Even quicker chocolate mousse

(Karl L) #1

I’m on day 7, so still wrestling with cravings. In response to raging sweet tooth last night I made the following; I filled a large coffee mug with whipped cream, added a teaspoon of splenda, a teaspoon of cocoa powder then stirred the crap out of it with a spoon. It was so good that I made a 2nd one and took some pics.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Use caution with the whipped cream in a can. While it doesn’t have a huge amount of carbs per serving, it’s easy to overdo it, and given that it’s sweetened with sugar, there’s a good chance it’ll cause you to continue to have cravings.

A whipped cream maker like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=whipped+cream+dispenser&sprefix=whipp%2Caps%2C131&crid=PU1QVH8X1UFF

is easy to use, and you control what goes into it. That, or a stick mixer, will give you the quick fix you’re looking for, sans the sugar.

(Karl L) #3

Thanks for the tip! And per ‘the dudes’ any kitchen devices I need to purchase to support this WOE should be considered medical necessities, right?

(Allie) #4

I do similar but with heavy cream, cocoa, stevia drops & erythritol - then whip it all together :slight_smile:

Here’s my fancy whipping cream device. :wink:

And I bet you have the biceps to prove it, @Fiorella!

Nah…it’s actually easy. Takes less than 2 minutes. It’s the technique of how to whip. The secret trick is move the whisk side to side, like a tennis ball in a game. Many people go in circle motion, which is a complete waste of time and energy. When the whisk goes back and forth, in a straight line, more air is sucked into the mixture and it becomes stiff really quickly.

Wow, I never knew that! I’ll be whisking tonight since I hate cleaning the Kitchenaide…

yeah, once you discover how quick and easy it is, and so easy to clean up afterwards, you will forget you own other appliances.

Here’s a great video that compares circular stirring, to beating (loop motion) and linear side-to-side motion. The most effective whipping method is linear side-to-side.

I always use side-to-side technique, and I get whipped cream in less than 2 minutes.

(carl) #10

Exactly!

omg i LOVE that video… I’m such a kitchen nerd. Who knew? I’ve always been a “beater”, no wonder my arms get tired.

(anon) #12

My head is exploding right now!!

(Karl L) #13

Great video, but it still doesn’t seem that easy to me! I like my hand mixer

(Jacquie) #14

If you used granular Splenda, it contains maltodextrin and may contribute to cravings and increase BG’s (blood glucose) in certain folks (like me ;-)).

From the Splenda site
’ So to give it necessary bulk, maltodextrin is added to SPLENDA® Granular, maltodextrin plus dextrose to SPLENDA® Sachets, and lactose to SPLENDA® Tablets.’

Thanks! I use a whisk, but side to side never occurred to me.

It did take me six minutes last night to get whipped cream. I’m not going to compete with @Fiorella in the whipping cream olympics!

Six minutes? You will get the trick after a bit of practice…there’s a nuance to how to hold the bowl slightly tipped and so on. It comes with practice.

(Karl L) #18

A retraction, an apology, and a thank you…

1). Turns out the only reason my quick mousse worked was because I was at the end of the can and dispensed a much denser cream than normal. A repeat with a fresh can collapsed to minimal volume upon stirring.

2). I also quickly learned that canned whipped cream and granular Splenda are incompatible with this WOE.

3). The gentle cautions regarding #2 were so nice, and delivered in a manor out-of-character for an online forum or (especially) FB group. You folks are really nice.

(Jacquie) #19

So are you! Most of us have ‘been there done that’ as we travel the keto journey. Glad to have you with us! :smile:

Well, you still inspired me to make it (with erythritol to sweeten and real whipping cream) and it WAS a great, quick dessert! Plus I learned a cool new whipping technique.

So thanks.

And yes, this group is really nice.