 530mg of sodium; that puts your 15g serving of salt in the 5000mg+ sodium range which is respectable! Do you see a difference in your workouts when supplementing with this much salt?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #87

Mind to share how you take it? Dry? Capsule? In water?
I am trying to improve my workouts, but salt in water makes me run to the bathroom :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

(Chris) #88

I can lift for longer, that’s about the only benefit I notice personally.

I mix it in my preworkout drink. 6 raw eggs, salt, a few scoops of cannibal ferox and water (regular sized blender bottle). I drink half on the drive in and the rest throughout training, refilling with water as I go.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #89

What kind of salt are you taking? Sea salt includes many minerals like magnesium which can have laxative effects! You may want to compare sea salt brands to see if you are getting too much magnesium: Redmond Real Salt has 1.28mg per 1/4t (teaspoon) serving.

Do you take other supplements that contain magnesium? You may want to check and balance things out.

I try to space out my salt intake through the day by adding 1/4t of salt to a 16oz (500ml) glass of water and I find that it doesn’t taste salty but a bit smooth. I probably drink at least 6 cups of water a day.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #90

seasalt, pink, grey celtic seasalt… every salt i tried has that effect on me…
I take magnesium citrate in the evening (natural calm) but if i don’t have salt but have the magnesium I still have the laxative effect :expressionless::expressionless:

And if I don’t take the magnesium my calves instantly kill me :weary:

And I actually like my salted water when it is salty, i really dislike this “slightly salty but not really” I go to “strong bonebroth taste level” if that makes sense.
So I usually have a 300ml cup of fizzy water, with about 1 tsp of salt and I have sipps of that and then drink unsalted water to wash it down/dillute things…

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #91

So the magnesium is hitting and not just the salt!

To balance that out could you reduce the amount of magnesium citrate you take or just cut out the supplement and increase the sea salt to give you enough magnesium and potassium to prevent the cramps? I don’t take supplements but I do shoot for 2.5-4.5t per day of sea salt and my cramps haven’t bothered me in over a year!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #92

I’ll give it a shot, even though the prospect of crampy calves really scares me.
Would deffinetly be the cheaper solution though…

(Aubrey Simmons) #93

My theory is because your not eating your body might metabolism food and waste slowly so when you get for our of the way your body has free range to dispose of all the old waste that’s been building up.

(Jane) #94

Have you tried Epsom salt soaks or spraying magnesium oil (you can make it yourself) on your calves? Both bypass the digestive tract. Magnesium oil is sticky, though.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #95

I have made a magnesium salve for my legs and feet once with homemade magnesium oil didn’t feel that much of a difference. Same with baths :persevere:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #96

Totally unrelated to the topic, but wow… just thanks for the tip, that thing is a gamechanger… I won’t use it too often (too much coffein can mess with my hormones), but on those days I feel really winded and have body pump or body combat class it’s really great.

(Chris) #97

Welcome. One of the only supplement companies I trust. I’ve been following the founder for years.

(PJ) #98

Fwiw, I got a time-release magnesium at amazon, as I knew taking that much magnesium a day would have a poor bathroom result.

It didn’t help. I’m on day 10 and I still have the runs every day. But it’s a small amount and it’s not so urgent I’m in danger of ‘accident.’

If I were taking regular mag though I probably would be. Well, so I guess it DID help, sort of.

(Anneliese Forsyth) #99

I am just on my 7th day of the Fast and have been having diarrhea all morning. Have been other fasts this long and never had this problem. I added Himalayan Salt the last few days and never did that on other fasts, so this must be the reason

(Neil) #100

Interesting! It seems like some people are more prone to diarrhea when they take salt and some are more prone when they don’t take it.

Personally I’ve only ever experienced this when breaking my fast, if I’m not gentle on my digestive system.

All the more reason to listen to our own bodies and do some good old n=1 experimentation, I guess!

P.S. Welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

(Jane) #101

^^^^ agree

You should stop the salt and see if it clears up. How long are you fasting for?

(Karim Wassef) #102

There’s an optimal balance of salt. Too much causes diarrhea. Way too much induces vomiting. Too little can cause a loss of function - dizziness, headaches, weakness. Way too little can cause a loss of consciousness and even death.

(Rafael Quinones) #103

I’m on day 102 of a water fast and I also experience diarrhea. It happened much more in the first 10-20 days, then became less frequent around every 20 day interval. Now I have a loose bowl movement around once every 8-14 days. It’s nowhere near as bad as when I first started my fast but not a completely solid movement.

(Bob M) #104

102 days? Wow.