Easy Peasy Homemade Ghee

gourmet
ghee

(Polly Bennett) #1

6 sticks unsalted Kerrygold butter (or butter of your choice…unsalted)
Crockpot

Put 6 sticks of unsalted butter in your crockpot, set to 4 hours on low. At the end, strain it through cheesecloth or coffee filters into a sealable jar. It keeps in a cupboard without refrigeration for…??? I’ve always run out before I’ve found out how long it keeps. LOL! Yummmmm!

The photo is my homemade ghee on the right, a small jar from Trader Joe’s on the left. Mine is MUCH more cost effective and every bit as smooth and delicious!

Too much dairy, what other fats?
A ghee question
(Guardian of the bacon) #2

What do you like about the ghee over the standard kerrygold?

(Polly Bennett) #3

I love the flavor of ghee and the fact that it doesn’t smoke if I cook with it. It is also shelf-stable, so requires no refrigeration. If you haven’t tried it, buy a small jar and see what you think. I think it is yummmmmmmmy!!!

For me…taste and higher smoke point.

(Dustin Cade) #5

Walmart has a coconut oil ghee mix, i think though i will try and make my own… thanks so much for this!

(Polly Bennett) #6

My pleasure! It is so easy is just silly. :slight_smile:

(Derek I. Batting) #7

How in the world is this thread not called “Easy Peasy Homemade Ghee-sy?:joy:

“HA! I kill me!” -ALF

Carry on.

(Laura) #8

By itself, I don’t like the taste of Ghee, but as soon as it’s in my coffee or on something I am eating, it tastes delicious.

This last week I started making my own ghee. I have done it twice and both batches turned out great. The first I made with Challenge brand butter, the second with kerrygold. I can’t tell the difference. That’s probably just me, but I can tell the difference between the butters themselves.

I didn’t want to mess with cheese cloth so I bought unbleached coffee filters. The secret to using them is to keep the ghee warm and poor a bit at a time. Goes fast that way, because as soon as it starts cooling down it can’t pass through the filter except a drop at a time.

(Adam L) #9

Thanks for sharing, what an easy method. A few questions;
What are you left with in terms of the stuff that doesn’t strain through the cheesecloth (milk solids?) is it a lot?
What can you you do with the leftover stuff?
Any idea about how much ghee you get out of a certain amount of butter by weight? Just curious until I try it myself.

(Polly Bennett) #10

Hi Adam!

The milk solids turn brown and mostly sink to the bottom and you are left with beautiful, golden ghee. I would say since 8 sticks of butter equals 2 cups, you are left with about 1.75 cups given the milk solids and moisture that dissipate. I just toss the browned solids, so I don’t know what you can do with it.

The first time I made it (the time that I posted the photo) I used 6 sticks of salted, regular butter because that’s all I had on hand. Since then I’ve made it twice for a friend and once more for myself using 8 sticks of unsalted, organic butter. Same process. It’s lovely, delicious, and easy to do.

When I make clarified butter, I take the layer of water and milk solids at the bottom, combine with a bit of vinegar and blitz them in a blender. Makes a white dressing that has a sour cream ranch dressing taste.

(Polly Bennett) #12

Oh, that sounds delicious! I will try that next time. Thank you for sharing that!

(Adam L) #13

Thanks Polly, that sounds good I’ll be sure to give it a go & try @Fiorella method for dealing with the leftover milk solids. Ghee isn’t cheap so making your own is a great idea, I’ve only ever bought it once & it was expensive so I felt like a sucker. For me making my own stuff helps me feel somewhat empowered & if it’s easy all the butter, I mean better :slightly_smiling_face:

(Kathy L) #14

DITTO!

(Laura) #15

Okay, I misstated something, my second batch was with the challenge butter, yesterday I made it with Kerrygold and the color was so rich and even more delicious.

People if you can get it, use Kerrygold for your homemade GHEE…

(Laura) #16

I found a alternative to cheese cloth or paper coffee filters. Those semipermanent coffee filters have a really fine mesh that does a good job of straining the ghee from the other stuff. I do set it in a regular mesh strainer cause it’s small and the mesh goes up the sides. Really easy cleanup.

Ps love making ghee in the crock pot. It is truly so easy.

(Jeff Logullo) #17

Leftovers: be sure to taste it. It’s wonderful :slight_smile: Toffee overdose flavor. Salty when using salted butter (of course); I’ll be making a batch with unsalted butter for the first time this week, and can’t wait to see what the solids taste like.

I make ghee a pound at a time. One pound of butter will just fit in a wide mouth pint Mason jar – perfect.

(roxanna) #18

Ooh sounds amazing.

Thank you, Polly. Will have to give this one a try. I can’t get Ghee where I live.

(roxanna) #20

I finally made ghee this weekend. I mostly followed this, except the last 10 to 20 mins I cooked it higher to caramelize it and OMG this stuff is amazing. It’s a sweet flavor that I can’t even describe. I will never go back to store bought!