Easter 2017 Fast

Hi guys! So, day one a day going great. I am only drinking half my body weigh in water right now. I plan to increase my water intake in the next few days… felt a little hungry so I had plain green tea. Still going strong… will post again tomorrow for day 2… See .I am already crossing off days :grin::blush:

May you advise me how I can follow this thread ( I always have to search for it😁) thanks

Lol found it soon as I asked …Thanks anyway :grin:

I got through it okay yesterday. Today it’s more about habit than actual hunger.

Question: do you add salt to ALL the water you drink throughout the day? Or just meet a target amount and anything you drink after that is unsalted?

I target 6g of sodium. That means that I am salting all the water on my fast. I am already not enjoying the taste of salt though - I need some caplets to swallow!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #26

I do a mix as I salt water and I use the electrolyte supplements pack. A 1/4 tsp of Real Salt is 530mg of sodium where 1/4 tsp of Himalayan Pink Salt is about 480mg sodium so I try to go between them to average 500 mg per cup. I do salt water, coffee, and my broth (3/4 tsp as I like it salty) and then I do enjoy unsalted water and coffee sometimes as well.

I find that using the 1/4 tsp measure makes the water (16 oz) taste smooth and not real salty so I may seem weird at first but you get used to it. The salt in my 10 oz coffee tastes just a bit salty.

I also like to drink San Pellegrino sparkling water as it really cleans out the mouth for a refreshing feeling. That is typically the only cold drink I have.

I usually try for 4 to 5 g of sodium a day which is 2 to 2.5 tsp of salt.

A really extended fast: going for 46-days!
(G. Andrew Duthie) #27

Close to 48 hours in. Both yesterday and today I’ve been supplementing fat, in the form of butter, a bit of mascarpone and/or MCT oil, and a small amount (< 2 Tbsp) of HWC in my morning coffee, and some additional butter and/or MCT oil later in the day. Targeting between 400-600 kCal of additional fat per day.

Interesting findings so far:

1. In the past, day 2 has been the hardest. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m supplementing fat, or maybe I’m just sufficiently busy with work, but today hasn’t been bad at all.
  2. Weighed myself this morning and between Monday morning and today, I’m down 2.5-3 lbs (my scale varies, and it’s digital and only gets to 1/2 lb increments). Could be a good bit of that is water, but it’s still a nice start.

@Pinnacle, @Allison - when I do salt water, I often add a splash of sugar-free caramel coffee syrup. Makes all the difference for me, and I do not seem to have issues with the sweeteners used, so it’s a good option for me. I also sometimes add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and end up with a drink that’s a bit like a salted caramel apple. :slight_smile:

Speaking of which, should probably go make some more salt water…probably not getting enough, as I’ve come close to leg cramps overnight again, which is usually a sign that I need more salt.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #28

@devhammer: Good fast! I know when I started mine I had virtually no issues on any of the early days other than the normal watery stools!

You may want to supplement some magnesium and potassium for your cramps. Potassium if you cramp during exercise and magnesium for the night-time cramps!

I got that from Megan Ramos on Jimmy Moore’s Fasting Talk podcast!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #29

I supplement both, but I may need more magnesium when fasting. Didn’t realize that potassium was indicated for exercise-related cramps. That’s rarely if ever a problem for me, so good to know. I do know that when I get enough salt (sodium specifically) I usually don’t have issues with cramps. But could be that they all factor in to some extent.

@devhammer Thanks for the tips! This afternoon I filled my litre water bottle and added lite salt (for sodium and potassium) and mio for flavoring. It was like a sugar free gatorade.

Last night I took a bath with Epsom salts for magnesium.

I’m glad that I am doing this. I knew that I would be tired this morning, so I set my alarm for a half hour later than normal last night. I woke feeling tired anyway. I went for my run, and I felt tired and as if my legs were heavy. Despite that, for 12km I maintained a steady pace that was very close to my normal keto-pace (still much slower than my carbaholic pace). I actually felt great in the middle of the run and afterward. I’m at hour 47 and I’ve not been hungry, but I do want to leave work and go home and make food - for everyone else, I guess.

(Jennifer) #32

Had to use up some ground beef and lamb so I made some Greek meatballs for the family. It’s amazing to me that I can cook and smell the smells and still not need to eat.

I did put a fat hamburger pattie of the mix in the freezer for this weekend. I will still get to enjoy it, just later. Lol…

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #33

I like your planning ahead!

(Jeff Davis) #34

My 3 day Holy Week fast begins!

Well actually, it began about 9:30 last night. But I’m counting Wednesday (today) as Day One. Good luck to the other Holy Week fast participants!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #35

Salt regulates potassium and magnesium in our bodies so you need all 3 of them to get the full benefits.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #36

Day 3, and down another 1/2 lb.

Bumped the MCT oil up in my coffee from 1/2 Tbsp to a full Tbsp, and I think I’m gonna stick with 1/2 per serving for now. Thankfully, no lower GI issues, but not sitting on my stomach very well.

For anyone who’s not used MCT oil…a brief explanation. MCT oil is essentially a refined form of the fats found in coconut oil, medium chain triglycerides (MCT). It’s a very densely concentrated form of great fats, and at around 130 kCal per Tbsp can be an easy way to supplement fat. HOWEVER…many people find that consuming too much MCT oil can lead to what’s euphemistically called “disaster pants”. So if you have never used MCT oil, and want to give it a try, start small…no more than 1/2 Tbsp to start, and try that for a few days and see how you do. As your body gets used to it, you can usually bump up the amount, but I’d recommend sticking close to home when you’re experimenting.

Coconut oil is another alternative, and can be better tolerated for some. Or just butter. That’s assuming, of course, that you need to supplement fat.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #37

Andrew, I like to use heavy cream as it mixes better than the fats. I actually use 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) which yields about 200 calories. This happens to be the same amount that Starbucks puts in their venti size coffee so whether I make it my self or buy it my calories will be consistent.

I also have an aerator to mix the oils (MCT, coconut, or butter) as I usually don’t like them just sitting on the top of the cup. I picked mine up for about $10 and it is battery operated. The only issue is I don’t like to use it in the cup itself as it tends to spill over so I preheat a measuring cup, brew the coffee there and mix. Then I add it to my preheated coffee cup. Yes, I am picky and like my coffee hot! I use hot tap water to preheat the cups.

I also request steamed heavy cream from Starbuck’s as it keeps the coffee hotter as well. At home I microwave the cream for about 20 seconds which does not cause it to separate.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #38

I love heavy cream, but I want to avoid the (admittedly small amount of) carbs it contains. At around 0.4g per Tbsp, it still isn’t much, but it’s > 0. Part of my goal in fasting is to encourage autophagy, so minimizing even small sources of carbs and/or protein is a focus. If I were going more than a week, I’d probably be a little less concerned about it.

My process is pretty similar to yours, actually. I make my coffee in the morning by filling a 4-cup pyrex measuring cup to the brim, and microwaving for 10 minutes, and doing a pour-over using a Chemex coffee maker. Once I’ve poured the last of the water, I drop a slice of Kerrygold butter into the still-hot measuring cup, and add any other fats I want (for example, Mascarpone cheese or HWC), along with any sweetener or SF coffee syrup, and then blend up with a stick blender.

I’ll have to remember the idea of getting steamed HWC at SBUX. Though their coffee is usually hot enough that the cold cream is just enough to make it drinkable without scalding. :wink:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #39

For me I used Torani Sugar Free Classic Caramel syrup (contains sucralose) this morning, along with heavy cream, and did an n=1 of my glucose with these results:
T 0 - 76
T +30 = 88
T +60 = 83
T +90 = 81
T +120 = 72
This shows me that my glucose was raised enough that my body released more insulin to bring the glucose as my T+120 level was less than my T0 level.

I am not positive if that was from the heavy cream of the syrup and I will do another n=1 tomorrow morning first thing to test my response for the cream only.

On the SBUX steamed cream, I am disappointed with the app for ordering in advance as it used to allow for ‘steamed’ but no longer does. Fortunately, the barisstas at most of my local SBUX know me and do steam the cream for me. The app is very convenient as I show up, grab my coffee, leave a tip, and depart! No lines!!

(Sascha Heid) #40

I’m on day 3, so far so good.
My ketonix showed green lights, which is unusually low for me even when i eat, so i checked with the blood and indeed only got 0,3mmol. I’m glad the ketonix was verified since i don’t plan to buy blood-strips anymore.
I can not complain about anything. I feel fine and my appetite is superficial. I also do not have cancer like other people i know. I don’t think she’ll make it. For the 3rd time she was told “now it will be fine” but it came back every time. They even claimed the second cancer would be totally unrelated to the first! WTF? I don’t know how to not hate those buttholes who call themselves doctors, it’s their job to know better and they fail horribly. They are not even interested and just believe what they are told. Screw them, i hope they all die, preferably from butthole-cancer with a lot of blood.
Today i broke my deadlift PR, it just happenend, i felt lighter then usual.
I still might brake the fast at any time, we will see.