Eggtober Octstravaganza - 31 days of Healthy Protein Eating - Carnivore Challenge

eggs

(Michael) #101

Breakfast. Heart, liver, lungs and ground.

(Karen) #102

Stair running first thing but it felt harder today. Seems to be the norm at the moment one day okay the next not so good. I am all the more sure i need to eat mainly steak. The brisket was okay but not as tasty as steak. I think i need to do it in the oven when and if i cook some again rather than slowclooker.

So brunch was 2 x sea bass filets which were very nice.

Had the second half of the brisket for dinner and straight after cooked up some bacon. I had hard-boiled 6 eggs last night and put in the fridge and decided to chop up 3 and add to the chopped bacon in the pan. Oh flippin heck it was so niceā€¦ i need to do it again tomorrow and in prep went to the Company Shop to buy some.more baconā€¦ came out with 6 sirloins, 2 large ribeyes that i will cut in half, 2 x bacon bits and 1 pack of normal bacon, and 4 duck legs ( came with seperate hoisin sauce but i will heat up without) couldnā€™t get the same bacon i had used up, shame cos it was perfectly up my street. Not too salty, thinly sliced and cooked well without oozing loads of water. I hope the bacon i settled for is tasty.
Half filled another big h/d bin liner for charity shop.
Daughter home safe from Crete this evening.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #103

Thought I might be hungry, so I boiled some eggs. I must have been hungry, because those were the most delicious eggs Iā€™ve ever had. And I really, really donā€™t like hard-boiled eggs. Amazing! :egg::egg:

(Geoffrey) #104

Yes maā€™am, Smoke over indirect heat at 225Ā°F until the internal temp is 135-140Ā°F, about 2 hours. You can use any wood you like. Hickory is the tried and true. Iā€™m partial to cherry and applewood

My first meal of the day. I do love me some Cajun cooking. Yum!
1 lb of andouille sausage
1 lb shrimp
1 lb crawfish
All boiled and served in a Cajun butter sauce.
Of course I did not eat the corn or potatoes.

I donā€™t particularly like hard-boiled eggs though they may come handy and I donā€™t hate them or anything.
Hunger easily helps, sure but in my case itā€™s the frequency. If I ate hard-boiled eggs in the last days, I surely wonā€™t enjoy them immensely. If it was long agoā€¦ And if they are freshly made and warm (and I am not satiated anymore but I rarely eat if I am), thatā€™s another case entirely! :wink: I enjoyed quite many hard-boiled eggs in my life but the time in-between wasnā€™t short at all.

I have this with many dishes, even the ones I like. I just get bored of them at some point. I wouldnā€™t like to eat scrambled eggs every day. Sponge cake buns every day? Yes please. But that is my bread with various things on top or with it so maybe that doesnā€™t countā€¦ :wink: But that fluffiness is really hard to get bored ofā€¦

(Judy Thompson) #106

@Geezy56 beautiful Cajun dish! Love those crawdads!

I learned something in the past 24 hours. Yogurt is not my friend. The little bowl I had yesterday, fermented 20 hours, produced almost immediate scratchy throat and ears and light nausea. After the last 4 hours fermentation I refrigerated it and this morning while jarring it I had a few bites which reproduced those symptoms again, which had recovered since yesterday.
In the old days Iā€™d have said Iā€™m coming down with a bad cold. Iā€™ve been sneezing and still itchy throat throughout the afternoon gig.
So no more yogurt. I donā€™t make it for me, itā€™s for hubbyā€™s smoothies, and he has serious ear blockage right now. Makes one wonder.

It seems international. I had a late breakfast at about 2:30pm of bacon eggs and Jarlsberg cheese. So, by dinner time at about 4 hours later, I was not hungry. But at about 8pm I felt peckish. Mrs Bear always has some hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I had 3. they were perfect with salt.

In the morning we had driven down to a beach to walk together in the water while the Labrador swam next to us. The sun was shining and the breeze was soft. The wading is because I have had a sore knee and I want to combine some seawater therapy with a bit of water resistance. We chatted for longer than planned.

The wildflowers are out so I had to go and look at those as well.

This is the road down the hill to the bay (we drive on the left side):

Oh Crikey, that looks amazing delicious.

Might just be that batch?
For some reason it makes me wonder about fermenting meat. I guess that is what biltong is.

(Karen) #108

You must try how i have been estimg them yesterday and today. I will probably being cooking this recipe for a while to come. I like fried eggs but these hard boiled chopped into bacon pan with bacon are even nicer. The whites taste so much nicer and non greasy even when i have sautĆØd in butter like today.!

(Karen) #109

Up stair running about half 8 this morning then outside to read my books and drink my coffee, black w/o. I am still doing the hand release push ups and small weights for shoulder work though not into the high reps that i was doingā€¦just a small amount daily. Finished another book this morning. Took some time to read and had to do it in quite small chunks as it was quite a hard book to read and i am not sure i fully understood it all but some things from the book will remain. It was very intense and i think more for theologians of more academic intelligence than me. I have found since my Stroke that i canā€™t retain half as much information :unamused: ah well it is what it is, i am alive and kickingā€¦so what if i am not so bright!

Started in the loft this morning, clearing out rubbish and stuff i just donā€™t need to hang on to. I had a drawer full of bras that i bought from charity shops to cut up and use in dresses that needed a little bit of a helping hand, i will never use them now so into the bag they go. I have already filled one big bin liner and it is feeling so much easier the more i let go. After the first big bag i decided to have a little break and get some brunch. 4 thin rashers of bacon and 3 hardboiled eggs sauteĆØd in butter absolutely delish, can so recommend it as an alternative to fried eggs. No where near as greasy.

Right i have nearly finished my chilli earl grey tea and going back up to start filling another bag. Catch up later.

@FrankoBear: Lovely flowers! Alvaro missed the colors on the reptilesā€¦ They would have been great looking like the flowers, he said.

Reminds me of a Penrose and a Hawking book, I didnā€™t even read the latter yet though. I donā€™t even know where we put itā€¦ I understand things from the Penrose one (I made Mandelbrot set drawing programs, after allā€¦ once Alvaro did one for a 64 byte into competition :smiley: and the Penrose tiles were simple enough too. not WHY they are infinite and not repeating) but itā€™s a complex thing and I lost even interest at the deepest points. But I still liked it enough.

I have some new books to read now. We even bought the first Witcher book but I still havenā€™t finished the black hole one and I picked up a very fascination little book about the hardships of elite athletes when we last visited Alvaroā€™s Mom.
I barely even ate until I finished books when I was a kid but there was no online distraction back then.

Never heard about that a version, it makes sense it can be a thing too though :wink: I never find my eggs greasy at all (I do use very little added fat) but itā€™s still an idea for the times when I have leftover boiled eggs I donā€™t want in their original form and donā€™t fancy the extra work to put them into a more complicated dish than yoursā€¦
Though I usually can eat up a few hard-boiled eggs in some days. I never boil 50 again :smiley:But it sounds like a nice food. The butter makes the hard-boiled eggs less dry (my main problem with them especially the yolks. I prefer runny yolks but there are various reasons to end up with some hard-boiled ones too. or just them when they are made over open fire).

Alvaro cooked a nice pork stew over open fire (my idea again, of course. he just checks what vegs we have in big amounts and if we donā€™t have any like now, he is lost. the only exception is when he is aware he just bought a bunny. but he didnā€™t want to cook it yet, apparently). Yum. But tiny. 1400g pork doesnā€™t make much. I chopped some wood as I felt like it, it was tricky as it had 2 huge nails inside and it wasnā€™t cooperative but I like challenges and I won.
Alvaro tasted the beef stew yesterday, didnā€™t particularly like it so I put the leftover into the freezer as lovely emergency food, it will come handy. Now I had pork stew. And leftover pork roast, pork liver, eggs etc.

{No food topic from here on.}
I am less at my computer now, I tried to do some cleaning, we threw out some boxes (not easy, we had to take off the plastic and metal and cut it apartā€¦ the stationary bike came in a really hardy, thick one!) and some other thingsā€¦ My threshold to throw away stuff is horrible, I keep almost everything not very, very clearly garbage, thatā€™s why I try not to get things in the first place but I am a bit easily tempted, last time I got 2 tablecloths from Alvaroā€™s Momā€¦ But they are pretty and doesnā€™t take up much placeā€¦
I even threw out some arty things (like my messed up sculptures. I only use a cheap homemade play-dough for it and that is hard to shape. I donā€™t have any skill either but I am sure a proper material would help a bit. my attempts usually look like if I carved them from potatoes and I can assure everyone that my carving skills are non-existent). But not my rocks, I find all of them precious to me, even the odd shaped onesā€¦ My ā€œartyfarty tableā€ got space! It was totally cluttered, I always have zillion rocks, many ā€œsculpturesā€ (those misshapen pathetic things I make from my play-dough. itā€™s painful even for me so I rarely make them but itā€™s fun sometimes and certain shapes arenā€™t so bad, I have a decent looking colorful snail and my 2nd cat may look bad but only if you never saw my first one!), fridge magnets (I am not choosy, I paint on different things, not only on rocks), acrylic paint (very, very many), watercolor, brushes and everything else on it. Now I put a lot of clutter together into a box. I will get them out if I will need them but I really hope that a tiny part of my table will be left to put my occasional paper on it. As I am in m y watercolor phase so I donā€™t paint tiny rocks held in my hand. And a big watercolor paper held in my hand kind of worked but it would be better to have some place on the table.
Both Alvaro and I can fill any amount of tables and kitchen counters and any flat surface in no time. Even my chest press bench isnā€™t safe, at all. My own computer table is so big (I made that too, I have a little beam in my room and that gave me a stable leg, I just added 2 more, they arenā€™t so stable but good enough) to hold my papers and whatevers. Itā€™s always full. We just tend use all the available flat surface around me and itā€™s a bit of a problem as the floor is flat too. I am somewhat good at keeping that empty, I consider it not a free surface area but Alvaro with his computer hardware hoardingā€¦ Itā€™s not sooo bad, the walking paths in his room are still pretty wide most of the timeā€¦ But itā€™s a dangerous place, I kick a HDD too often.
He needs furniture for his collection but itā€™s surprisingly hard to get proper low furniture (as the edges of the room has a very low ceiling, our upstairs rooms are like that) and we are busy with other things when we go to the city anyway. But one day it will be our main focus.

So, it seems I am a tiny bit better at throwing out stuff and if I started to do things in the house, I will continue.

(KM) #111

Funny, my objection to hard boiled eggs is that the yolks are so dry and chalky, bet this recipe solves that, too! It looks delicious.

(Judy Thompson) #112

What a interesting idea, twice cooked eggs. Iā€™m gonna have to try that!

Yay, so many of us will try this dish :smiley: But if I want it to happen with bacon, I need to do it very soon as I only have a little bit as last time I couldnā€™t find the ones on sale, not even their empty place, odd. Maybe that particular supermarket didnā€™t do it for some reasonā€¦ But I so like those bacon ends, plenty of meat, good priceā€¦ Only the expected amount of bad stuff, not ideal but it canā€™t really hurt meā€¦

Oh well, I have other things. I try to use very little processed stuff anyway. As I can now.

(Judy Thompson) #114

So yes, I think I have a cold which is why the yogurt brought up those symptoms! So Iā€™ll pay attention and notice which foods exacerbate and which foods relieve those symptoms. Coffee with hwc and collagen peptides has relieved the symptoms, and no licking the yogurt spoon this morning! Rib eyes for lunch after church, they seem sorta thin so I wonā€™t sous vide them.

(Robin) #115

Iā€™m always surprised to hear you call that bacon. Looks so very different than ours.
Glad youā€™re still purging. I think itā€™s one of the best things to do for your mental health.

(Michael) #116

Breakfast today , part of a chuck roast

(Karen) #117

Absolutely doe solve the issue. I only hard boil for 7 mins, the eggs are maybe small to medium size and chuck in fridge till i want them. Start frying the bacon and cut it up with scissors while still cooking then toss in the chopped eggs. Add some butter to pan if it needs it and mix and coat the mixture. I am literally only realling heating the egg through. The yolk is still fairly soft and moist to eat and the whites just seem to taste so much nicer than eaten cold. Takes less than a few minutes to do so it is such a quick meal.

(Karen) #118

Is is perhaps because i havenā€™t cooked it to crisp it? I thought bacon is bacon wherever you buy it. I like crispy but just lately have been enjoying it just shown the pan which is how i was brought up to eat it.

(Karen) #119

So i went back up to the loft and filled bags and cleared stuff. Got rid of old rickity clothes rails to the skip plus the bin bag full of hangers. Got 2 more full bin liners and a half one with books, plus odd n sods for the charity shop trip tomorrow. I have done well and getting some serious feel good therapy! :joy: dropped the stuff at the skip and went on to take Raymond to the heritage cafe at the Lochs in Beeston for a cuppa. Then after dropping him back home returned to my house just after 5 and cooked dinner. The large ribeye i bought yesterday that i said i would cut in half was actually 2 good sized steaks. So i have bought 10 steaks altogther for Ā£11 !!! It was flippin lovely and i couldnā€™t help but add some more bacon n eggs. 3 rashers and 3 of the hard boiled eggs. I may have to go back to Company Shop for some more tomorrow if the have anyā€‹:wink:

(KM) #120

Regular cook

Very well cooked crispy

And it really is red/brown like that, not pink even when uncooked. I suspect itā€™s because typically bacon here in the US is smoked.

Edit, this package / brand of bacon is something you can find in any supermarket in the US, basically anything in the bacon case will look much like this, maybe thicker slices. There are other options available but they are unusual and more expensive. If I asked a neighbor to pick up some bacon for me, they would not ask what kind, they would come home with this.