Elderly & Resistance Training

(Joey) #41

@Goldengirl52 Yes indeed … we get plenty of calcium in our diets, even if on carnivore.

The issue is where that calcium goes, not whether there’s enough. Without sufficient K2, D3 and A, the calcium winds up circulating in our arteries in excess - instead of replacing calcium loss in bones and teeth.

Lots of studies/research support the need to keep those other vitamin levels in sufficient range to permit calcium to strengthen bones/teeth … or alternatively, to prevent calcium loss. .

Atherosclerosis is the flipside of excess freely-circulating calcium with nowhere good to go. Calcium supplementation doesn’t typically help, and often makes the situation even worse

(Mark Rhodes) #42

Lysine is useable in many ways. This simple article calls out four: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lysine-benefits#4.-Can-promote-wound-healing-by-helping-create-collagen

Lysine is also indispensable in protein distrubution as well as dealing with Vit C in blocking Lp(a) receptors, thus lowering and flushing out this fat currently viewed as “the bad” cholesterol. I subscribe to most of this idea. The combination is also effective in structural repair.

By who? People with a high VO2 max are generally healthier and live longer than those with a low VO2 max. This is because VO2 max is strongly correlated with the health of our mitochondria. The better our mitochondria function, the better we can convert oxygen into energy. the better we can function, which is super important for healthy aging. Regular exercise, specifically cardiovascular exercise, is key for keeping our mitochondria healthy as we age.
It is more strongly associated with reduced mortality risk than any other metric we know of.

(Mark Rhodes) #44

But we have no other marker, such as lean body mass and longevity and no one has studied…wait…wait…https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4035379/

Michal Jordan in his prime had a BMI 0F 27-29. According to the charts he would be considered overweight. BMI means nothing in todays world.

I don’t disagree in principal. Weight lifting is very important and may lead to an increase in longevity. However, discounting the importance of Vo2max in longevity outcomes is wrong.

(Mark Rhodes) #47

Then we also see VO2 improve with more muscle mass rather than less in the older population. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27479009/

“Muscle mass is associated with the VO2max obtained, however, it appears that VO2max in older subjects may be less influenced by muscle mass than in younger subjects.” From the cited study you mention.

(Mark Rhodes) #49

yes. BUT NOTICE I said “in older population” which this thred is about

In a perfect world, we would all be able to lift 3 times our body weight and have a V02 max of 90. Why not try and maximize both?

(Joey) #51

@marklifestyle @ffskier As an elder who started this thread, I can’t resist but learn from your combined training.

You seem to largely agree while raising some finer points and interrelationships in various markers and outcomes. Thanks!

(Denise) #52

I have A but haven’t been adding it as I have a lot I’m taking, 8 to be exact. I might have a level of my A in med records, I’ll look and see first :slight_smile: thanks Joey!

(Denise) #53

sounds good, I’ll be back, just did my workout, need to eat, then shower. I so appreciate you guys, and gals, and this thread is just what I hoped to find today! Denise :smile:

(Denise) #54

Hey @marklifestyle, I’m going to look at your link about lysine right now, but I also wanted to ask you what your macro %'s are since you mentioned you eat mostly fats? I just want to a little refresher course on what, or about the right macros for keto :wink:

Thanks much, Denise :grin:

PS good article, and I think I must get a lot of lysine but haven’t a clue how to know if I need to supplement it. I eat mostly red meat now, salmon is my second fave. I do a lot of nuts, and seeds (chia, flax).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #55

BMI is “useful” because any idiot can calculate it. The most accurate measure of body composition, using calipers, requires a well-trained technician, and DEXA requires an x-ray machine.

Also, while BMI isn’t as simple as merely looking at a patient, it does involve enough calculating (especially when converting from U.S. customary to metric) to make the doctor feel useful.

Cynical? Moi?

(Denise) #56

I’m not an idiot, but I have a hard time calculating BMI, mainly because the calipers I bought some time ago were hard as hell to read, and keep the fat pinched at the same time. So then I tried online-calculators and seems they differ from one to the next. I finally figured I’m somewhere around 20%. Then my brain starts in about “well, my body has more fat in one area then another” so that meant to really be accurate I have to go from 0% fat here, and 20% there :sweat_smile:

Hmm, maybe I am an idiot. Thanks @PaulL , your reply was better than a cup of black, high-octane coffee this a.m. :slight_smile:

Do you have an antidote to rid me of the race-brain??:wink::crazy_face:

(Mark Rhodes) #57

It is actually a calculation created not in the medical profession but Adolphe Quetelet wanted a mathmatical formula to find the nominal size of men to use as a means of projecting longevity. But you knew this.

(Denise) #58

Hi Virginia, good to see you, I hadn’t looked through the whole thread :wink: I was reading the info you sent me a year or so ago on histamine. I still struggle with that, but another topic.

BMI is calculated different ways as I am understanding it, which isn’t yet a very good understanding. Glad to see a woman on this thread as I see this whole thread is so important to me. I am building muscle and maybe I shouldn’t say “building” as much as I am seeing more definition. I would like to actually see myself gain weight in muscle mass, not fat. I think it can be done with my stretch band routine, but not 100% sure of that.

Partly because I feel I’m not eating enough, it’s coming out under 1200 calories, mostly fat, red meat protein, some Salmon when I can get it Wildcaught. I am still eating walnuts, avocados when they are in season. What I’m getting at is that calculators tell me I should be eating 1500 a day.

Anyway, again it’s so nice to see you as I got busy with other things and neglected to stop in here. I owe a lot to this site, so really want to get used it being one of my main stops online :slight_smile: Denise PS I want to learn more and more, plus, maybe help some folks that are starting out. January will just be 3 years on Keto for me.

Seems getting older it’s just to easy to sit back and neglect staying a healthy physically, mentally, and emotionally. We have to work much harder, if you’re like me and didn’t do much about maintaining the good health I started out with. Guess I took way too much for granted, but again, this site has been a life-saver :wink:

(Bob M) #59

Supposedly, he used only two sets of people from Europe. They really need to redo it to have multiple sets of BMI for different lineages (e.g., European, African, Asian,…) and sexes. Or just get rid of it, since it’s pretty much useless (I’m talking to you TOFIs, thin outside, fat inside).

(Denise) #60

I agree since with the calipers you can pinch a glob of fat and get whether or not you are overweight (over fat). Body Mass Index indicates everything, muscle bones and fat. Every online calculator doesn’t tell me how much fat I have at all??