Eating fat on the run

(Alec) #1

Does anyone have good suggestions of what to eat if I wanted to eat some fat on the run? I am thinking macadamias to start with, but any other suggestions? Anything worked well for you?
Cheers
A

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

You could try Justin’s but butter packets.

(Alec) #3

Alas, I live in Aussie, and I don’t know what they are! :grinning: are they butter sticks in a run proof pack?
Cheers
A

(TJ Borden) #4

:joy::joy:

I’m pretty sure @Anniegirl9 meant NUT butter packs.

It’s a brand of different nut butter in squeeze packs, like oversized ketchup packets.

(Felicity ) #5

I’m Australian, I keep porky bits in my bag :wink:

(Felicity ) #6

:joy::rofl::joy: but butter

(Allan L) #7

Pecans are my fav nut.

Or a small spoon of coconut oil. Often have this to give me that little extra energy boost. Will have a jar in my glove box.

(Diane) #8

Olives. Small jars or the “Just a Handful of Olives” at Trader Joe’s.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

Yes, nut butter. And my autocorrect just tried to change it again to but.

It’s just almond butter in a small, single serve pack. Some are flavored though, and I’m not sure how much added sugar or sweetners that has. I have read that some longer distance runners will take one at like the 18 mile mark to get them some more energy. As it’s a nut butter, it will have a little extra carbs, but you will burn through it quickly and it shouldn’t hurt too much.

(Alec) #10

The concept of butt butter is making my head spin :rofl::rofl:

(Tim W) #11

Just run off of your fat stores!

It helps to be fat adapted first BUT, if you are not, you’ll adjust on the run, though it may be tough.

I’m 5’11, 170 pounds, around 15-18% body fat, (most put me in the thin category) and I pace 5 hour marathon groups, I don’t consume anything but water during those 5 hours, no issues.

Give it a try!

(Karl) #12

A lot of convenience stores will have a 2 or 3-pack of plastic-wrapped boiled eggs. If I’m near a supermarket with a self-checkout, I’ll grab an 8oz block of cheese. Or, if they have a “grab-n-go” cooler at their deli, a half-pound of sliced Salami.

Or sometimes I’ll just say screw it, and get all three :slight_smile:

(Alec) #13

Tim
I am intrigued, there are topics on these boards that say the max cals you can get each day from bodyfat is 31 cals per lb of bodyfat per day. I haven’t done the sums, but do you think that is right for you?
Cheers
Alec

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

There’s a thread on here somewhere where marathon runners were talking about it saying they don’t fuel at all before a race. I also read somewhere else where a few marathoners and even an ultra was saying they don’t fuel or only bring very small things like a small baggies of nuts.
I can’t even imagine that, but I’m only 6 weeks into this journey. I just finally got back up to my 4 mile training runs I was at before starting Keto.

Now onto build up to a half marathon later this summer. I’m hoping to try my very first marathon by late fall.

I’ve done a fasted half marathon, and a full marathon eating just a few bits of cheese, salami and dark chocolate (the aid stations at French races are awesome!).

Longest race I’ve done was a 50km and on that I took 100g of parmesan cheese cut into cubes, and x2 sachets of Pruvit KetoOS exogenous ketones.

It’s not complicated though, you need to be well fat adapted, well used to training at aerobic threshold (MAF training), then you just try to control your heart rate in the race and keep it down to a level that you can metabolise fat at. I’m a back of the pack runner but some of the elites are doing ultras on keto diets and are very successful. Google “Zach Bitter” for one.

(Tim W) #16

Alec,

There are a lot of constraints using the numbers you reference. For example, the studies that produced those numbers (if memory serves) were from folks not following a ketogenic diet prior to being measured/studied. I would expect that those of us who are hard-core fat adapted might be able to better utilize our fat stores, increasing how much energy you can pull daily (can you run a couple of hours without any intake and not bonk? If you can, you are fat adapted! Or, can you fast for several days without issue, same thing, fat adapted!).

At the extreme end of things, I once fasted 5 days and then ran 12 miles on the morning of the 6th day, consuming nothing. I ate later that day. I can’t tell you I did not damage muscle/tissues/organs by doing that, but I know it can be done (and it makes sense, gronc would have been able to do the same, not eat for weeks, then go chase down food, it serves the survival imperative). My time was VERY slow for that run, almost 2.5 hours, and the first six miles were brutal but eventually the endorphins and adrenaline kicked in and the last six miles felt great.

Bottom line, everyone’s individual results will surely vary. I believe that running extreme distances fasted/with very little intake is growing in popularity and we each have to see what we are made of, we are probably capable of more than we think (or at least what gatorade and other supplement companies want us to think!).

Best of luck to you in your journey.

(Alec) #17

Tim
You make some great points.

I am really fascinated by this supposed cals from fat “limit” as it seems to just negate the idea that you can run all day just on bodyfat. When you do the sums for a person like me who’s got around 50lbs of bodyfat, I’d be able to to go around 2-3 hrs, but then not be able to burn fat. It feels not quite right.

(Tim W) #18

I think intensity of effort probably matters. Trying to produce explosive moves over a long period of time (maybe a hard core crossfit workout etc) might cause a bonk if the body can’t keep up (breaking up fat and creating ketones from it).

When talking lower effort, lower HR, longer state exercise, often steady state, I don’t think the calculation is as applicable.

(GINA ) #19

I tried a Justin’s nut butter packet on a run once. No bueno for me. I must have looked like one of those dogs that turns up on YouTube after being given peanut butter. Numnumnum. Worse yet, it was a trail run and I couldn’t concentrate on my footing AND getting the glop out of my mouth. I just had to stop, wash all the almond butter down with water, then keep going.

Macademias sound good. Small and salty.

(Julie ) #20

Did a half marathon about a month ago with out any nutrition and only drank some of my propel. I am a competitive walker so it took over 3 hours, but did not feel bad at all and only had a protein atkin bar before the race then had a nice late breakfast after the race.

Did bring some nuts for just encase though.