Elderly & Resistance Training

(Joey) #1

This just in: Both 65-75 yr olds and 85+ yr olds were shown to benefit from resistance training. In fact, the 85+ yr olds did as well (if not slightly better on certain metrics) by comparison…

Elderly-ResistanceExercise.pdf (855.8 KB)

Power on, geezers! :vulcan_salute:

(Bob M) #2

This was in about 12 weeks:

A really good result. (CSA = cross-sectional area)

(Joey) #3

Should make younger folk eager to get old - a little something to look forward to. :wink:

(Bob M) #4

It’s always fun to play with math like this. 2% in 12 weeks is about 9% per year, so in 5 years, you’ll gain over 45% in muscle mass. You’ll be a beast! (Of course, gains never go like that, or we’d all be body builders. Sort of like weight loss – at some point, it slows to near zero.)

(Joey) #5

I just assumed the body mass increase would slow down and the study’s subjects would asymptotically approach their final death mass. Referred to as terminal endpoint. :roll_eyes:

(Geoffrey) #6

I use resistance bands two or three times a week. I sure feel the difference.

(Joey) #7

:+1: Keep it up and you’re likely to join the 85+ crowd (patience, my friend).

Sarcopenia, is the decline of skeletal muscle tissue with age, is one of the most important causes of functional decline and loss of independence in older adults.
The number one cause of accidental death over 65 is a slip/fall. If you are 75 or older and you suffer a slip/fall and go to the hospital, there is a 35% chance you will be dead in 12 months.
Try to lift something heavy every day. Some experts will use grip strength as a proxy for aging well.
Protein consumption has been shown to be more important as we age, as it helps preserve or slow down muscle loss. This is one of the main reasons why some doctors do not recommend extended-day fasting protocols for those over 50. Dr. Peter Attia, upon looking at his data, found that over a 3-year period, he lost 10 pounds of muscle. He immediately stopped his fasting protocols. He believes the risk does not warrant the benefit as a 50-year-old. As we age, our ability to harvest, say, protein also diminishes. For example, while we try to consume 2grams/kg of body weight, we may only harvest 80% of that protein.

(Joey) #9

Sounds like 75+ yr old fall victims should avoid the hospital! :wink:

But seriously, you make an important point about the need to maintain dietary protein and meaningful exercise routines no matter how old we get.

You need to mix it up. Do not do the same weight or exercise day after day. This is because the body will adjust very quickly if you do the same thing on a regular basis. The body (muscles) likes to be stressed and will overcompensate.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

I don’t know. I always thought resistance was futile. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Mark Rhodes) #12

I am just shy of 60. I am 6’2", 225 pounds at 15.2% body fat. When my “age” group says to me they are just “trying” to maintain I respond that maintenance is the path to failure. I am always trying to improve, take off more fat, add more muscle, hit a new PR. This is why the kids come by and ask me how I “do” it ( psst consistency) . I get quizzed on my cardio. “Nah, I mean yeah when I am kayaking or cycling, but that’s recreation, lifting properly will maintian heart health BETTER than aerobics”

I do think machines are better for us as we age. I do get more recovery pain in the wrong places lifting solely free weights. I think a machines arc of motion helps even gym rats like myself stay the proper range of motion. For this reason I do not do squats but will do hack squats, smith squats and leg presses.

(Mark Rhodes) #13

and if you want to see a 59 and change year old leg press 850 pounds, well as the kids say, it didn’t happen without pictures

(Doug) #14

Mark, right on! :slightly_smiling_face::sunglasses:

(Bob M) #15

OK, but that guy never should have been fasting, as he’s really thin and ripped to begin with. Unlike many of us with a lot of fat.

And, I remember him biking a century and doing a TON of exercise WHILE doing multiple day fasting.

I don’t work out when I fast multiple days, AND I still a lot of fat I could use. Has NOTHING to do with age.

(Bob M) #16

I think body weight training helps too. A lot of the stuff I’m doing requires a ton of balance, as I’m on one leg or one arm. Most regular lifting and particularly machines don’t require this level of balance.

Check out the shrimp squats here:

Or the the pistol squats here (number 5):

Been doing these for a long time and still can’t get as low as I should be getting.

Last time I checked, how does one maintain or improve Vo2max lifting weights? Vo2max is used as another proxy for health outcomes as we age.

This would depend on where you are starting from. If you are just starting with weights, then maybe use machines. Proper form is very important when beginning any weight-lifting program. Master your form and reap the benefits. As you progress, free weights are the way to go, as they engage more muscles and help maintain your balance, for example, which is very important as we age.

(Mark Rhodes) #18

(Mark Rhodes) #19

Unless, like me you lift extremely heavy. Even with exceptional form and a weight I could easily handle I tore my left pec 1 week before Covid shutdown. It was deemed an elective surgery.

(Mark Rhodes) #20

I fasted 5 days every 5-6 weeks, coffee and water for 18 months. Reversed osteoporosis and gained 33 LBM. Phinney said “imagine what ypu would have gained of you hadn’t of fasted”. Pfft. I was 53‐54. That I gained anything was amazing at the time.