Dread's Progress Thread - Extended Fasting & Carnivore

zerocarb
fasting
extendedfast

(Chris) #241

It’s an okay app, unfortunately there’s no really great ones on Android, this and vora seem to be the most popular.

(Doug) #242

This is true, Dread, we should be. If the world is in a weird place, I think that here it’s because things are more complex then ever - we have financial interests working against us, a flood of information coming at us from various realms, and the same old desire in many people to accept the status quo, to believe in “gurus,” and to not question the doctor.

It can be hard for the individual to get started right, but hopefully…

(Chris) #243

153 this morning. Woke up with some nausea. Took salt and ACV, had a cup of joe and it seemed to subside. Later I had to move a bunch of boxes of books, and ended up a bit faint, but muscled through it. Now I’m sitting at my office nursing some salt water. I go home tomorrow and there’s steak waiting for me…it’s also payday! MORE BEEF NOW.

(Chris) #244

Next rant: FUCK YOUR CORRELATION DOESN’T EQUATE TO CAUSATION BULLSHIT. 3/4 of the people who spout this shit are just trumpeting what others are saying without giving any thought to the context or content. My hands around your neck will have been the causation of your head exploding.

/rant

(Doug) #245

Dread, all that meat is making you aggressive. :smile:

(Chris) #246

Probably <3

(Chris) #247

Broke fast on wings. Was epic. Ordered the tavern size (largest, 3 flavors) and murdered it.

(Chris) #248

Stayed at 153 this morning. Friday’s I’m usually working at home, so when I snapped awake at 4:15, and saw my upcoming alarm was for 6am, I almost panicked…but I got up and after it anyway. Now I’m sitting in my office waiting for the rest of the world to wake up. Should be getting a haircut and gym membership today, since I’m leaving early.

(Chris) #249

Possible workout routine. Not even sure if I’m going to track it, I feel like I’ll get more done if I just lift and shut up.

I travel a lot. I’m home usually 4 days, and out 3. The gyms near work are cheaper than the gyms near home (and arguably better, too). Since the mid-week is spent with early mornings, it makes sense for me to get up early as fuck and get it in before work, than it is to bother trying to fuck with the 5pm crowd. Since I only have 3 days of access to heavy iron, though, I have to play my routine around that and find something that works.

I will center the 3 days around big lifts, and use freeweights for them. Squats, Bench or Press, and Deadlifts. I may completely drop bench as a main lift and only focus on improving my overhead pressing, while doing dumbbell work for chest development instead.

Main Lifts:
Squat. Variations include low bar powerlifting style, high bar olympic style, and front squats or zercher squats.
Press. Standing barbell press.
Deadlift. Variations include classic, sumo, and snatch grip deadlifts.

Accessory work:
Squat day: Main lift, sets of up to 5 and as low as 1. Leg curls, reverse hyper or calf raises. Heavy dumbbell rows (excess of 100#), dumbbell bench
Press day: Lighter squats. Main lift, sets of up to 5 and as low as 1. Dumbbell or kettlebell press. Cable shoulder rehab exercises, because my shoulders are fucking FUCKED. Maybe add in some curls.
Deadlift day: Lighter squats (front?). Main lift, sets of up to 5 and as low as 1. Barbell shrugs, normal or zercher style. Barbell row. Lighter barbell presses.

THAT SAID: I might be able to squeeze on in on Thursday nights on my way home. There’s clubs all over the state so it’s a possibility I can get in later than 5 somewhere and kill it. I’ll have to see. Monday night is also a possibility on the way back to town for work. I live 4 hours from work.

Over the long weekends, I have my dumbbells, kettlebell and pullup bar as well as one fitness band for pull-aparts and whatnot. I also have an ab wheel for rollouts, I would like to progress to full standing rollouts.

(Jeff Davis) #250

I like what Vinnie Tortorich says: a vegan diet is perfectly fine as long as it includes some red meat.

(Chris) #251

(Chris) #252

154 this morning.

Yesterday I left work early and got after it at the new gym. It was humbling. My squat has suffered tremendously since I haven’t been training it. For reference a few years ago my one rep max was 385. Yesterday I struggled with 135x3-5. I felt weak. But instead of obsessing over that, I stared straight ahead and kept doing sets with 135 until my quads and hamstrings were so tight I had to stop.

I also did some barbell presses, barbell shrugs and pullups and dips. All of those went great.

Thing to remember here is there are a lot of reasons why my squat sucks, the main one is that I haven’t trained in a few years. Another is that I rapidly lost all of my excess weight very recently. When I put up 385 I was at the end of a brutal six week training program. I felt more alive than ever when I racked that bar. I can still recall the feeling.

My point is, even though I initially felt like a weak failure, I have to take it into perspective that there’s a good reason I’m a weak failure, and there’s a way to fix it. Lift more, eat more, sleep well, and keep pushing forward. Next week I will squat more.

(Chris) #253

5.8lbs of beef.

(Kel Ta) #254

I like Ted Naiman’s approach of cutting fat to cut like bodybuilders do once fat adapted of course, and yes resistance training vs body weight- muscle gains!!! Check out Menno Henselmen- he’s got a good blog for body comp too

(Chris) #255

158 today.

(Chris) #256

160 this morning. Possibly adding more eating days since I’m planning to be under the iron quite a bit.

(Chris) #257

Got in a decent workout tonight. Going to sleep now to rest for another one.

(Chris) #258

Didn’t get a weight, but made it to the gym 6.5 hours after leaving it. Place was surprisingly packed for 5:30am. I need to get to bed earlier methinks.

(Chris) #259

No weight today. So far I’ve hit the iron Monday night, Tuesday morning and night, and Wednesday morning with zero food. Zero, fuck, ing, food. Last night I worked with a trainer for the sales pitch, and I was pleasantly surprised that he was knowledgeable about barbell movements. Helped me out with my squat. I performed the fitness assessment to his satisfaction. Then I sat with the sales manager, and even though I had no intention of spending an extra 200 a month on training, she blew it.

“Don’t worry, when you start working with Anthony we’ll introduce carbs back in.”

Not on your life sweetheart. I have worked too damn hard for this 13.9% bodyfat. If I get to a point where I’m sticking, then MAYBE. But for now? Energy is not lacking in the least, and the fact that I haven’t eaten yet is fucking proof to me.

Yes, that’s right, 13.9% is my approximate bodyfat level, according to the scale you step on with handhelds. I know it’s not a DEXA, but it’s far enough down that my real bodyfat level should be well below 20%. I thought I was about 22% based on photo comparisons online, so I was again, pleasantly surprised.

(Chris) #260

Again no weight today. I’m more concerned with getting out the door to the gym, so my morning routine has shifted.

To recap, what I used to do was: Snooze the 4:30 alarm to 5:30. Roll out of bed, grab fresh underwear, pee, weight myself, then shower. Then I’d get dressed, brush and floss, do my hair and apply deodorant. Then fill my water bottles, pack my phone charger and chromebook in my work bag and out the door to the office I go.

Now: Wake up at 4-4:15, put on sweatpants and tshirt or tank. Brush teeth, apply deodorant, thoroughly wet hair and style with pomade. Water bottles already full from night before and in the car. Grab work bag / charger and gym bag (pre-packed with my Oly shoes and the work clothes I’d wear today) and head straight to the gym. My primary location is about 45 minutes away from where I stay during the work week, but it’s 10 minutes from my office. So I arrived at 5:20-5:30 and train for about an hour. Then I fix my hair, get my jeans on and head to the office for about 6:45. Then I sit in quiet solitude for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. During this time I browse the web and prep for the day to come while I drink my coffee.

My squats are still shit, and I will continue to train them until I can once again perfect my form. My core is pretty weak, so that’s something I’ll be doing alongside (usually while waiting for a rack to open up, but I can do hanging raises from home too).

Had a nice 2.4 lb steak last night, was a bit overcooked for my liking, but the outside had a fantastic crust. Butterbasted on the grill.