Dread's Progress Thread - Extended Fasting & Carnivore

zerocarb
fasting
extendedfast

(Chris) #181

Feeling good today, here’s some new pics!

Have to click on the second one, it is displaying zoomed in.

(Doug) #182

Nice dark beard, Dread. That ship sailed a long time ago for me…

(Chris) #183

Thanks for the compliment, chief. I made a photos thread in the before and after forum that might have pics of an old beard from last year.

(Chris) #184

Ate 5.5 lbs of steak today.

(Chris) #185

159 today. Fasting until Friday (that’s the goal). Trudging through my Monday chores. Just folded a bunch of laundry. Been cooking for everyone. Usually Mondays are the worst for hunger but I’m in control.

(Chris) #186
  1. Day 2 of 5 day fast. Feeling fine, some work-induced stress that should be alleviated once I smash a few skulls together.

(Chris) #187

151 this morning. Feeling OK. Work has been very busy this week, and lots on my mind.

Yesterday I hadn’t had any water, only 3 8oz black coffees. Then I decided about 12:30 when I was about to walk into a long client meeting that I’d dry fast for the rest of the night and continue the water fast in the morning. So, that’s what I did. Surprisingly, it was easier than I expected. I was 155 yesterday morning. Not sure if that’s additional water loss or what, but I may incorporate weekly 24 hour dry fasts in the midst of these 5 day water fasts, not sure.

Anyway that’s all for now. Tomorrow before I eat my breakfast I will try to get some photos.

(Chris) #188

147.8. Broke fast last night with 7 eggs. This morning woke up nauseous with a headache. Water and coffee and some herbal remedy helped that. Did a brief intense lat workout and tools some new pics! They are all full length so if the post shortens them just click!

Few more months of heavy fasting and I’m gonna try and bulk again, this time without carbs.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #189

Stop with all the sexy shots, dude, you’re getting me excited!

I figure that since you started at a much heavier weight than I, it must be possible for even me to look like you someday—well, not as handsome, of course—but with an actual waistline and everything. (I know, from my mouth to God’s ear!) :bacon:

(Chris) #190

151 this morning. Feeling fine as usual. 2nd day of feast. I’ve so far eaten 2.3 lbs of London broil and am quite full. Also drank some cream before because, well it’s fucking delicious. Past two days have been 18/6 and 17/7 intermittent fasts, so I’m keeping my eating restricted even on feast days. Not sure if it makes a difference in the grand scheme of things, but I usually don’t eat for the first several hours of any given day anyway. Ever since hearing of leangains.

Anywho. That’s about all for now. Had to drive around to 3 different stores in order to find some decent steaks. Selection was garbage.

(Chris) #191

Nothing but possible, my friend!

(Chris) #192

155 this morning. Did not eat as much this weekend as last, and that’s cool. I have 4lbs of steak in the freezer waiting for Friday.

Currently staring myself in the mirror looking for these signs of this crazy gluconeogenesis I’m apparently going to get from my high protein intake. Surprisingly (or not), I can’t tell.

You seem to maintain the same 10-pound range before and after fasts, but your belly and love handles have shrunk considerably over the last few months. I take it the goal of all your fasting is autophagy?

(Chris) #194

Yup, it seems pretty stable to me. As far as goals, fat loss is still #1, muscle gain #2 now, autophagy is important but it’s so mysterious right now.

However, my whole house has gotten sick a few times and I’ve done nothing to protect myself (on purpose), and so far knock on wood, I have not had a symptom at all. I’m mostly convinced that’s due to fasting’s recycling effect on the immune system.

(Chris) #195

154 this morning. Steady as she goes. Felt like I looked good in the mirror today, yay!

More stuff to speak on, but I’m in a meeting right now.

(Chris) #196

Rant time. No sources will be linked. This is meant to be fun, try not to take offense. I’m not a doctor, I’m not a scientist, I may not be human, and I have no authority to speak on any of this.

1. Saw a post on reddit today: Why is my face puffy and red all the sudden? I recently went vegan and upped my nuts, legumes, and soy!

WELL NO SHIT!

1. Is hydrogenated oil ok in peanut butter?

No, it’s not okay in anything. Is this really a discussion?

1. Keto-friendly replacement foods, fat bombs, sweeteners

If you eat and use these things, they are going to hinder you. An obese person does not need “fat bombs” to lose fat, they need to let that fat in their cells get metabolized and used as energy, if you’re constantly stuffing more fat in, don’t expect much to happen. Sweeteners, while they may not spike your glucose or insulin, will still cause you to crave sweet things. I shouldn’t have to tell you how bad that is for your progress. Same goes for keto replacement foods, even carnivore pizza, cauliflower mashed potatoes. These poor substitutes make me think of the low fat versions of real foods; I want the real thing, damn it! Give me a nice, greasy NY pie any day of the week.

1. Too much protein

Barring any uric or chronic kidney problems, tell me how one can get too much protein from typical grocery meats? Those have fat in them too. The lean is mostly water and the fat has no water, so the ratios of protein to fat are incredibly important here and shouldn’t be left out. STOP TALKING ABOUT PROTEIN IN A VACUUM, THAT’S NOT HOW NUTRITION WORKS. You can’t buy rabbit at stop and shop, so I don’t think people are talking about that.

1. Net carbs

Works for some people, but if you ask me the best advice is keep your total carbs under 20g. Do you think you need fiber in your diet? You don’t, if you’re eating the right foods. In fact, fiber is detrimental, damaging to the colon, feeds the harmful gut bacteria, causes the constipation it should be curing, and lowers your sex hormones.

Three cheers for conventional wisdom in the diet world.

1. Veganism

This is a slow death sentence. Sure, going full-on vegan is preferable to SAD. But you will not thrive.

Rant over.

(Doug) #197

Dread, while I’ve never worried about it, “too much protein” can make the body burn it for fuel (as opposed to burning fat - from a keto/weight loss standpoint) or the body will convert it to fatty acids and store it away (definitely not what many people want). There is also the much greater insulin response to protein, versus fat, which is a thing for many of us.

Once ate a 6 lb. steak at one of those places that gives it to you for free if you do it in the allotted time (along with a salad and a baked potato). 90 minutes or less, I did it in 19, which was the speed record at that place. Found out a sister restaurant had a guy do it in 10.5 :disappointed:

6 pounds; that’s like 2 rabbits.

(Chris) #198

Absolutely, but those discussions are only ever about one macronutrient, when they should be about a food in general. Beef doesn’t have just protein, it has a lot of water, fat, vitamins, and minerals and shouldn’t be reduced to what could be swallowed in a protein pill.

EDIT: And that 6lb steak sounds amazing even though I have zero appetite today!

(Doug) #199

Well, with keto it seems to me that fats are “to satiety” or virtually unlimited or don’t worry about them, and carbohydrates are a no-no, pretty much, so that leaves protein.:wink:

Dread, for pure meat-eating excess, check out Molly Schuyler - weighs like 125 lbs. and ate three 4.5 lb. steaks, each one with the accompanying shrimp cocktails, salads and rolls, in less than 20 minutes.

Warning: not for the faint of heart.

(Chris) #200

Wow, Molly is DYNAMITE!