Dread's Progress Thread - Extended Fasting & Carnivore

zerocarb
fasting
extendedfast

(Chris) #301

Thank you! Still a ways to go but steady.

(Chris) #302

Nerded out yesterdayā€¦

(Chris) #303

Hello!

Iā€™ve been experimenting with NOT fasting as much during the week, while still training. So far I have not noticed much difference in gym performance on a multi-day fast vs. feeding daily. Hard to gauge long term.

Iā€™ve also decided to try to get fattier cuts of meat because I just donā€™t feel Iā€™m getting enough fat. Top round London broils are about 70/30 macro wise P/F, Iā€™d like to reverse it 40/60 but Iā€™d settle for 50/50. Time to re-think how and where I obtain my meat.

Also, the London broil quality at my nearest supermarket has plummeted lately, the oyster cuts are almost non-existent and the top round steaks they DO have contain those long mostly inedible bits of connective tissue. Not that they are actually inedible, just too damn chewy.

Anyway. Iā€™m only working from home on Fridays now, so I see my family 3 days a week instead of 4. This really blows for many reasons, but the bright side is I get another morning in the gym at least. Hoorah.

(Chris) #304

New blog post, about my morning routine.

(Chris) #305

Spent all 4 gym days training squats and training my ass. Glute ham raise, reverse hyper, abducters, leg curls/press/extensions. Not sore at all. Ate quite a bit.

(Chris) #306

Possibly no gym this week. Both of our cars are dead in the water right now. My wifeā€™s Saturn has a rotted out fuel line (sheā€™s getting a new car), and my 2016 Focus has a bad starter. Iā€™m sitting in the dealership in PA right now grumbling, waiting for a diagnosis. Mother in law is coming up to help out.

Iā€™m planning to do some kettlebell and bodyweight stuff starting today. If only this dealership had a pull-up bar Iā€™d start right now :smiley:

(Doug) #307

So if the dealership says you need a new starter, your mother-in-law is gonna change it? :slightly_smiling_face:

(Chris) #308

Jeez, I donā€™t want to send it to the junkyard just yet! Last month I caught her driving around with the oil light on.

(KetoCowboy) #309

How annoying is it that every waiting room in America has a big TV blasting mind-numbing, soul-crushing news at people, but almost none have a freaking pull-up bar?

(Chris) #310

Truth. Anyway itā€™s not the starter, itā€™s one of my clutches in this dual clutch automatic tranny. 4k miles from powertrain warranty expiration, thank the gods.

(Chris) #311

But the parts are backordered. So I gotta wait.

(Doug) #312

Iā€™ve spent a good many hours (heck, monthsā€¦) waiting in bars.

While not ā€˜waiting roomsā€™ per se, in Louisiana they offer drive-through booze outlets, many specializing in daiquiris. #notevenremotelyketo

(Chris) #313

Testing the anti aging effects of a good old double edge slant razor; or how I went from 34 to 16 in 10 minutesā€¦

(Chris) #314

Alright, so all of our stupid fucking car issues are resolved, for now. To remedy my wifeā€™s fuel line situation, I am selling her shitbox Saturn and purchased a used 04 Camry cash. Itā€™s in good shape and with the amount of miles she drives, should last forever.

My car had one of the clutches (dual clutch automatic) die on me, 4k miles from the end of the powertrain warranty. Ford fixed it, allegedly. Iā€™m planning to trade it in next week for a newer Focus (itā€™s the best I can afford, and fits the family + cats, also great on gas, and this model year is outside the range of transmission issues as far as I can see).

This week Iā€™m back at work in CT, killing it at the gym every day at 5 am. Ribeye went on sale for $5.77 a lb for valentines day, which I am taking full advantage of. Iā€™m down to 7lbs, which will be gone by tomorrow morning. Tonight Iā€™ll grab some more, perhaps even more tomorrow. One sale ends today, the other Saturday. I wonā€™t be able to afford ribeye after this, unless some other sale pops up. So I must take advantage.

My work schedule and position is changing. Iā€™m moving (laterally?) back to a field management position, rather than office operations management. My boss asked me if that was okay with me, my response is always that I will go where needed as long as it A) truly benefits us as a group, and B) I have a clear definition of what I am supposed to do, vs. what I am to stay away from. Right now, I do not have that clarity. I do a little of everything and as such, not much gets done. And I get hammered for it. I have extreme ownership of many facets of the business and that puts me in the crosshairs more often than I like. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m a natural leader and taking ownership (and oftentimes blame) is part of my personality. I just need some real definition of my job. So anyway, Iā€™m personally writing up my new job description and KPI structure. And Iā€™ve been told that this new position will potentially include bonus potential. I will capitalize the fuck out of that shit.

Anyhoo, Iā€™m sore af right now, getting back to work. See ya.

(Vladaar Malane) #315

Dread, fantastic success story!. How tall are you? Iā€™m 5ā€™9" at 185 lbs, and hoping that when I get down into the 170ā€™s my love handles will be gone, but if I have to get down to 150 ish, I donā€™t know that I will like being that light. I work out, went from doing zero pull ups at 208 lbs, to doing 6 in a row now. I am not trying to get big, but can bench my own body weight for 3 sets of 6. I just want to have an athletic build with six pack, pls to go. LoL.

(Chris) #316

Same height as you, currently 163. I still have love handles, theyā€™re my plague right now. I havenā€™t been doing much fasting lately, instead eating more meat and fat to see if that makes my metabolism go up. Iā€™ve gone from an XL to a small polo, medium t-shirt / jacket size, so Iā€™m pretty happy with that. Like you Iā€™d also just like to be built with some visible abs and get rid of the love handles. Slow but sure!

(Chris) #317

(Chris) #318

Decided to actually do some kind of a routine while training. Right now Iā€™m in town for the gym 4 days a week, in a month itā€™ll be 5 days.

Day 1 - Leggies

Back squat work up to heavy singles finish with an AMRAP set
Seated leg curl 10x6 - 10 second hold at peak contraction
Seated leg extension 10x6 - 10 second hold at peak contraction
Calf raises 5x10
Planks

Day 2 - Shoulders

Standing press work up to heavy singles, finish with AMRAP
Machine press 10x5
Lateral raise 6x10
Bicep curl 6x10
Triceps pulldown / skullcrusher 6x10 pick one
Abs

Day 3 - Chest and Back - Bring straps

Bench press work up to singles then AMRAP
Bent-over row work up to singles
Dumbbell row
Lat pulldown 6x10
Seated row 6x10
Dips 5x6
Abs

Day 4 - All the Other Shit

Fuckaround
Bring straps

Squats
Shrugs
Leg extension 10x6 hold at peak extension for 10 seconds
Pull-ups
Leg abductors 6x10 as heavy as possible FOR DAT ASS
Abs

All workouts start at 5am and go as long as needed. End with at least 10 minutes in the sauna. Headphones in, METAL FUCKING LOUD AND ANGRY (this is key).

Goal is strength and size. Iā€™m small and weak.

(Chris) #319

This is gonna come off as dogmatic as fuck and closed minded, but Iā€™m annoyed to the point of being irrationally pissed off.

Thereā€™s a thread in ZC regarding constipation.

Not calling any one particular person out, not that Iā€™m afraid to or against that. Itā€™s just ridiculous that most of the posters in this thread fail to see there is a right and wrong way to do ZC. You NEED to give yourself months to adapt to this. Youā€™re changing your biology (for the better, might I add), your gut bacteria is dying. Youā€™re improving your digestion, youā€™re fixing metabolic disease. You canā€™t just ā€œremove fiber for 4 daysā€ and expect to have perfect shits. Iā€™m 8 months in strict ZC, no plants whatsoever, and my shits are perfect. I go every few days, Iā€™m not constipated all, and on top of that Iā€™m getting stronger, leaner, and have way more energy than before just simply being keto.

Expecting to get better digestion by going ZC for 2 weeks and then giving up and using flaxseed, chia seeds, psyllium husk or other harmful supplements in an effort to shit better is ONLY going to lead you to worse bowel movements.

You totally defeat the purpose because you refuse to give it a fighting chance. Based on some garbage black and white ā€œscienceā€ and thinking you know better.

Sorry, but biology isnā€™t black and white. Thereā€™s a hell of lot more going on that canā€™t be minimized down in a lab.

Everyone is different and what works for you wonā€™t work for everyone else.

Tell that to a shark, a turtle, a dove, a lion, or a gorilla. Shut the fuck up. Youā€™re not special, youā€™re human. You may have differing degrees of metabolic derangement, but frankly youā€™re no different than me. Thinking that thereā€™s some differentiation like that in the SAME FUCKING SPECIES is pretty fucking arrogant.

/rant off

Iā€™m an asshole and you donā€™t have to like it. Get some.

(Adam Kirby) #320

Itā€™s weird that people talk about constipation on ZC, my experiences have always been the oppositeā€¦ when I go mostly carnivore from a period of eating more plants I tend to get borderline diarrhea for a while. This improves after a while. Itā€™s true that I shit less on ZC but this is not the same thing as constipation, I shit less because I donā€™t need to.