Does PHO count as Broth?

fasting
broth
pho

(Jo O) #21

It’s thought that pho is the Vietnamese ‘take’ on the French pot-au-feu (beef soup). Vietnam was a French colony.

Pho has that pronunciation that makes for some interesting restaurant names. Like Pho King. Pronounce it right and you may get in trouble.

(Thao Le) #23

Pho has sugar in there, most of Vietnamese dish has sugar. We make it at home and use stevia instead of sugar. My sister in law work at one of the Pho place in Fort Worth Texas and she said she saw them put loaded of sugar and 1/2 cup of MSG into the pot.

(Carolus Holman) #24

Yikes!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Oh, that’s interesting. Makes sense. Thank you.

(deana leone) #26

I don’t know about “tons” of sugar :wink: A lot of authentic recipes call for 1-2 T per pot, but should equal about 6 servings.

If you are going to eat Vietnamese food from the restaurant, prepare for sugar and msg, that’s just goes with the territory. Especially the grilled meat are heavily marinated with sugar.

You can to buy the spice seasoning packet at the asian store (anise, fennel, cilnatro, clove, etc) and put it in your own broth.

I use shirataki noodle or chopped leafy greens as the noodle replacement.

We aren’t talking about homemade though, we were discussing restaurant pho. Plus do you think maybe the copious amounts of onions and carrots added to the broth might be a factor?

(deana leone) #29

I suppose, depending on how the restaurant makes it. I’ve become “Sally” from “When Harry Met Sally,” and ask a lot of questions. Rather be “that diner” than risk eating & paying money for something that isn’t beneficial.

(George Hernandez) #30

Pho, the keto killer. Thats what a few of us call it.
There is a small group of us that get together for pho on a regular. We have tried most of the options in town and have our regular spot.
One day my brother order his pho without noodles. "i’m doing Keto’ he says. a few weeks later, the next guy orders no noodles. I eventually joined the no noodle clan. It has been about 18 months now of keto and pho w/o noodles. we check out blood ketones and we know that our beloved pho drops our ketones.
Yes they add sugar to the pho and not just at our favorite place but most if not all.

my first extended fasts include me ordering small pho bowl broth only. and i would have some BP coffees along the way too. These things dont help me to stay fasted, mentally of physically.
I now water fast with only water , pink Hym sea salt and black coffee. my first 5 day fast was so much easier that any other fast i had done. I know that my previous fasts and keto have help me get to this point but i still feel strongly about cutting out the fluff. I am full time keto for a year now. I had done plenty of IF, about 6 3 day fasts before trying the 5 day water only.
I encourage you to try it. One of the biggest challenges that i face as well as many of us is the habit of eating and the mental game that comes with that. i commit to water only for 1 day at a time (sea salt and black coffee allowed) and if i miss the mark, i will be commiting to water only for 1 day again. I have managed to string together 5 days like this. and surprised by how easy it went for me.

I know we all have different experiences and challenges and through sharing them we expose others to the possibilites. This is my experience and opinions for today. Tomorrow may be a different story and i aim to recognize when i need to change things up. I hope that sharing this may find its way to helping others.

(Jason Kather) #31

Very good info here (unfortunately). I absolutely love Pho and there are over 100 of these noodle bowl places in my area. I have been preparing my own shirataki noodles at home and bringing them with me to local pho joints for the past year. I just order pho without the noodles and add my own no carb noodles. I also bring the leftover broth home and reheat to sip on the next day or two (thinking it’s just bone broth). As others have stated, it’s been difficult to get the actual nutritional info for pho so I’m sad to hear sugar is added most of the time. I just got a KetoMojo meter so I guess I’ll be checking my glucose & ketones after my next Pho excursion. This makes me sad as it’s usually our typical family outing 2-3 times a month.

This. My wife originally thought she was clever by asking for “mo’ pho.” Then I told her how it was pronounced, so she asked if she could have it in a “pho cup.”