Elderly & Resistance Training

(Bob M) #61

Could you expound on this? Are you saying that Lp(a) is the “bad” cholesterol and that lysine helps with lowering this?

(Mark Rhodes) #62

Well, I have been experimenting with carbohydrates but I am eight years in. Things like parsnips and sweet potatoes. I think these roots in particular might be benefical to gut health, Hard to say.

But here is a look at my numbers. Each year is actually the average of each day, Averaged Monthly, then the months are averaged annually.

Now it should be noted that the protein might look high but I do weight lift heavy. Still at 82kg of lean I eat an average of 2x the protein threshold. It could be why my Blood Glucose runs high ( but my insulin runs about 2 uiU/ml ) so it is not concerning to me. Here it is graphed using Chronometer which I got in 2019: Finally, I will share a single day picked at random in the last three months:

Is this helpful?

(Mark Rhodes) #63

Yes. I take between 6 and 12 g of Vitamin C. Lysine helps with connective tissues and guess what endotheilial cells are? Yep, connective tissue. Vit C is part of collagen production and Lysine also helps facilitate this while also chipping away at Lp(a). Proline would help as well.

But what is crazy is the outrageous was ApoB and A1 drive each other in relationship to Lp(a). Here is a closer look at that: image I am not the only one who has gotten these types of results. I n a FB group I help admin, plenty of people have done this. One you may know is Glenda Dean Carter? Anyway…If you recall my mentioning I have stayed friends with my retired cardiologist, here is what he said to me in August “Your Lp(a) results are amazing and may be related to your high Vitamin C intake? Are you taking Vitamin K4/K7? I can’t remember if you are on anti-coagulation or not.” and yes to K2 as Mk-4 and MK-7

(Denise) #64

That’s a lot of info for me to try and figure but I gave it a go. So you use Chronometer, I did try that out but it wasn’t as easy as MFP. I think it might be wise to treat myself to a Christmas present and splurge on some sort of smart-watch to tell me as much info as I can afford to spend :wink: I think there’s an app so I can easily get graphs as well. I’ll look around for one today, I have a Big 5, and need to go down for there anyway, or there’s always Amazon :wink:

(Mark Rhodes) #65

I am inspector Gadget.

Keto Mojo
Ketonix
Oura Ring
AliveCor6 EKG
BioSense ACTIVE EKG, I can measure in the wieght room
I like the Chronometer interface, I started with MyNetDIary as that was developed for diabetics but they just wouldn’t adjust for Keto so my app kept scolding me I wasn’t eating balanced.
A Garmin Watch
I use Excel for most of my charts and create my own spreadsheets. I am afterall an engineer.
I have access to a CAC for Agatston Scores for $49
Finally I have a Dexascan only an hour away and I order my blood labs through Own Your Labs.

(Mark Rhodes) #66

You might also find this interesting : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33290094/#:~:text=The%20nutrients%20like%20protein%2C%20lysine,health%20in%20resource-limited%20settings.

(Denise) #67

I’m looking through the watches now, and already have a chronometer, but I don’t care for it. Probably just stick with MFP. They scold me too, but it shows a nice pie-chart and other reports when I want t compare things through the year. I’m getting super sleepy as I woke up around 2 today.

I’ll be back around later, but thanks so much for naming all you gadgets Inspector :wink:

(Bob M) #68

That’s good and all, but my Lp(a) averages 230-300 nmol/L. I would have to cut my Lp(a) by 70% (at 230) to get to your highest value. To get to 6, I’d have to cut by over 97%.

Here are my last two tests (this test was 10/18 of this year):

I’m basically stable over 7 months.

There’s no way taking anything is going to get me to your levels.

And I have a CAC scan score of zero, meaning that if Lp(a) is causing an issue, it’s not through atherosclerosis.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #69

I didn’t know that, though I’m not sure I really care, lol! :grin::grin:

@Goldengirl52 The formula for BMI is very simple: BMI = W ÷ H2, where W = weight in kilos and H = height in metres. The tricky part in the U.S. is getting the measurements to be metric.

So I weigh 227 lbs. and am 5’9" tall. That makes my BMI = (227 ÷ 2.2) / (69 × 0.0254)2 = 33.59.

(Edith) #70

Welcome back! I stray away from the forum every once in a while but it doesn’t take long for me to come back. I’ve now been here for over six years.

I am reading this thread with interest although at not quite 58, I don’t consider myself elderly… yet. I do understand how important it is to maintain my muscle, so I shall be strength training until I’m dead. :laughing:

I did hear someone say once, “Old is ten years older than I am.” If you look at it that way, you will never be old.

What did your cardiologist say about your ApoB results?
If interested, look at the work of Dr. Allan Sniderman, a research cardiologist from McGill. Since 1980, he has been talking about ApoB being a more accurate measure of the risk of angiographic coronary lesions than LDL-C. His research has led him to develop a 30-year causal risk model versus the widely accepted 10-year risk model. Think of medicine 3.0

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #72

I’m still getting used to the idea that I am entitled to a senior discount, lol. I just don’t think of myself as being old enough to quality.

But to prove your point: when I was a teenager, there was an eighty-year-old lady in our church who would volunteer at a local retirement home because she enjoyed working with “the old people”! :grin:

Makes sense. Old doesn’t mean our age number is high… Some people get old quicker…

(Joey) #74

Ha! Same … except she was 88 yrs old at the time and it was my grandmother…

She volunteered at the senior center across town to take care of “her kids.” Moreover, she’d take the city bus rather than a taxicab and she refused to use a senior discount bus card … as she insisted: “It’s none of that bus driver’s business how old I am!”

(Jane) #75

I bought my sedentary 80-yr old dad ankle weighs he could use while watching TV. He never used them.

I will be flying to Vegas next week to celebrate his 90th birthday. I know 90 is ancient LOL but I have seen his muscle tone decline significantly over the last 10 years and he has lost mobility and his world is very small these days.

He went low carb 4 years ago and it really helped but if he would only do some resistance training at home he would reap the benefits. His choice. I offered but do not nag or lecture.

(Robin) #76

It’s hard to watch. And sad. But for his diet, he would likely be worse off.
Ankle weights are a great idea!

(Mark Rhodes) #77

More amazed that I would track this, and show the interplay. Basically you cannot move one without affecting the others.

What about the discordance between LDL-C and ApoB? Some studies have shown this is as high as 20% in the middle-aged cohort. Also, remember that most cardiologists still use the 10-year risk model.

(Mark Rhodes) #79

I personally haven’t been as worried about that. And my chsrt foes make it clear you cannot focus on one without moving the levers on others. Ill be happy to see Feldman’s news which I thonk comes out tomorrow.

?