Dread's Progress Thread - Extended Fasting & Carnivore

zerocarb
fasting
extendedfast

(Chris) #321

Totally agree. The whole reason there’s issues is because they’re not bothering to have the discipline to commit. Look, that’s not ZC, get it out of there. That’s keto.

(Tracy) #322

I think some people coming to ZC from keto, like myself, don’t really expect a long period of adaptation, and can panic at the first sign of difficulty. I’m admittedly struggling a bit at the moment, but am committed to seeing this through. I have read your thread and everything else I can get my hands on about ZC or carnivory, or whatever you want to call it. It is really helpful to have people staying the course and reminding the rest of us to stick with it when doubts creep in. Thanks for sharing your journey.

(Doug) #323

Only real deal I can think of there is a poor gorilla that’s been in captivity for decades, indeed somewhat the same as some of us after bad dietary advice getting hammered into us for many years.

Hey man, no fair counting it as weight loss after removing that fearsome beard. :smile:

Good to see you healed up and rolling, Dread.

(Chris) #324

I couldn’t keep the damned thing moisturized enough to stave off the itching and dandruff. Oiling once a day, dandruff shampoo once a week, conditioner, no conditioner. Was starting to impact the rest of my life too much, so I had to cut ties with it, to my wife’s dismay.

Fingers haven’t gotten full mobility back but it’s getting better. My OT told me she’s never seen such fibrous scar tissue before, so I’m wondering if that correlates to the diet in any way.

(Doug) #325

Wow - that is a lot of trouble with a beard. :neutral_face: I like having one because of the “less work” factor, i.e. only shaving once or twice a week. Wouldn’t want to have to mess with things, though.

I had some raised scars - definitely keloid scars (you google images for “keloid scar” and bingo) - on both shins from 2011. Like a total idiot - with both hands full I thought I could walk down a set of portable metal stairs even though they weren’t hooked at the top, rather just leaning against a trailer by the doorway. Would have taken 30 seconds to go out another way and hook the stairs up, but no - “Aw hell, Ed, I think it will be okay.” So when the bottom ‘kicked out’ and slid away and the stairs and I fell right down, it wasn’t pretty.

What kind of a 52 year old guy does that? Well I’ll tell you - a fucking’ dumbass - that’s what. Ed and I still laugh about it. :smile:

After 6 years with those scars and little or no change, last year got on the Keto and fasting bandwagon and the scars went down. You can still see their outline - they are a little lighter in color than the surrounding skin - but they are not raised up any more.

(Chris) #326

Hit 225 for 1 on the squat last Thursday, a real grinder. Just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, did it again this morning. Nope, not a fluke. I’m getting stronger.

I’m still 160lbs shy of my old max, obtained when I was 230lbs. I still think I can smash that record at this weight.

Side note, I ate cake on Saturday, it was my little girl’s 6th birthday and she’s wanted this panda cake since last year. I couldn’t tell her no.

(Chris) #327

No gym today. We’re all down at my parents since we lost power on Friday. Planning to go back up today. Parents lost power last night, very heavy snow.

Also, I found, purchased, and consumed half a gallon of raw milk yesterday. It was delicious.

(Chris) #328

Update: power was out here for 5 days. Glad we evacuated. We’re back home now, all systems normal. Lost 6lbs of steak and some ribs, but saved the best ones and ate them on “vacation”.

(Chris) #329

Getting these soon.

(Chris) #330

Be serious for once in your life. Your health is not a fucking joke.

(Chris) #331

Bloodwork. My cholesterol is high according to range, and my D is low. Creatinine and Urea were high.

(CharleyD) #332

I’d be more worried about the Vit D insufficiency:
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/vitamin-d

(Chris) #333

Yeah I’m probably gonna start supplementing that. Anyone know of a brand that uses animal-sourced D3? I see a lot of “vegan” sources online, not to be a zealot.

(CharleyD) #334

Looks like the usual carnivore sources should be fine. You may just need to up the sunlight?
How do you feel about eggs and liver?

(Chris) #335

Well, I’m in the Northeast US 99% of the time, so I think supplementation may be necessary according to the Rhonda link you just sent me. Then again you also just mentioned eggs and liver so I’ll speak on that.

I eat 6 to 12 cage free eggs a week, fried with raw yolks. Should I pump up that rookie number? I can get liver, at the store in the next town over. I’ll look into that too. Doubt that it’s grass finished if that matters.

(CharleyD) #336

Ugh, sorry about the geography. Usually from Memorial day through Labor Day I’ll lay out a couple hours on the weekends. It’s enough to give a little color and that’s my cue that I’m getting enough D.

I would have thought that that amount of eggs would be enough. I just get an 18 pack every 2 weeks myself and make a Works omlette with 4-5 eggs at a time so I don’t get burned out on them.

I’ve grown less picky about the finishing. D is a fat soluble vitamin so you may want to consider the fattier organ as there’s a chance it’ll have more of the vitamin stored in it.

(Chris) #337

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

(Chris W) #338

I have read that Urea Nitrogen (BUN) being towards the upper end of the range is typical for a highly animal based diet. Your number is not that far above the upper end of the range. When I look back through my results history, I’ve had much higher numbers, even when I was not on a carnivorous diet. Your Creatinine is actually in range, it’s just the BUN showing up as high twice, once by itself and once in a ratio.

(KCKO, KCFO) #339

Don’t forget fish are high in Vit D3. You only need 30 mins. of sunshine to keep your D3 levels up. One cloudy days, try to eat what you need from the meats and fish. I had a low report once, upping my sardines, salmon, and liver pates did the trick for me.

Good luck sorting it all out.

(Chris) #340

Thanks for the reassurance, my friends.

Today I PR’d the squat again, went up 10lbs from last time to 235. Once working up to that weight I backed off again to 185 and then finished my squat workout with some paused squats with 135. On this final set, I took my time to stop in the hole and squeeze my hips to my hamstrings, while pushing my butt out and extending the lumbar.

After this I filled in with my usual leg extensions and curls, calf raises. Then finished up with weighted ab work and another 10 minutes in the sauna.