Easter 2017 Fast

(Ben Davis) #41

Ron - you encouraged me to try this for this week! I started my very first fast at 7PM on Monday and am going strong. My ketones have been between 3 and 3.5 for the last week or two (been keto for 6+ months) before the fast and was the same last night when I checked. I had glucose of 70 before and last night was 58. I have this little “high” going on since about 8 hours in that is finally wearing off and I feel almost normal now. I’ve been fearing Day 2 as everyone speaks of, but so far, I’m not hungry, weak, or otherwise feeling bad! I did some Campbell’s beef broth yesterday (half can for “lunch”, half for “dinner”), but since then, nothing else but water. I’ve had a couple of breath mints to keep the acetone smell down - hopefully that doesn’t hurt anything?

I plan to break the fast during our family Easter feast this Sunday as well, as long as I continue to feel ok.

Now I’m not familiar with all these kinds of salts everyone is talking about. We just have the normal Morton salt at home. Is this ok to use or is there something wrong with this kind of salt? I should probably take some with my water during the fast, but I’ve just not been sure if this salt is not appropriate for fasting purposes.

Great job everyone and keep it up!

60 hours in and I have had 2 liters of salted water and a couple cups of black coffee today. It seems like all I’ve done is pee. I’ve also had a headache threatening, any suggestions? I’ve kept to a protocol of water, tea, black coffee, and artificially sweetened (mio) salted water.

The headache and urination are both symptoms of inadequate electrolytes, especially sodium.

Thanks @pinnacle. I’ll up the sodium. I have some bouillon cubes. A whole cube is 30 calories, 2g fat, 2200mg sodium. The serving size is listed as 1/2 cube and less than 1g carbs. I really don’t plan on cutting the thing in half but if I need to I can. A whole cube would be less than 2 g carbs.

The salt I’ve been putting in my water has 290 mg sodium, 350 mg potassium per 1/4 tsp which is how much I use in a litre of water. I’ve had two today.

The bouillon would significantly up my sodium.

(Jennifer) #45

Most folks add 3-6GRAMS of salt while fasting. You have only had .6 of a gram. Might want to increase that a bit.

I take my Himalayan salt 1/8 tsp at a time as is and wash it down with a bit of water. I do this every couple hours. That way I don’t have to drink a gallon of water to get it all in. I try to get 3-4gms in a day.

(Ashley Haddock) #46

@ron-coleman you are a rockstar!

I am doing my first planned extended fast starting today. (Well, technically it started last night. LOL) I am hoping I can make it until Friday night. If I feel good then I may go until Saturday.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #47

@Bendy22: Morton salt has sodium but many other necessary minerals like potassium and magnesium which are needed during a fast. The other types of salt are readily available in most grocery stores, even Walmart, so just look for a bit in the spice aisle and you can find Redmond’s Real Salt or Himalayan Pink Sea Salt or Celtic Sea Salt.

Look at the nutrition labels of any of these sea salts and compare them to the plain Morton’s brand and you will see the difference.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #48

I will be praying for you! Be sure to take your time and listen to your body.

Yes, you started last night so today is day 1 of fasting: the first day.

(Ashley Haddock) #49

Thank you, I appreciate that! I am definitely going to try to tune into what my body says.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #50

Curious what your thoughts are on iodine. Do you use salt that’s iodized, or do you take a separate iodine supplement? Both of the salts I’m using lately (coarse kosher salt, and sea salt) are not iodized, so I’m wondering whether I should add iodine to my list.

(Jennifer) #51

I am the same - don’t do table salt. I take a sea kelp pill a few times a week to help with iodine. I like that it is a natural form of iodine.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #52

I’ve heard back and forth from doctors on the necessity of iodine. Yes, we need it but not a whole lot. The Real Salt does contain iodine naturally, I couldn’t find information on the Himalayan Sea Salt about iodine.

A quote from >a href=https://authoritynutrition.com/different-types-of-salt/>AuthorityNutrition.com says: “Therefore, if you choose not to eat regular iodine-enriched table salt, then make sure you’re eating some other foods that are high in iodine, like fish, dairy, eggs and seaweed.”

Since I eat some of those other things to get the iodine I need I am not worried.

I met with my doctor today to review bloodwork results and told him about my fast. He is in favor of intermittent fasting but doesn’t like extended fasts. He said all evidence points to putting extra stress on your body and increasing sugar levels. I asked if I could drop off a list of studies for him to review and he said sure and that he is open minded about it. So now I have a project.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #54

If you have the ability to get post-fast bloodwork, that might also help to convince him that the best evidence is the success of his patients. :slight_smile:

(Ben Davis) #55

Looked for Real Salt at Walmart and Payless/Kroger locally - no dice. They had the Himalayan stuff, but it only showed potassium and not magnesium on the label.

I’m at the 48 hour mark and ketones are 6.2 and blood sugar is 55. How low for a non-diabetic person to low enough to worry for the blood sugar?

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #56

Being that you ketones are at 6.2 you are burning fat for fuel. Listen to your body, if you start to feel weird or light-headed then eat.

As far as the blood sugar goes, they did studies where they took fat adapted persons and gave them insulin injections to get their glucose down into the teens and single digits with no significant events. Again, these people were burning fat just like you.

I hit 59 mg/dl a couple of weeks ago and then it went back up and leveled off in the low 70’s. It all takes time to work things out.

(Jeff Davis) #57

Feeling great at the beginning of Day 2 of my 3-day Holy Week fast. I went to the gym this morning and had a good run on the treadmill with plenty of energy.

Tonight is the Mass of the Lord’s Supper, where the focus will be on Him who is the Bread of Life. No worries about earthly bread (or other earthly food)! Fasting gives me the freedom to focus on the truly important things.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #58

Be careful as you may want to extend it to a 4-day fast ending on Holy Saturday! :wink:

I also love the seemingly never-ending energy you get from fasting, sort of like the energizer bunny “keeps on going!”

GM guys day 3 and going good. Only 11 days left…Wish me lunk…Have a great day :grin::grin::joy::yum::yum:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #60

@Kimorea: Great job getting through the first days! Any issues?

Do you have any numbers to post?