Dread's Progress Thread - Extended Fasting & Carnivore

zerocarb
fasting
extendedfast

(Adam Kirby) #361

Nice, a military press is an overhead press right? I can only do 115 lbs OHP for a rep or two. Would like to get to bodyweight one day.

(Chris) #362

Yeah itā€™s an OHP, or press, or strict press. :slight_smile:

My advice is do 6-16 sets of 1-4 reps, Iā€™d say between 95 and 110lbs on your OHP days and see if that leads to any improvement. I also do machine presses after the main lift in varying rep ranges from 3 to 15.

(Adam Kirby) #363

Iā€™ve been kinda lax on OHP lately. I mainly started doing it to bridge the gap between ā€œnormalā€ handstand push ups which I can do fine, to the ā€œfullā€ elevated version which I canā€™t do at all.

(Chris) #364

Gotcha, I think it sounds like a good accessory movement for your goal then.

(Chris) #365

Changing things up starting this week. Instead of this bro split Iā€™m thinking full body every day with emphasis on one main lift each.

(Chris) #366

Started the new routine this week. Some thoughts.

Yesterday I woke up at 5:30am, a full 90 minutes late. As such, and since I had to scoot my busted ass car down to the dealership nice and early, I skipped the gym. Went after work around 5:30pm instead. Good lord. They filled the parking lots of the gym, tire place, and mattress store, and then started taking over Hobby Lobby.

I managed to find a decent spot in my loaner F-150, so I went anyway. Best 2.5 hour workout Iā€™ve had in a long time.

Heavy Squats - rack opened up as I left the locker room.
DB Rows - no straps, worked up to 80lb weights for sets of 4 (about a dozen sets).
Decline Bench - the one decline bench opened up right as I was finishing my rows.
Machine Press - all of the press machines were taken so I opted to do kettlebell presses, working up to 50lbs (biggest they have) with each hand, again, sets of 4. No idea how many sets I did but it was a lot.
Leg Extension - worked up to 250 on this, sets of 4 paused, toes in. This obliterated my quads in a good way. Iā€™m all wet thinking about how sore I am.
DB Curl - curlz get the gurlz. Since they were sets of 4 I worked up to 45lb dumbbells and concentrated on going slowly with good form.

My left shoulder has been a little sore this week, as far as notes go. This morning I started with standing press, got up to about 115 before calling it quits.

Overall I still like full body routines better than bro splits. This means if I actually do skip a day I donā€™t miss out on training that bodypart for an entire week.

(Chris) #367

High bar squat is now capped at 255, 10lb higher than the last max. It was not easy to stand that up, and I admit I saw stars afterward. 130lbs from previous low bar max now.

(Chris) #368

Last night I got in super late and didnā€™t get into bed until 11, woke up at 4:30 and dragged ass ever since. Cut the workout down to the 4 main body parts I do (squat, decline bench, machine row/machine press). Not ideal but as it goes, do it anyway and just go through the motions. You can rest tomorrow.

(What The Fast?!) #369

I agree with almost everything you said here and I really WANT to agree with it all. I recently had a food intolerance test that showed that Iā€™m intolerant to a large list of foods including butter, eggs, and beef.

Iā€™m currently in the process of testing each food after 2 months of an intense elimination diet and can say with certainty that butter is a no-go for me and Iā€™m fairly certain eggs are too. They both cause painful constipation. Iā€™m testing beef right now and will let you know.

PS I did try ZC for a month but included eggs so I should probably try again (and for a longer period of time).
PPS I donā€™t think youā€™re an asshole, Iā€™d call it passion. :wink:

(Chris) #370

This thread is just a public display of me putting my foot in my mouth. <3

I have to admit, I do not know what goes into an intolerance test, but that result makes me a little nervous. Did it say anything about lamb, goat, llama or other grass-eating 4-leggers?

Too much butter binds me up, eggs less so but I still like to eat them (try to keep it to a dozen a week, pastured but last week got away from me, I ate 4 dozen in a couple of days on top of all the beef, oops).

I think you should try 30+ of meat and water, skip the eggs and dairy completely, toss in a slice of liver if you feel like it. I find it crazy how adding or removing a food can have such instant results sometimes.

Thanks for that. Itā€™s all passion!

(What The Fast?!) #371

Eggs are my favorite food, hands down. I miss them dearly. :slight_smile: Hereā€™s the list from intolerance test:

(Chris) #372

Yeesh, according to that test you canā€™t be a carnivore OR a vegan. Oy veā€¦ What lab produced this, and do they disclose how they make these conclusions (again, I am completely ignorant about these tests, all sincere curiosity!).

(What The Fast?!) #373

This is called the Mediator Release Test. Itā€™s different than the IGG test, which is testing for antibodies. Out of all food intolerance tests I researched, MRT has the most reproducible results and seems to be the most accurate.

All I really know is that I cut out all these foods and almost immediately, I went from very painful, impacted :poop: 1-2x a week to going every day without pain. (I was mainly eating pork products, zucchini, and spinach.)

I added kerrygold butter back in (derivative of cows milk) and I starting having issues again within 36 hours. Similar response when I added eggs. Iā€™m on day 3 of testing beef and I donā€™t seem to have an issue so far (thank GAWD).

I will be testing things and one by one but I donā€™t think I can ever go back to avocado, sadly. Iā€™m also going to test things that arenā€™t listed at all, like duck and duck eggs, bison, etc.

(Chris) #374

Cool! Iā€™m gonna do some reading about it offline, thanks for sharing.

Good luck with your beef test, I am anxious to see the result after time!

(Chris) #375

(Chris) #376

(Chris) #377

You do NOT need any carbs whatsoever to build muscle.

(Jay AM) #378

Iā€™m curious if you could have ghee even though you canā€™t have butter. Ghee is very simple to make at home. And, also, yolks without the whites. Might be worth a self test for both so you donā€™t lose good foods.

(What The Fast?!) #379

@J_A-M Iā€™m intolerant to both yolks and whites. I asked about ghee but itā€™s not casein thatā€™s the issue. I will test it separately though. For now, I donā€™t mind avoiding.

(Chris) #380

Just back from a mini stay-cation. First day back in the gym. Was a good workout overall but I felt kind of weak and out of place.

We got an instant pot over the weekend and Iā€™ve been having a lot of fun with it, since our crock pot cracked. Being able to prep/cook/serve beef stew in an hour is a fucking magical event. 5 minutes for 18 hard boiled eggs is also a feat of the imagination. I can get sooooo much food prep done in so little time with just one appliance. If you canā€™t tell, Iā€™m an instant fanboy.

Anyway, looking forward to getting today overwith, training tomorrow, and going right back into weekend mode. Cheers.