Dry fasting for Yom Kippur- wish me luck!

You could try just a 24-hour dry fast next time you do a normal fast (can you time the pill to go with your food?).
I’ve been meaning to do a week of those (on OMAD), actually, so if you want to try it let me know and we can buddy up :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #22

I could take the tablet with a meal then do a 24 hour dry fast, yes =). I normally take it in the morning but I am sure taking it at a different time once a week is fine as well. What is your normal dry fast day?

Monday!

(Susan) #24

So if I do from Sunday night at 5pm until Monday night at 5pm? Or Monday night at 5pm until Tuesday night at 5pm? Either one would work out fine for me to join you. If you tell me which then I will do that coming up =).

Let’s do this one together! I’ll be working late this coming Monday but I’ll check in when I have a break.
I decided I wanted to make this a regular fast so early on I was more interested in keeping it as an long-term experiment and habit than in making any one fast perfect. I would encourage you to break it a bit earlier if you’re not feeling great. That’s generally a good guideline with fasting but also then we can try it again the following week
and you can start to see patterns or trends.

But you might find it really easy! I’ll try daily dry OMAD the rest of this week and see if I get any other useful insights for you by Monday.

(April Harkness) #26

I DID IT!! I DID IT! I DID IT!!! CLick below to watch me talk about the morning of the fast and watch to see me throw up weights the day AFTER the fast! If you don’t want to hear me talk too much… go ahead and fastforward to 6:11 to see how a American Filipino Christian prepares israeli shakshuka!

Succeeded with a Yom Kippur Dry Fast

Cool! thanks for reporting back.

At first I thought it was my imagination but now it’s happened for several weeks: I’m more mobile since I’ve been dry fasting one day/week. My hamstrings in particular are just more pliable, and I can not only go deeper in my stretches but they feel different - not a wall of resistance at my edges anymore. It’s pretty cool.

(April Harkness) #28

I will be throwing in a dry fast now. I am thinking I might do it once a week.

Please keep reporting back! I’m really curious about this and have a thread on it (Dry Fasting - another look). My HRV jumps when I’m dry fasting, and it stays elevated for the next several days - which is amazing - but my sleep is kind of lousy. I’m trying the 36-hour dry fast for another few weeks (or months) to see if I can figure out the sleep angle, and if I can’t I’ll just keep it to 24 hours.
In any case, dry fasting is a nice tool. It seems to be very popular in cancer treatment, and I can imagine that the autophagy would be increased.

For those who are interested in weight loss, here’s the theory: our fat cells have a certain amount of water in them and the body will tap into that when it doesn’t get water from the outside. I assumed this was ridiculous when I first heard it and it was pulled apart fairly convincingly from some folks on the forum a while ago. But in fact when you render beef fat generally what you see is that you lose a decent amount of the volume to evaporation, so the chunks of beef fat are in fact fat + water (+ of course bits of protein). I imagine it would be the same for us, and it explains why some folks drop weight faster than would be possible if you use even a very rough caloric calculation.

(Bob M) #30

If you like scientific books with lots of graphs, read this:

He goes into salt, drinking water, etc., in detail.

(Jane) #31

Awesome, April!

I would love to try a dry fast… but I would have to wean myself off coffee first to prevent the horrendous caffeine withdrawal headaches… ugh. I would need some extra motivation like a serious health issue before I could be that committed. :expressionless:

Thank you, Bob!

I can imagine just from an electrolyte perspective that over drinking water would be a disaster.

Also, I’ve way overeaten on a few days in the last few months - am still trying to figure out how to make OMAD work for me - and I’m dramatically more thirsty on those days than I ever am after 36 hours of dry fasting, which means to me that the hydration question is definitely more complex than just arbitrarily getting x ounces of fluid into our bodies.

(Bob M) #33

Me too. I’d miss my “cup” of coffee and cup of green tea per day.

(April Harkness) #34

It will be interesting to see how my next dry fast goes without religion behind it. Being observant for , and focusing on faith for Yom Kippur was motivation. I won’t have that motivation next time…so I will be missing that!

(Mame) #35

fascinating thread, thanks for bringing this up. I am intrigued by the idea that it might be easier…

LOL, that’s a good point.
I usually do not have caffeine withdrawal issues however…

What if one did a 36 hour fast say Sunday 11pm to Tuesday 11am and embedded a dry fast period say Monday morning to Tuesday morning? That way one could have coffee/tea in the mornings and still do 24hours dry fasting.

Or perhaps just starting with a shorter dry fast…in the 12-18 hour range… much to ponder. :thinking:

@Madeleine do you just have liquids ‘normally’ before and after? Or do you make an effort to be extra hydrated before and after? (I hope my question makes sense)

Seems like a good plan!

In the meal before I do my dry fast I usually have more vegetables (I know not everyone tolerates them, but they seem to hydrate me well - cucumbers in particular) and some water with electrolytes or at least salt.

(Susan) #37

Okay, thanks Madeleine. I think that would be great to try it weekly if it goes well =). We have Thanksgiving on Monday, but I am doing the meal on Sunday (so I will put the turkey in for the meal to be ready at my usual 4:30 eating time. So I will have a nice meal before starting it =).

Sounds good! Let’s touch base on Monday morning and see how you’re feeling :slight_smile:

(Susan) #39

I normally don’t eat or drink anything until my first TMAD eating time of 1pm (except taking my medication so a sip of water) so the hardest times for me will be Sunday evening, when I usually drink a few cups of herbal tea, and the 1pm Monday-5pm when I normally am drinking tea and a lot of water.

(April Harkness) #40

More benefits that I am now noticing…coffee? I don’t have a huge desire for it today. By this time I’d be on my third cup… no joke. Heck, Not even on my 2nd cup of tea. Not today! And my mind seems more clear. I feel that the improvement in my sinuses and cold is continuing. DRY FAST- GAME CHANGER. WOW. I have been wanting to reduce my coffee consumption not knowing how to do it…replacing with tea wasn’t doing it. Maybe the secret is to just NOT HAVE IT AT ALL. NOR TEA. WOW.