Dry fasting for Yom Kippur- wish me luck!

(April Harkness) #1

I am omad. I am tough. I am a pro at this! Or perhaps not. I have never dry fasted. Will have dinner tonight and then my dry fast begins. I am dry fasting with my bf for this holiday. It will be interesting to see how I, a daily reader holds up compared to my bf and his fellow Jewish friends and family who do not fast regularly. Will dry fasting be the great equalizer? Will I be as miserable or has omad prepared me. Or does nothing prepare u for a dry fast?

(Bob M) #2

I’ll be interested to hear your details.

I cannot dry fast, as I have to take medication (three different times per day). But I’ve always wanted to try it. It’s supposedly much “faster” than regular fasting.

(Jane) #3

Looking forward to your updates!

For how long will you be dry fasting and is the “dry” part of fasting also part of the holiday observance or have they always dry fasted?

(Susan) #4

What does this mean, exactly, Bob? I understand you not being able to do it because of medications. Is it something we should all try if we can?

(Susan) #5

Take care, April, I hope that this goes well for you. Best wishes =).

(Joey) #6

Have “dry fasted” (no solids, no liquids) for 24 hours during Yom Kippur for many decades. When living on carbs, not so easy. But do’able. Sure makes you want to atone for something. :wink:

(April Harkness) #7

My bf will definately be atoning for his indiscretion in June. That is FOR SURE. Being carnivore has surprisingly made me more calm. Unlike an angry vegan, I can forgive.Plus my bf participated in Tashlich (sorry if I am spelling it wrong) ceremony. Where he cast his sins into the lake. One of them was the sin that almost made me break it off with him. So…thank Yahweh our little argument happened around this time. It made me reflect and forgive! And now I will celebrate Yom Kippur!

(Bob M) #8

Supposedly, dry fasting for a day is comparable to “wet” (?) fasting for a few days. Or at least that was what I got from one of my many podcasts to which I listen. Don’t remember which podcast it was, though.

(April Harkness) #9

I still have to do oly training tomorrow morning…I am a little afraid of doing it without sipping on my water(I can’t reschedule my training unfortunately).

(Susan) #10

Okay, thanks Bob =). I did not know this, I will have to try this sometime too then.

(April Harkness) #11

It has begun! https://youtu.be/k8qD-FksMpE

I have dry fasted for over 24-48 hrs on a handful of occasions due to past pancreatitis flares. For me, dry fasting was actually easier, because liquids (even plain water sometimes) kept my gut awake and spurred false hunger sensations during water/tea fasting. I do feel a bit concerned about your training without liquids, but I don’t really know anything about exercise while dry fasting :confused:

(Karen) #13

Be careful.

Hope you had an easy fast. We are almost ready to break ours with a brisket and roast chicken - come on Sunset! I drink water because I had to take meds never tried a real Yom Kippur dry fast might try next year. Happy New Year.

I’m not doing it to lose weight, but I’m dryfasting one day/ week and keep dropping down to a new low each time as if dry fasting is dropping my set point. Most folks who DF find it like water fasting but 1) much easier in terms of hunger and 2) increased results vis a vis health or weight loss.

@April_Harkness April, how was it? I find one day quite easy but have trouble sleeping the second night. The first few times I dry fasted I was careful not to be too active but now I don’t even adjust my workouts. I’m sure I’d have to if I went past 36 hrs, but I have no interest in going longer.

(Susan) #16

Very nice, Madeleine. How many hours do you do the Fast for?

For the last month or so I’ve done a weekly 48 hour fast, of which 36 or so are dry.

(Susan) #18

Oh, okay, thanks for sharing this with us. It is very interesting! The only problem I would have in doing that would be medications I have to take. Does that totally negate it if one were to just swallow enough water to take the pills?

Hmmm- I’m not sure. How often do you have to take the medications?

(Susan) #20

Once a day I have to take my Singulaire (asthma pill) it is not very big. It is the only one that I have to take (as anything else I take are only vitamins or supplements I have began since Keto, so I can skip them for a day easily).