Example of salt intake

(Mandy) #1

Hey all. Wondering if anyone has examples of how much salt they take in the mornings when adding salt. I still think I’m low. I’ve switched to pink Himalayan in the morning and the bottle says it has 480mg per 1/4tsp. I usually add 1/2tsp to my morning shot of acv and water. So I’m up to 960mg by breakfast. I add what I believe to be a ton to my food as I’ve always actually loved salt. Anyone have examples of their intake?

Thanks for reading.

(Jay AM) #2

I think my intake is somewhere around 4000mg-7000mg randomly on average. Recommending 4-5k mg to aim for.

(Allan L) #3

Hi,

Like yourself I have a glass of salt with acv when rising on a morning. 1tsp

All food is heavenly / heavily salted, I have always loved salty food.

Depending on how I feel I can have another acv / 1tsp drink mid-day and another late afternoon.

Always salt my coffee

I avoid any salt water after 6pm to help with a good night sleep.

(Jack Brien) #4

2 tabs of magnesium, half a teaspoon of losalt in a pint of water in the morning and I measure out about 12g of rock salt into a little pot that I add to my water throughout the day and sprinkle on everything I eat. If I’m working out, I’ll add more rock salt

(Mandy) #5

Thanks guys, for the examples. I do think I am low. With that said, when I have my salt/acv shot in the morning, it produces a rather…eerrhhmm…flushing effect. LOL I suppose my body may adjust but at present I think it causes some slight dehydration even though I am drinking my body weight in ounces of water. so either I adjust or find another, less stressful on the body, way to get the salt in.

(Jack Brien) #6

Do you take your daily salt in one hit? When I started it was hard to get the salt in but now, as long as I drink enough water, I really enjoy it and water without salt tastes wierd

(Mandy) #7

In the morning that first salt, is indeed in one “shot” when i usually get my ACV also. maybe that one hit is too much for me? for some reason I didnt even think about spreading it out gradually in my daily water intake. good idear!

(Tom) #8

It depends what you eat. Bacon for instance is full of salt, as is some cheese. You do need to eat a bit more salt than you think you did pre-keto, and that’s partly as a result of the hidden salt in processed carbage. Are you getting headaches? If not, then you’ve probably got it about right.

(Mandy) #9

I don’t eat a ton of bacon at present but i am very open to upping that! I do not get daily headaches, every now and then. I am having what feels like the verge of a charlie horse, so i assume its a muscle cramp about to happen. I’m trying to get a handle on this sodium/potassium/magnesium intake to help with the cramps.

(Tom) #10

I run, and have always had tight muscles, calves in particular. I found magnesium makes a huge difference, but tend to only take it (as Magnesium Carbonate Hydrate, I use the Vöost brand) the evening after I go for a long run.

(Mandy) #11

I actually just got some magnesium lotion to try. I have tried the supplements before but my digestive system cannot handle it. I’m hoping the skin absorption method works for me.

(Diane) #12

Here’s a link to a ketoaide recipe. It uses magnesium citrate in oral solution. Doesn’t give me “digestive issues” (no “disaster pants”). Great way to get in some magnesium.

(Allan L) #13

I did / do the same. I still have to be careful as it can still induce flushing.

(Diane) #14

I’ve used the magnesium “oil” on my skin as well. Be careful when you use it. Over time it irritated my skin. I needed to put it on, let it absorb, then wash the skin off to avoid continued skin issues.

(Mandy) #15

@DiMo thanks for the recipe. I have seen it before but I am super afraid of the lite salt! If I can get by without visiting my doctor again to ask about it, I’d definitely rather that. it seems like it could be dangerous so I hope I can find another avenue.

@allan uh oh…I didn’t think that was possible but definitely going to keep track of my lotion!

I ordered a gentle version so hopefully I can keep any skin or digestive issues at bay.

(Diane) #16

You might substitute out the lite salt out for straight sea salt or pink Himalayan and just avoid the potassium.

(Mandy) #17

thats a good idea!

(Troy) #18

A pinch of pink salt w my water and lemon in the morning
A pinch b4 My morning black coffee
A pinch after my coffee
A pinch …here and there whenever my body get a hunger growl :smile:
While in IF

Plus, on salt on whatever foods I add it to

So, I have no idea what my pinch is in a measurement😂

Works for me.

Hum…Maybe time for a self test
I’ll just mimic my routine. Add the would be to eat salt to a test tube …then measure later?
Just for fun🤔

(Mandy) #19

This sounds like what I will have to do as well. I scaled back to a little under a 1/4tsp of pink salt this morning and no ill side effects. I suppose I’ll be in the camp of a little here and there, all day!