Eating Well-Rounded

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

I’m getting ready to transition back to ZC. I am prepping a lot so there are zip excuses, of course. Currently I’m planning on making several dozen portions of brisket, which my stomach tolerates very well (I have a gastrectomy). I usually supplement with some liver and heart on and off.

I also may make a beef tendon broth/soup-ish creation to supplement, but not quite sure yet. I do love beef tendon pho (I have great VLC pho skills and it’s easy to cut out all veg).

Any suggestions for supplementing other meats? I also eat primarily beef ZC, with seafood as mood drives me. I dislike seafood much more here in the Midwest. New York and New Jersey spoiled me in that regard.

Carnivore / Zero Carb March 2017
(Tom Seest) #2

Are you going to do any lamb? Seems pretty available here, and supposedly has high amounts of DHA…

(Doug Stone) #3

Is there a ZC sub forum or a way for the unfamiliar to learn more about it?

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

We are posting in it :slight_smile:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #5

This may sound a bit nuts, but if your goal is to be healthy, I honestly don’t think you need to worry about including a lot of variety. Variety is a notion from plant eating, because plants are nutritionally poor, and full of toxins. If you are dependent on them, it’s probably wise to rotate them around so you cover your bases, and don’t get too much of one toxin. Meat is complete and safe. I actually think you could just eat beef and be fine for a long time.

If, on the other hand, you want variety for pleasure, or your own sanity, then do what you said you were going to do with seafood. Eat it as your mood drives you.

(Meeping up the Science!) #6

I might. Watching money so I’ve held off. Lamb is 10-15/pound here. There’s a great local butcher in Plainfield with amazing lamb, though. Might see if they have it at Costco tomorrow, too.

The 10/pound might not be bad since I naturally transition to IF when zero carb, so…

I could also make lamby broths, too. Hm!

(Larry Lustig) #7

Generally find leg of lamb at Costco for, I think, $6 a pound.

(Meeping up the Science!) #8

Good bye, money. At least it’s cheaper than eating crap, right? Right??

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #9

Health problems are very expensive.

(Meeping up the Science!) #10

Thank you, Amber! I feel better about my love of beef, now. I don’t tolerate chicken well, especially since the gastrectomy. If it’s not a chicken thigh the stomach rebels. I cannot eat anything lean any more without broth or added fat - just too uncomfortable.

Actually it doesn’t sound nuts at all. I thought about what you said, and when I lost my first 200lbs or so it was with zero variety, eating mostly ground beef and beef heart, with veggies. This was done out of necessity, as at the time I was unemployed and very disabled, however I had the best results. I try for tendon and stuff because I have joint issues more for variety. I notice it compliments the low-inflammation of the diet well.

Seafood is definitely hit or miss here. Fresh raw squid would be a no-brainer, but we just don’t have the availability here, sadly. Frozen fish I just never eat. I…have no idea why. Just don’t eat it. Mind shuts off, don’t cook it. No clue, since I never have the issue with meat.

A lack of variety is actually the best thing for someone with food addiction. Variety is dangerous, I’d argue, for us.

In therapy, I call it “analysis paralysis” because when we have too many choices we cannot make good decisions. Like for kids, you should always just give them one of maybe 3 choices tops. Too many choices is counterproductive. I often forget to apply that to myself :wink: So. Not crazy at all. If anything, sound psychology on your part, Amber.

(Tom Seest) #11

Oddly, I can eat chicken that we get directly from farmers that we know. But, if I eat it out at a restaurant like Outback, I have a major stomach blow up.

I’m assuming it may be hormones or something else in the meat, but I don’t honestly know. I just don’t eat chicken out much.

The exception is that I will eat it on the ships when I cruise, because the pieces are much smaller so I assume they were farmed in some other country and picked up when the ship was in the other ports.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #12

Excellent point about too many choices! One of the things I love about ZC is I spend so little time thinking about food. I used to plan a lot. Now it’s pretty simple.

(Sondra Rose) #13

Donna,
Some Costco stores carry boneless leg of lamb from Australia for $5 per pound. It is yummy!

(Meeping up the Science!) #14

Thinking of doing this in my instant pot if I can find the lamb. Now off to research times!

(cindychalker) #15

Cheaper than what we can buy it in Australia!!

(Mark) #16

Don’t know how you feel about Braunschweiger but I love it I pair it up with a little kerrygold cheese and it’s the perfect snack and they say it’s pretty nutrient dense,fills you up too

(Henna Selnes) #17

Great thread. I too am getting ready for the zc challenge. I am making beef bone broth now, all the skins to our salmon is being fried alone for like a jerky type food. Loading up on beef as I can. But I do see a lot soups, or bases for the next 30 days. Plus it’s cold in Norway. :wind_face: Thanks for the tips!

(Henna Selnes) #18

I will be making this also. We love it, and it’s a tradional food made here. (Norway) its called leverpostei here. Just make sure yours has no fillers. Ingredients should be liver, cream, eggs in some recipes, and spices. But great idea!

(Larry Lustig) #19

I love it too, but 3% carbohydrate by weight.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #20

That’s got to be carbs from liver, though, right?
#zerocarbisnotzerocarb

On the flipside, there’s probably trace amounts of corn syrup and onion powder.