Does PHO count as Broth?

fasting
broth
pho

(Carolus Holman) #1

I have been on a 72 hour fast. I call it a BPC (Bullet Proof Coffee) fast, because I do drink coffee with Heavy cream in the morning. I also had some beef broth last night. I have lost about 2 pounds as of this morning (60 hours), I had some PHO this afternoon without any noodles. I may have eaten about 2oz of lean chicken and handful of bean sprouts. I know technically it is not fasting, but I still feel fasted! Does PHO without added stuff count as bone broth? I have had a killer cold, thats why I craved hot soup! :hotsprings:

(What The Fast?!) #2

I gain when I eat soups like pho, even without the noodles
I assume water retention from the sodium but I supplement with salt all the time so not sure what’s up.

(TJ Borden) #3

I’ve never counted it as bone broth, but I do have it for lunch from time to time. I order it without noodles and extra meat (I prefer tendon). I’m a regular at the shop I go to so he also adds a bunch of veggies to it to fill it out since the noodles generally make up most of the volume.

It took trial and error on my part to find a place that I didn’t seem to have a reaction to. As near as I can tell, sugar/startch is added to some broths, and between language barriers and chefs trying to be secretive about their recipes (since the broth IS pho, and can make or break a restaurant), it’s not usually easy to find out if there are added carbs.

(Jo O) #4

Did you make the pho?
Does it gelatinize when cold like bone broth?

Otherwise, no.
FYI sugar is in recipe. So if you are getting it at a restaurant, It will have sugar and probably msg.
AND unless the restaurant is a Vietnamese pho restaurant, the broth probably comes out of a jar.

(Mike W.) #5

Are you fasting for weight loss or shooting for autophagy? Either way, eating anything will break your fast. Clear liquids are your best bet.

(George Hernandez) #6

Pho usually has sugar

(Candy Lind) #7

All the above, especially the sugar warnings, plus 
 maybe when you’re ill is not the best time to fast? :sneezing_face: Get yourself well, and then when you decide to fast you won’t have to worry so much about what counts & what doesn’t. :slightly_smiling_face: Feel better soon!

(Carolus Holman) #8

I got sick while fasting, but i was not hungry anyway. Thanks for the info about the Pho, I couldn’t detect any sugar on my palette, and the restaurant is run by Vietnamese people. Still down a pound anyway! Thanks for the feedback!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Forgive my ignorance, but what does PHO stand for?

(Rob) #10

It doesn’t. It’s just its Vietnamese name.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Thanks, I’ll Google it.

I’ll echo what has been said here already: PHO HAS TONS OF SUGAR IN IT!!!

(Carolus Holman) #13

I looked at recipes on the internet and the only sugary thing I spotted, was the condiments. Where is the sugar?

(Rob) #14

Pho broth has no sugar in it if you don’t add the noodles which is what the OP was asking.

Pho broth has tons of sugar in it. I’ve asked at maybe 5-10 pho places in the Seattle area and they all say they put sugar in the broth.

The OP asked if pho broth counts as bone broth, the answer is a resounding “no”. Aside from the added sugar debate the broth has onions and sometimes carrots which adds a fair amount of carbs also. Drink some and do a blood glucose test after a few hours, I’ve done it. It put me well into the 100’s when I’m never usually over about 90 after a meal.

I had never heard of PHO. Link for PHO article in Wikipedia:

(TJ Borden) #17

What the Pho? (Couldn’t resist). Like @Rian said, most pho places in the US add sugar. If you find a place that doesn’t, it’s worth a dry. Pho is DELICIOUS. Especially with tendon, tripe, and other
not so typical meat parts. You could also make it. If you’re used to making bone broth, you’re almost there.

(Rob) #18

A Vietnamese chef on reddit estimated about 100g of carbs in 75qts between soup base powder and rock sugar in a ‘standard recipe’. That isn’t much per bowl. I’m sure it varies between restaurants as do individual’s reactions to it.

I’d believe that for the traditional preparation, unfortunately it’s been Americanized like many other things. I’m not saying it’s going to be as bad as a slice of bread but pho broth is not the same as bone broth. The bone broth that people like Fung approve in small amounts during a fast is made from bones and water, salt and spices. Not carrots and onions and sugar. That’s all I’m saying.

(Carolus Holman) #20

Well this has given me plenty to go on, I agree that Pho can be prepared a multitude of ways. We have some very Traditional Pho shops in Garland Texas, some without english menus! The Pho is definitely different. I will probably avoid while fasting, but I did not notice a spike in Blood Sugar last time I had it. This proves SUGAR is insidious and is hiding everywhere! Thanks for everyone’s input!