Eating with other people

(Laurie) #1

About 15 years ago I did Atkins for a year. I never cheated (although someone might have slipped me a sugary Coke instead of a Diet Coke by mistake). Then I gave in to temptation/peer pressure at Christmas time, and that was it for me.

Since I began keto in July 2018, I’ve found that it’s best if I don’t eat with anyone other than my boyfriend, who is supportive. He eats his junk food but that’s his business.

Our next door neighbors host a potluck once a week, but for one reason or another we never went. Last week my boyfriend went alone, and when he came home he said it was too bad I wasn’t there. I know he really wished I was there. He doesn’t ask for much, so I went with him yesterday.

Most of the food was meat, deviled eggs, and so on, with a spinach salad and a sugar-free squash pie with nut crust. But there was also a full-sugar, full-flour cake that looked lovely. I had some, and it was lovely, so I had some more. I had lots! Miraculously, the scale didn’t show a weight gain this morning. But I felt stiff and cobwebby today.

I believe I’m a food addict and can’t get away with cheating every week. I’m torn between never going to the potlucks vs. somehow becoming strong enough to not eat the cake.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Try this: fill up on the meat and deviled eggs, and stay away from the dessert table.

This might also help: You don’t have to swear off sugar and carbs for ever. In fact, you can have all you want . . . tomorrow. Just don’t have any right now!

(Running from stupidity) #3

Or eat a couple of steaks before you go.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #4

As long as there is meat on the menu I think there is no problem to eat with others at gatherings. Of course maybe the group will want dessert and you will stand out, or you had your meat serving without potatoes. But I think this situations and explications can be handled easy with diplomacy.

(Diane) #5

Eat something filling with protein and fat before going. It might help.

(Karen) #6

I have this problem a little bit as well. I’d be willing to bet a lot of people doing this forum. One bite is a slippery slope, and I’ve always justified eating one bite. It’s not that I crave it, I don’t go seeking it, but I have a hard time not taking that one bite. Probably best when you go to eat out with other people that you eat an entire meal before you go.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I sympathize with all of you who struggle in social situations. It’s hard when you know what’s working for you but are pressured by family and friends to have some pie, “it won’t kill you to have a little. It’s a holiday, give yourself a break”.

People don’t understand that we don’t always want to do what’s right for us, we do it because we know it’s best for our health. Sure, I loved desert, pizza, and bread and beer as much as any of them do. But I have the intelligence and will power to do what I need to do. As all of you do if you dig deep and harness that power of your own. Channel that stubborn kid inside you who wouldn’t do anything you didn’t want to do.

Be the masters of your life and destiny. I have given up many harmful habits in my life which were centered around social activity. Drinking, smoking, drugs, and eating bad unhealthy foods because everyone else is. I’m really determined to make my life experience different than it has been. I want to be free of my medical issues. I want to live a long life so I can be there for my adult autistic son. These are my motivators to stay on the path that I believe will make me the best man I can be.

Not saying that I never stray on keto, but when I do it’s a holiday and I partake a little without going overboard. I don’t want to be like, I’ll never eat a piece of desert ever again. But I don’t have a problem with it a couple times a year while some do, so know your self and do what you need to do and stay strong my friends.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Even if you don’t believe, I believe in your inner strength Laurie. Go to the potluck with your boyfriend, eat what’s right for you. Don’t gorge yourself before, but bring a delicious keto dish to share. Pick the choices that fit your path. Stay strong. Women are strong, you’ve got this if you believe in yourself. And this goes to all of my keto brothers and sisters.

(Running from stupidity) #9

Or do both!

(Laurie) #10

Thank you all so much. Your suggestions and support have helped me think this through.

Nobody seemed to even notice what I was eating, and there was actually no pressure to eat anything. I’m basically a recluse, and think it was more a matter of being stressed out by so many people and a new situation. Nothing bad happened, but it still takes its toll.

Also, I think I got confused by the squash pie, which was so similar to “keto-friendly” treats, and might even have been intended as such (I didn’t ask). I don’t make keto treats at home–partly because I’m lazy, and partly because I know it can be a slippery slope. I just have to remember the slippery slope part!

So I think my strategy should be to stay as close as I can to carnivore, no matter where I am. At home I don’t eat squash or other vegetables, although I do use things like tomatoes and onions in cooking. So I can follow the same rules when I eat out. At the potluck, the chili, duck, liver pate, cheese, and deviled eggs were all fine. The spinach salad, maybe. Or maybe not; I think they said there was honey in the salad dressing.

As has been mentioned, I can also eat before I go. And bring LOTS of food, so I can pig out on meaty goodness if I want to.

(Running from stupidity) #11

Ain’t that the truth. I’m sitting getting uptight because my wife has just asked two people over for dinner, and they haven’t even responded yet.

(Laurie) #12

Oh gawd! People coming over–maybe??? It’s the end of the world. Better to not be told in advance.

I feel ya brother. I also understand why my father was so weird and antisocial, because I’m turning into him.

(Susan) #14

You would be surprised, Scarlet, my taste buds have changed being on Keto (and I would guess that yours likely have as well) so that even if you did taste it, it would taste way too sweet and make you feel sick afterwards if you actually ate any! This has happened to many people that do indulge, they feel sick for a day or two afterwards. Your idea is a good one, though, you have come so far already in your Keto journey, you should be so proud of yourself.

You have done great!! I am glad that you had such a great summer with your family =).

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

It’s still a decent idea, Scarlett :grinning:

(Susan) #17

Yes! I even stopped having any artificial sweeteners the beginning of June as well. So now things with no sweeteners (such as herbal teas) taste sweet to me =).

(Susan) #19

That is great; Scarlet. I love the Twinings Herbal Teas as well =). There is one that I like to have in the evening with Camomile and Vanilla in it that is very calming and nice to drink before bed =).

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #20

I tell myself that the cake looks like type two diabetes, followed by foot amputation, and then early death. It’s easy skip the cake with that thought in my head.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

That’s essentially the suggestion I received, early on: when you see carbohydrate-laden stuff, think “deathfood”! Works for me . . . :skull_and_crossbones:

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #22

I love the Twinings herbal teas. That’s my evening drink in front of the TV.

(traci simpson) #23

Not really. I’m the same way. If someone brings cake or I go to my Moms house (she always has cake) I’m gonna have some and not even think about it. It’s very hard to not eat it which is why I don’t have it in my house. It’s easy for me to not eat french fries or bread but not cake or cookies if it’s right in front of me. We all are different so please don’t say “oh it’s easy, just eat meat” I eat meat - lots of it but I still from time to time eat cake. It will always be my downfall.