Eating Well-Rounded

(G. Andrew Duthie) #21

I guess it makes sense given that onion has carbs, but how much is too much when it comes to onion powder? It and garlic powder are often seasonings I use in meat rubs and marinades.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #22

The point is Zero Carb does not mean Zero Carb! Itā€™s the bane of my life. :laughing:

Zero Carb means plant free. To eat this way exactly by definition, you can eat liver or shellfish or eggs or cream, all of which have carbs, but onion is out!

Rule of thumb: If you find yourself counting grams of carbs, thatā€™s not ZC. Thatā€™s plain old keto.

In practice, most zero carbers have a plant food or two they know (by testing!) doesnā€™t hinder their results. Mine is :coffee:. For me, onion family plants, if consumed frequently, seem to make my depressive symptoms return. I donā€™t know the bounds of this with exactitude, because I donā€™t want to fuck around with finding out what the exact borders of suicidal depression are, for hopefully obvious reasons. It just isnā€™t that important to me to keep eating onions and garlic. I know I can have it from time to time, and not more.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #23

Fair enough. Iā€™m not personally concerned with zero carb, though itā€™s something I may look into in the future.

Iā€™d just never really given any thought to the possibility of onion powder being a significant source of carbs, so itā€™s something that caught my eye.

Thanks for the feedback.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #24

Right. So Braunschweiger is a caution food for keto because of carbs in liver, and a caution food in ZC because it has plants, albeit ones with negligible carbs. Sure is delicious, though!

(flyferretschef) #25

Maybe about a month or so ago, I made my own chicken liver pate, sticking pretty close to a ā€œJoy of Cookimgā€ recipe. (It had carbs, but when I cook with an unknown technique for the first time, I try to stick pretty close to the recipe.)

Anyhoo, it turned out fantastically good!! Iā€™m planning to make it again soon, cutting down/out the carby ingredients, and also trying it with pork or calf liver instead of chicken.

(Charndra Pile) #27

@cindychalker, I know, right? Iā€™m in Adelaide, I am stunned at the specials they get in the US!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #28

Looking forward to your updates @CarlaToo
The last time I tried liver pate was with deer liver about 20 years ago. It stunk up the house and tasted horrid, the cats and dogs wouldnā€™t even touch it!

(flyferretschef) #29

I think Iā€™m not entirely surprised about the deer liver. If it had a diet of mostly acorns and other wild forage, Iā€™d imagine the liver had quite a strong / gamey taste and smell.

Makes me wonder what goat liver would be like? In terms of preferred forage-eating patterns, goats are more like deer than they are like sheep. But in commercial production, I wonder how much browsing they actually get to do?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #30

I had lamb liver for the first time this week. I thought it was really good, but Iā€™m not that fussy about liver.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #31

Iā€™m trying, still having to hide it in meatloaf and similiar food. Iā€™m having a tough time getting past the memories of my Momā€™s weekly meal of liver leather and onions.

(Annette) #32

Pre-keto, I was a fan of calfā€™s liver. It was dredged in flour before cooking. Now how would I cook it? Just sautĆ© in butter?

(Retta Stephenson) #33

Iā€™m following this with keen interest. Can you point me to some links where I can read about the science behind why we donā€™t really NEED vegetables/fruit in order to get all the micronutrients most health professionals hound me about?? Or did the 2KetoDudes do a podcast I missed?
Thank you.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #34

The point is there never was proof in the first place that they are needed. It doesnā€™t exist, and I posit that it canā€™t be shown, because itā€™s not true.

As to micronutrients, meat is far more nutrient dense than plants, the nutrients are more bioavailable, in some cases by an astounding degree, and unlike plants, meat doesnā€™t come with anti-nutrients.

I do have posts on the topic, for example:

Are vegetables good for you?
Meat is best for growing brains (This one is ā€œaboutā€ something else, but has a lot of relevant information.)

I would also recommend the website of Dr. Georgia Ede, for example this post:
http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/vegetables/

It is fact that of the post-modern peoples who survived after our best food source, the mega-fauna, went extinct, several societies thrived on only meat, including Inuit, Maasai, Mongolians, and various tribes of Plains Indians. Vegetables are not necessary for health.

2/28/2017: Brenda & Donna's 30-Day Steak Challenge
(Retta Stephenson) #35

Thank you, Amber. Iā€™ll definitely check these out.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #36

Yes, sautĆ©ing in butter would work, you could try substituting a keto friendly flour (e.g., coconut, almond), success will depend on what the flour brought to the flavor before. Iā€™ve not tried this recipe, Iā€™m working my way back to liver this month by including it in my meatloaf.

(Annette) #37

That recipe sounds so very delicious, Becky. Definitely not Zero Carb (which I have committed to for January), so I will save the mushroom and onion portion ifor later. Will definitely try the bacon and liver part. Thank you!

Annette

(Retta Stephenson) #38

Thanks to your comment, I braved the cold and light snow to visit Costco. Score! Australian Lamb shanks, $4.99/pound. Now to figure out how to cook it. I canā€™t ever remember eating lamb before. :grin:

(Sondra Rose) #39

Canā€™t help you there! My husband roasts it in the oven. Thatā€™s all I knowā€¦heā€™s the chef in the family.

(Rebecca) #40

I think most people cook lamb shanks in a slow cooker. Itā€™s the only way Iā€™ve ever had them.

(Larry Lustig) #41

The Australian lamb I see at Costco for that price is leg of lamb, not the shank. I sear and roast, I like it rare