Egg yolks- bad for fatty liver

(MooBoom) #1

A friend of mine who is vegetarian and new to Keto just got her blood results back from her doc.

She has fatty liver disease and her doctor has told her she isn’t to have more than 2 egg yolks per week.

My eyes are rolling so hard they may flip into the back of my head. I’d like some science to repudiate the advice she’s been given- can anyone help?

(Ron) #2

Here is a couple-

And an article-
http://fattyliverdietguide.org/eat-your-eggs-choline/

(MooBoom) #3

Thank you kindly! All have been passed on and I’m happy to say my friend has decided to continue eating eggs unrestricted.

(Marta Loftfield) #4

@MooBoom I don’t have a study but I had mild fatty liver on a CT scan in March(not for liver problem). Been keto and fasting for 3 months since had MRI Monday for something else… No fatty liver. N=1 Oncologist surprised and pleased.

(Teresa (turtle)) #5

My NAFLD was diagnosed by ultrasound and was reversed after a few months on Keto.

(Alec) #6

Ooh… I wish I could go with your friend to her next dr visit and stuff those studies down her dr’s throat!! I get angry when the people we trust the most fail us.

(karen) #7

I find it hardest when the advice is almost good. “Limiting carbs is ok as long as you avoid saturated fat”. New idea gaining traction + old unsubstantiated advice still tacked onto the end of the sentence as if it were a gramatical necessity. “Cholesterol isn’t the be-all end all … but since your number is high, we’ll want you on a statin just in case.” I start to trust, and then bam!, it becomes obvious the person’s not actually thinking any more. :rage:

(Linda) #8

Consider for a moment the awkward position the all of the medical institutions are in today. Does anyone honestly believe they are going to come right out and say, “Sorry for all of the past 40 years of terrible advice we’ve been giving. We’re sorry we’ve helped to make millions of people obese and diabetic and chronically ill. Sorry about all of the premature deaths. Oops!”

I predict they’ll just quit talking about diet at all and then sit tight waiting for all of the victims to die off before they reverse course. Any conflicts between the well being of any institution and any given individual - well, we all know how those things work out.

(Norma Laming) #9

If she’s new to Keto and ? former vegetarian then her tests are showing the effects of what was likely high carb. From what I’ve read and heard on podcasts even 6 months might not be enough to demonstrate an improvement

(RL) #10

That doctor is really out of touch. Even my doctors who are still preaching the low fat they’ve heard for 40 years admit now that eggs (with yolks) are good for me now. Didn’t the AHA even reverse their position on eggs?

(Brian) #11

I would be a lot more worried about fruit than I would be about eggs, and the time I spent as a vegetarian and vegan was filled with lots of fruit. Don’t know if your friend is a heavy fruit eater or not.

(Ron) #12

There is a difference though between the past and still continuing to dole out that same advise in the current and the future.:anguished:

(Alec) #13

Awkwardness vs people dying… I think the institutions need to get their priorities right! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(Linda) #14

I couldn’t agree more. But that would require them to admit they’ve been wrong. I for one am not standing on on foot waiting for that to happen.

(Alec) #15

Brian
I agree, that was my first thought when I read the post. As fruit sugar HAS to be processed through the liver, if the energy is not required at that specific time, it is stored as fat. The bit I don’t know is whether the mechanism tends towards local fat storage (ie in the liver) or does it store it all over the body??

(E.O.) #16

Thisarticle directly states carb intake causes fatty liver, and it also links to lots of studies related to Fatty Liver.

Some time ago, I saw Dr. Berg including brief reference in one of his videos to this about how a lack of bile salts can lead to fatty liver. Summarizing his video, he was thinking a short course of refined bile salts reverses the issue in a few months to a year, unless the person has the gallbladder removed. On his YouTube he has a video specific about reversing it. I’ve also seen a number of years ago a great article (I think it was on pub-med as I read there frequently but couldn’t find it now searching for it) on the role of chlorophyll in helping liver issues resolve and/or not progress as rapidly.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

It gets stored in the liver, which is why it’s called “fatty liver disease.” Ethanol used to be the major cause of fatty liver disease, and it used to be that if you had it, your doctor assumed you were lying if you said you didn’t drink. This went by the boards, however, when children started coming down with it. For a while, they were calling it non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, but I notice they’ve started leaving out any mention of alcohol. After all, it’s caused by the same biological process: the same metabolic pathway in the liver handles both ethanol and fructose.

(Alec) #18

So you’re saying that fruit essentially gives you a fatty liver? I assume only if you don’t need the fuel right now, and I guess if you never have low insulin, you never get to burn it off.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Yeah, fructose and ethanol are the main causes of fatty liver disease. After my earlier post, I came across an article about FLD, and it says that some of the triglycerides created by de novo lipogenesis can escape into the bloodstream, but mostly they clog up the liver, causing inflammation and eventually killing cells (i.e., the FLD becomes steatohepatitis).

Avoiding sucrose/fructose for as little time as a week can be of enormous help to your liver. Dr. Lustig describes a study he did on some kids with FLD, and after a week, the kids in the treatment arm had lost weight (on an isocaloric diet, no less!) and seen a noticeable improvement in the inflammation of their livers, whereas the children in the control arm maintained their weight and saw no improvement in their liver disease.

I can testify that, before even going full keto, just cutting out all sweets (never mind the grains, etc.) made me feel significantly better in only two or three days. I felt so good, in fact, that a few weeks later I did go full keto.

(Rossi Luo) #20

Oh Jesus, thanks for your links!!
I have been doing it wrong to treat my fatty liver!!
After reading the links from you, it said polyunsaturated oil is a cause of fatty liver too, as I have been eating fish oil supplements all the time after starting keto diet!!!
Fortunately I saw the links from you!! Thanks and thanks!