Easter 2017 Fast

Today is day 4 … doing well…Good morning all😁

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #82

@Kimorea I was wondering if you monitor your BG and BK. It may be interesting to see what effects fasting has on those. You can also tell whether or not you are in ketosis. (After a few days fasting you probably are but the numbers will say for sure.)

(Ben Davis) #83

I’ve got some unexpected good news this morning. So after breaking my fast yesterday with a full breakfast as documented in my last post, eating out at Applebee’s for lunch having an All-Day Brunch Burger with no bun, hash browns, or ketchup (includes cheese, bacon, and a round egg on top), broccoli with extra butter and sour cream, Diet Pepsi, skipping dinner because I was busy and forgot, and then some pork rinds with Philly cream cheese for an evening snack, I weighted myself this morning to find myself 1.8 lbs lighter than yesterday just before I ended my fast!

I was pretty sure I was going to be up this morning as everyone documents after ending a fast, but I’m down a huge amount after refeeding. I forgot to measure my glucose and ketones before I left for work, but I do feel fantastic this morning. Seeing the scale elevated my mood even more. I’m on the same path as @Pinnacle , at about the same starting weight and nearly to the same ending weight. I weighed 150 at the end of high school and, today, I’m down to 170, a weight I haven’t been since college in about 20 years. Everything about Keto and LCHF is awesome. Thanks everyone for helping build this community and keep at it so we can, as Bill Nye says, CHANGE THE WORLD!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #84

My fast will begin early afternoon today. I will stick to my leg day workout in the morning but won’t be eating afterwards. I may pick up some MCT oil powder to have on hand. But my workout won’t be the intense one that I do roughly once a month, so I really should be fine.

(Mary 🌹 ) #85

Day 5>>>>Lots of Energy …amazingly! My #'s don’t matter…I will weigh when I am finished fasting! I trust my body! My Kidneys, and liver are getting this wonderful break and I feel Great! Everyday…it gets better. I will break my fast when I feel truly hungry… not a craving for a certain food! I hope everyone feels as GREAT as I do fasting this time! I am THANKFUL to have a day off! I may walk around a nearby lake and listen to the birds! I am doing my Easter Service tonight at 7pm! Now at 5:32pm Friday>I feel more energized than I did at rising!..I am HAPPY with these results. I can mentally work through my problems easier and see solutions faster!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #86

@Bendy22 Very nice!

My current goal weight is 175 (hope to go lower, but I tend to set interim goals, so as to keep them achievable in the short-to-medium term). I’m about 5.5 lbs away from that as of this morning, and another 1.5 lbs down during my current fast, for a total of 6 lbs since I started on Sunday.

My n=1 experience suggests strongly that supplementing my fast with fat does not impede weight loss. Impossible to tell directly whether it’s having a negative effect on autophagy, but given that it’s insulin that tends to prevent autophagy, and insulin would also tend to prevent fat burning, it’s pretty likely that I wouldn’t be losing this much weight if insulin had not been driven to low levels.

I scheduled a draw for some blood tests this afternoon. Won’t be fully-fasted, in that I’ve had some butter/mascarpone in my coffee this morning, but should give me a reading on how my insulin/cortisol, etc are during an extended fast. In addition to the usual stuff I get tested (CBC, lipid panel, HBA1c, hormones), I added a Vit D and C-reactive protein test. First time I’m getting the CRP test, so I’ll be interested to see where I stand on that.

KCFO (keep calm and fast on)!

(Jeff Davis) #87

Good Friday, Day 3 of 3. Had some salt water last night when feeling a little light headed. I went to the gym and did a pretty intense workout this morning and felt great. Water, coffee, and salt. My weight hasn’t moved much, but I have to keep reminding myself that that’s not the primary goal, and I’m within about 7 lbs of my goal weight anyway (after losing close to 40 lbs since October). Focus is great, and today I focus on the wood of the cross, upon which hung the salvation of the world.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #88

Amen!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #89

Wow, that is great that you are feeling so wonderful, I am very happy for you!

Don’t be surprised if you find that you will not get ‘truly hungry’ during this fast. Yes, there is nearly a sense of euphoria during an extended fast and once getting past 4 or 5 days the decision to stop, depending on your current body fat, is your schedule and not your hunger signals.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #90

I will second your N=1 experience!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #91

So this is interesting…today is the first day I’ve been really chilled. Haven’t done anything particularly different. Did my usual butter/mascarpone and a small amount of HWC in my morning coffee, but I’ve been FREEZING, despite having on a t-shirt, long-sleeve button down, and a hoodie.

Having some additional salt water now to see if that settles things down. If not, I may consider ending my fast this evening, after I’ve had my blood draw done.

Seems to be getting a little better, but surprising, given the fat supplementation.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #92

Again: salt, salt, salt! use small doses in water, coffee, or tea about 1/4 tsp each in 10-16 oz (300-500 ml). Try to get your total over 2 tsps, I usually shoot for 2.5-3 tsps (5000-6000 mg sodium). Some of the fats you took also have salt but they are very minimal levels.

EDIT: I love to use 3/4 tsp in about 12 oz of broth as I like my broth a bit salty, I could use 1 tsp with no issues!

My HWC has 20 mg in a quarter cup (4 tbls)!

I had some days that I was still a bit chilled but not freezing, so you have it right: if you can’t correct it then end the fast. There are many more opportunities in the future to fast!

(Mary 🌹 ) #93

I think your right! What do you suggest then…I am game to keep going. …I really feel like my energy is at least twice what it is when I was a glucose burner…I wish I had known this! Wow! Its wonderful to have this much energy!

(Mary 🌹 ) #94

Yes…HE DIED SO WE CAN EXPERIENCE LIFE!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #95

Do whatever feels right to you! If you feel good then keep going as long as you want.

Most of the issues I had were mental with the occasional thoughts of “Let’s grab a snack!” whipping around in my head. Those thoughts really didn’t last long and were just annoying. About the 3-week mark I started getting bored with not eating: it is like walking on a great lawn or walking through a flower garden. On the lawn every thing is beautiful and the grass in green but after a bit you have a yearning for a little bit more, some extra color. That is what the boredom is like.

I had a deadline in mind, I was fasting from Ash Wednesday until Easter Day so I continued on. For you, you can stop the fast whenever you want, feast for a few days, and then go and fast again. Take look at the <a href=https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/fast-feast-cycling/10098?u=ron-coleman>Fast/Feast Cycling thread on the forums.

(Mary 🌹 ) #96

Thanks Ron! Enjoy your Easter and the Nice dinner!

I’m just about at hour 122 of my fast without food.

Great news: I just weighed in for my “state” armwrestling championships and easily made the weight - easier than ever. I even went 2 pounds under so I could get some salt (water) into me to start the refeed before the official weighin time.

I hit 152 pounds, which has not been seen since I was 17 years old. I am 49. I just lost 43 pounds in 45 days (yes 13 or so are just water weight), and I am regretting not having had a drink and a snack to have artificially increased my pre-reduction mass. 45 pounds in 45 days would sound WAY cooler, oh well :frowning:

Now the dilemma. I feel AWESOME. I usually feel and look and especially sound like death at this point, but not this time! I kind of want to continue my fast and see how I do in the tournament. I could just drink water and take electrolytes. No one will believe that I have not eaten since Sunday.

However, you can see that I have a plan to refeed. My plan is in the foreground and not in the background. I would start with the electrolyte-laden homemade soup in the thermos and nibble on some nuts and cheese while I cook bacon and eggs. Hopefully bacon smoke is ok in my non-smoking room and I do not set off an alarm!

Honestly, I do not care to eat, but I will get busy drinking when this post is typed. I’m leaning toward breaking the fast and feasting Good Friday to Easter Sunday then fasting Monday to Wednesday then feasting Thursday to Sunday just to see what will happen.

LOVING this!

… 123 hours into the food fast and about to eat, although there really seems to be no need other than salt water is horrible and I want my soup, bacon and eggs as sodium delivery systems so that I am full rehydrated for competition to morrow.

(Jacquie) #98

Great photo! What caught my attention is that you still have snow. Looks like Canada to me. I’m in NS. How can that be? :wink:

I had to drive a few hours north for the tournament, and the snowstorm made it a little more interesting. The Nationals are in Nova Scotia July 1 - it better not snow if I go!

(Jacquie) #100

:smile:It will be gorgeous anywhere in NS that time of year. If you’re coming here for a sports event, you may not be open to ‘flexible’ eating. If you are, and fresh lobster and Digby scallops are available, you’ll have a real treat. Amazing!

Good luck at the championships! Being keto fueled, I’m sure you’ll do well!