Elderly & Resistance Training

“Generally, the effects of aerobic training increase in a dose-dependent manner with exercise intensity, and it is known that training at an exercise intensity of 90-100% of VO2max is the most effective way to increase VO2max.” Quoted directly from your study.

The study clearly states that only those young and old who had below average Vo2max and had initially low fitness levels would improve their Vo2max.
“The RT-induced increase in muscle mass may therefore contribute to only a small improvement in VO2max.”
“This training also elicits an improvement of VO2max when the initial VO2max at the start of the training is lower compared to average values of VO2max for the corresponding age.”

Does this not suggest the following?:
Muscle imbalances
Abnormal biomechanics
Excessive training
etc.

Why not? Is fasting just for those who are overweight?
Like everything, there is a cost. As you get older it is harder to build and maintain your muscle mass than when you are younger.

Very easy to argue that the older you get the MORE you benefit from weight training, IMO, once you hit your senior years, weight training isn’t an option, it’s literally necessary for health and longevity. Unless you subscribe to becoming frail and falling apart because that’s somehow that’s the way it’s “supposed to be” when we get older. That’s BS!

The “strong surviving” isn’t just a thing we say, it’s real.

No but it’s definitely more problematic for people who hasn’t the extra body fat to get energy from. Of course they lose more muscles as the energy must come from somewhere and the tiny fat and various other options aren’t enough.
The less bodyfat we have, the more careful we should be regarding fasting. Or we should at least listen to our body (if our communication is right and it actually tells us when there is some problem)…

100% Agree. What do I have to do now, so that when I am 90 I can do it.

(Mark Rhodes) #27

When I ran marathons I developed a cardiac block and it is well documented in marathoners that this occurs frequently. There is no amount of VO2 max that makes up for this devastating side effect. Strength training does not have this. VO2 is overated. I am healthier when I started to ignore it.

Cardio leads to loss of muscle mass, the opposite of what we want. Insulin resistance decreases in strength training as does VAT. Also added muscle improves balance, coordination and helps keeps the bones strong.

Even tim Noakes gained fat much as I did training for marathons. Of course we were high carb eaters then, but it is pretty clear that aerobics alone do not promote health while strength training in most cases does.

(Edith) #28

I posted a link to a podcast with an interveiw by Dr. Donald Layman about bone and muscle health. He was anti-fasting especially as we get older. He also felt we should have a first does of protein in the mornings since we are in a state of catabolism while sleeping.

This post should have the link, I think. :laughing:

(Mark Rhodes) #29

Not necessarily. My surgeon doesn’t think so and he mostly works with athletes.

Far be it from me to rely on an appeal to authority, however the MIlwaukee Bucks, The Milwaukee Brewers and the Milwaukee Ballet all use my surgeon, Dr. Raasch. He works on people making millions and they get to keep making their millions.

Also when I first started to see my now retired cardiologist, he told me my BMI was too high. Of course the numbers said I was obese. But over the next 5 years I convinced him showing him studies and my own N=1 experiments proving the superiority of resistance training. As he retired he was telling me all the benefits of muslce mass and that I should never give up trying to add more. And I never train to “maintain” that is the surest way to go backward.

Here is a photo of BMI of 31…yeah, I 'm obese. I am also reversing AGATSTON Score and osteoporosis. SOmething cardio NEVER did for me. In this photo I am 59.8

(Edith) #30

Well, this guy does seem to have some pretty good credentials, as well. :smile:

(Robin) #31

You’re saying that’s obese?!

(Mark Rhodes) #32

I am saying according to BMI it’s obese. Initally my cardiologist wanted me to lose weight because of BMI. In five years time I changed his view on this, Lp(a) and resistance exercise being supeior to cardio.

(Edith) #33

This really seems crazy. I think a person with a BMI of 31 because of body fat looks a little different than a person who has that BMI due to muscle. Did your cardiologist not look up for his notes and actually look at you?

(Denise) #34

Hey @SomeGuy (Joey)! Spotted your thread and had to chime in. I’ll be 71 this month and most people are amazed to see the muscles I’ve gained (definitely some definition). I don’t want much more than I already have, but I was working out at the gym, just an hour. I’d do mostly pulley type machines, but threw in some dumbells. Also did squats on the Smith Machine but hard to get to it through the gym really filling up with folks.

I’ve stopped going in November, and finally, just the last week or so of November got my act together and set up my little space how I want it and am loving my band workouts. With the floor exercises I do with a gals channel on Youtube, I am feeling way stronger faster. Really feeling the bands as I’ve moved up to the stronger ones already. Some were just too light. I so believe in this as I see the changes happening to me so I try to share without being to technical, but just encouraging others.

Their diets are mostly not good and they don’t want to hear about keto much at all, but I feel if they will start doing something in the form of exercise, they might do one of two things. Get discouraged because they don’t see any changes, or, decide there might be something to “we are what we eat” :crazy_face: I was opposite because of T2, I wanted to fix my horrible “Standard American Diet” first, then I added exercise :wink:

Any input on bands being sufficient, at least for each individuals goals? Great to see you, and I have been keeping up with my exercise/weight-resistance and most of all, my Keto :wink: Denise :grin:

(Mark Rhodes) #35

Weeeellllll, that is a story: I had Nadir interview him to see if he would be a guy I could work with having fired the previous two. This intrigued him. I madde it known I was hiring him as a consultant, that I managed my own healthcare. By his fourth year with me, he began to advocate LCHF and stopped writing his Plant Based Cardiac Health Book. After retirement we exchanged emails and I talk to him once a month. I have not found anyone suitable since.

He is a very knowledgable Doctor whom actually looks at the evidence. In the case of BMI I asked him which of his studies on BMI isolated BF. He couldn’t find one. So I suggested that BMI is a poor marker, that my DXA scans showed low VAT, my HOMA-IR was under 1 and my Trig/HDL was also under 1. He thought about this. I will have to look at this issue closer…and he did. He began to advocate for resistance training over cardio.

(Denise) #36

Hello Mark! So glad you have found this guy. I don’t even think about cardio so I hope I’m on the right track as well. I think I’ll be looking around today for ways to eat more protein, maybe just at least as much as fats because I think eating the bulk of my macros as fats is holding back my muscle improvement. I was also diagnosed with osteoporosis but so far, looks like barely started from the tests I’ve seen :wink:

I’ve read and listened to find out that weight-resistance is so good for our bones so I’m practicing that, and a few supplements like Boron, Collagen, but I get enough calcium and wouldn’t take the extra my doc wanted me to. Any feedback appreciated, Denise PS so good to see you and the others I’ve met up with since getting back on here yesterday :grinning:

(Joey) #37

@Goldengirl52 You are such an inspiration! … More walking evidence that proves it’s never too late to make a meaningful difference in one’s health. (Although I still claim that good health is mostly wasted on the young :wink: )

Kudos :vulcan_salute:

(Denise) #38

Hi Joey, I think a lot of things are wasted on the young, lol! Always saying I wish I knew then what I know now, but if it were that way around, we might have gotten less wisdom as we aged :joy:

I’ll show you the video I’m following now and I just think she is so organized and easy to understand and follow. She also has much harder workouts for more advanced, and the younger crowd. This is my fave for now, really learning how to keep those bands in place which at first was hard to keep them in place :thinking::crazy_face: PS I can’t do a full push up yet, the only exercise I can’t do on this but I improvise by doing “girly” type :wink:

My fave workout, so far :slight_smile:

(Mark Rhodes) #39

In my experience NEVER take extra calcium,the body then struggles to maintain equilrium with magnesium and potassium and some other minerals. My reversal of osteoporosis and 7 herniated disks, the worse being 10 x 10 x 12 mm at L5-S1 into my sciatica rendered a diagnosis of being permenently disabled. MY MRI in 2019 showed I had rid my sielf of disk herniations and now just have mild bulging. I also reversed my stenosis. I attribute this to the extended fasting I did for 18 months.
In 2022 I had another MRI done and I have the beginings of arthritis and decided a shot would be benefical and it has been, for me.

I have found Lysine crucial for ligament health along with aiding Vit C to control Lp(a). I also believe K2 works wonders shuttling calcium to where it needs to go.

I applaud your resistance band work at home. I have a full gym in my basement, but honestly I have to admit my self esteem soars when the 20 year olds ask me how I do it and then watch their jaws bounce when they find out I am sixty…then to see their heads twirl when I tell them the majority of my calories are fat? OMG !

(Denise) #40

Oh I remember now, you are where I heard about the reversal of your osteo!! I’ve been taking the MK-7/K2 every day since I read about it on youtube! So glad to get your input on it Mark, excellent! I’d also read about extra calcium and bowed out of that one :wink:

I’ll look into the Lysine for sure, and I am taking Vit C and a separate Zinc with that. I do miss the gym a little and may rejoin in Summer, it helped me get out more. Ran into a guy my age that wondered if I’d left town, lol, but I told him for now I’m just working out at home.

You’re the comeback-Kid Mark, you’ve overcome so many things, you’re a real inspiration and makes me never want to give up or give into any meds, or procedures I can fix myself with nutrition and exercise. I am glad it’s there if I really need it though, Denise