Eggnog?

(johnp71) #1

There’s not much I miss from my obese days, but damn I miss EGGNOG! Does anyone have a good recipe that preferably doesn’t have alcohol? I even have my moose mug ready to enjoy it…

(Ethan) #2

I am also VERY interested in this!

(Ethan) #3

This looks promising

(Ethan) #4

I don’t drink alcohol, so just don’t put it in!

(johnp71) #5

I’m intrigued by that recipe! All the recipes I saw before had alcohol so any possible bacteria from the eggs would be killed. I may have to give it a shot.

(Vicki Stroud) #6

I have been making “eggnog” I just use unsweetened almond milk, heavy cream, eggs (raw), lots of nutmeg, some Xanthan Gum to thicken if you like and sweetener to taste, I just just my stick blender to mix it.

(Chris Bair) #7

Here’s the recipe I use: https://www.ketochow.xyz/recipe/easy-keto-egg-nog-year-round/

(Brian) #8

If you’re worried about raw eggs, you can pasteurize your own. It’s not hard. Bring room temperature eggs up to 140 - 142 deg (F) and keep them there for 3 - 5 minutes. Cool, refrigerate, done. You just don’t want to get them much over 145 deg or you’ll start to cook them. Some claim you can take it to around 150 deg (F) and you’ll be OK. The thing you’re trying to accomplish is getting the yolk of the egg up to 138 deg (F). That would give you pasteurized eggs to work with. Same texture and general properties of a raw egg, less risk of salmonella type stuff.

Eggnog is my favorite treat. Here is the recipe I made for eggnog at Thanksgiving:

Need
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 pint of heavy cream
1 cup of sugarless almond milk
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites
Brandy (zero carb according to DietDoctor.com)
DaVinci Sugar Free Egg Nog Syrup

Directions

1. Stand mixer bowl
    a) BEAT egg yolks w/ 1 tablespoon vanilla extract until the yolks lighten (go slowly)
    b) ADD heavy cream, almond milk, and nutmeg (go slow)
    c) STIR to combine
    d) PLOP in big bowl
    e) STASH into chill

2. Stand mixer bowl
    a) BEAT egg whites to soft peaks
    b) Gradually ADD the 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract and beat until soft peaks form

3. Big bowl
    a) Gently FOLD the egg whites into the mixture
    b) CHILL and serve

This makes the egg nog base. Then people can add the egg nog syrup (sugar free) and top it off with additional nutmeg or even a shot of brandy if they wish- I know I do).

How Much have you Lost

How is this one?

(johnp71) #12

I made Chris’ recipe and it was awesome!!