Too much dairy, what other fats?

I have had a weight stall for the last couple weeks. I think it’s from too much dairy. I’d like to cut back on dairy but wondering what other fats I could use that aren’t diary. For example, I put sour cream on eggs, heavy whipping cream in tea, dip meat and veggies in cream cheese, or cheese sauce, or ranch. I’m thinking that’s a little too much. What other ideas for what to dip your meat and veggies in that are dairy free? Other fats that I can add to everything other than cooking with butter? Thanks!

(James storie) #2

Homemade mayonnaise is always a great option. You can customize the flavors by the spices you use. My basic recipe is:
2 C Avocado oil or light tasting olive oil
2 T white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp of dijon or spicy brown mustard
2 whole eggs

You can add or subtracted any spices you do or don’t like. Use an immersion blender for the best results. Making it in a food processor is a little more tricky!

(James storie) #3

And you can always pour melted butter over everything! There are many sauces you can make that are dairy free. Check out the recipe section.

(Jenn Monaghan) #4

I like to fry broccoli in bacon fat.

Good idea! I will take a look at the recipe section, Thanks!

(Adam L) #6

Buy ghee or turn your butter into ghee (easy & much cheaper) discard the milk solids, what you have is “oil of milk”. Easy Peasy Homemade Ghee

Cook meat in ghee, melt it on steamed veggies (can’t believe I ate steamed veg for years without added fat!)

This blogger/website is massive on eliminating dairy, he found that he wasn’t making progress on Low Carb HIgh Fat, eliminated all dairy except ghee & it all clicked from there. https://lihfliving.com/

Turn your ghee into hollandiase Ghee Hollandaise Sauce

This homemade Mayo is dairy free & a staple in our house, I always add 1 soup spoon of any kind of vinegar to the recipe http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/12/11/easy-mayonnaise-recipe/
Everyone who’s tried it loves it. Sometimes I double the quantity. You can put some in a bowl, add whatever flavour you want such as mustard, smoked paprika, curry powder and you have a dairy free dip/spread. I added roasted garlic once & my wife & parents thought it was the best thing ever and we were dipping pork rinds in it!!!

Search this forum for Baconnaise, not sure on the spelling.

Try coconut cream or milk in tea, coffee instead of cream or just go straight into bullet proof coffee/tea, lots of mentions of it on this forum. I have made it with just one added fat such as beef tallow, lard, turned out surprisingly good.

If you don’t mind having a little dairy swap out regular cheese for some really good, strong tasting Parmesan, it packs a punch & you don’t need heaps to get a flavour hit.

I save (refrigerate) the fat from roasted meats & baked or fried bacon, even the fat in the pan from making meatloaf. Fry eggs or anything in those fats, put some on meats & veg. Use a scraper to get all the fat from the pan and put it on your plate. There’s lots of options, hope this helps

Ever try “compound butter”? Just take butter at room temperature, and mix with your favorite chopped fresh herbs…like basil, or dill, or parsley…etc. Or even dry spices, like tex mex, cayenne or curry blend. Put compounded mixture in plastic wrap, and roll it like a fat cigar…store in freezer and cut “coins” or “mini hockey pucks” of compound butter to put on your hot food. So delicious!

(Adam L) #8

I’m gonna try compound ghee the next time I make it!

(Ernest) #9

Butter
Bacon fat
Real lard
Take a shot of olive oil,
Macadamia nuts,
Macadamia nut oil ( http://oilsofaloha.com/Garlic-Isles-Macadamia-Oil-Gallon-128-oz..html )
Eat whole avocados
coconut oil
Egg yolks
make your own mayo with different oils

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

I like veggies dipped in EVOlive Oil, that has herbs added to it, I used to dip bread in that dip, now it is broccoli, romaine lettuce, red peppers mainly.

I do a lot of the things Adam L. suggests above too when I want to cut back on dairy. It can cause stalls from time to time. Goat cheese is something I use instead of cow’s milk products. You can even find goat butter in some stores.

(Lori Calhoun) #11

FYI on the mayo… I have made it for years, and you can get away with only 1 egg if you want. the egg goes a long way with the oil.

(James storie) #12

Oh, I know, I just like eggs!