Dog Keto

(gmoehlenhoff) #1

My dog is 12 , overweight, and starting to have hip problems. Because Keto was so good to me, I researched pet keto. There is a dog keto resource that washe wonderful to provide me a plan. My dog is 85 lbs and the suggested 2 meals a day. Each meal is:

AM MEAL 1:1 @ 15 Calories Per Pound
Raw 70/30 Ground Beef: 60 grams
Raw 80/20 Ground Beef: 185 grams
Raw Finely Diced Fibrous Veggies: 35-40 grams

All meat is raw. My only concern is how expensive this will be. Still so grateful I can keto him.

Do any of you keto your pet? Suggested meal plans? Excited to see your experiences!

Species specific nutrition -duh!
(joievawter) #2

We don’t keto our pup but, we feed him a carnivorous raw diet.
Our pup is a Chihuahua & Jack Russell Terrier mix. He is 12 wks and weighs 4#s. He will be weighed tomorrow and I think he may be pushing 5#s, he is growing and his coat shiny & so silky.

There is a yahoo group about raw feeding you will like. It is Raw Fed Dogs & Cats. You can google the Raw Feed Diet too.

My poor dog just get kibble! It’s a lamb formula that’s supposed to be good for allergies. I’m sure she would prefer the raw meat!

(joievawter) #4

6m

“My poor dog just get kibble! It’s a lamb formula that’s supposed to be good for allergies. I’m sure she would prefer the raw meat!”

Our first dog was on a lamb formula as well & he had lots of allergies. I wish we had switched him to a raw diet as soon as I learned about it but I was afraid & didn’t feel equipped enough. I have researched it now for a few years and this time around I was ready so this pup gets the Raw carnivorous diet.
Our other doggy lived a long life, I just wish I could’ve made it better for him.

(joievawter) #5

Gonzo & me

Gonzo :heart:. What a cutie! I was hoping this would turn into a dog picture thread!!

Here’s Ava!

(AnnaLeeThal) #8

We have 6 dogs, all with assorted medical needs. We feed kibble, 3 different kinds. We did feed raw chicken when it was just 2 dogs, but one of them had bloody diarrhea from it so we stopped.

Likely a couple of the old dogs will die off in the next year or two, so I might take on feeding raw or homemade food at that point. I know it would be much healthier. I’d love to hear how it goes. For now I’m just working on feeding my humans the higher quality food.

(Rebecca) #9

OMG so cute. I want to get a Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix.

I have had my French Bulldog on keto to lose weight, although she isn’t at the moment. I gave here a mix of what was cheap - usually the off cuts sold as dog meat (mostly beef, some lamb) in my supermarket, sometimes I would get the beef sold here for stew, then organ meats like pig heart and liver. I would chop that and mix with shredded cabbage and carrot. I also gave here small amount of rice that I had cooked with turmeric and coconut oil. She did really well on it, lost the weight and stopped farting! I have just got lazy and she is eating the food that the others eat. If I could afford it. I would feed them all this way but the other 3 are big old lurchers and eat a huge amount!
I only feed once a day.
I really recommend turmeric and also fish oil tablets for any inflammatory problems. Turmeric especially has worked wonders with my dogs.
I would have a chat with your butcher and maybe strike a deal to get cheap cuts of whatever they have going spare that week? I can’t see anything wrong with a mix of the cheap fatty cuts and organ meats - if they are good enough for us…? It is also worth investigating green tripe (unprocessed - don’t bother with the bleached stuff as it has been washed of all the good stuff) - really, really good for them.
Good luck

(joievawter) #11

Ava is adorable!

(joievawter) #12

Thank-you. We really lucked out because he is a rescue pup.

(Guardian of the bacon) #13

This is Hoss.
Hoss is a big brute, about 85 lbs.
Hoss is a rescue dog.
Hoss is sad that he lives in a keto house
His family now eats the fat scraps he used to enjoy and use the bones for bone stock that he used to love to naw on.
Would cost a fortune to feed this guy a raw diet. We do feed him a grain free kibble.

(Scott Shillady) #14

Addorable little puppy dog

(matt ) #15

Hoss rocks!!

Very handsome boy! What breed or breeds do you think he is?

(matt ) #17

Looks like an American Pit Bull Terrier to me. Great breed. Love the Brindle.

(Jacquie) #18

I love the idea of feeding raw in the abstract but… Karma, our 11 year old standard poodle, gets Acana Wild Prairie. We get the original Canadian formula and it’s made in AB. Allow for the hype.
'Alberta’s vast prairies are renowned for the diversity of world-class foods produced in its rich fertile soils and cold northern lakes. Reflecting our prairie heritage, ACANA Wild Prairie features cage-free Cobb chicken and whole eggs from local prairie farms, and wild-caught fish from our cold northern lakes – all delivered fresh each day! Grain-free to reduce unwanted carbohydrates, ACANA features regional vegetables, fruits and botanicals for a rich supply of natural trace elements. Here’s Karma at 1 week. ’

(Guardian of the bacon) #19

I think he is some hybrid mix of American Bulldog and American pitbull terrier. But I’m not really sure. He’s built like a tank.

(Mary Ann Kempner) #20

I would join a yahoo group about raw food for dogs. Lots of good info. Also, dogs carb needs as well as protein may be different. I fed my Cavalier raw Primal brand for 16 years. She outlived the breed standard by at least 6-8 years. We just put her down last month…:heart: