Do you eat the fat?

(What The Fast?!) #41

What if you cut it in small pieces, fried it up til crispy and threw it in a salad as croutons?

Whoa, I think I just created a recipe.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #42

Yes. This.

(Karen Parrott) #43

I have a SNP (Single-nucleotide polymorphism) in one of my genes that does tend to play a role in my obesity, cholesterol markers, and may drive what types of fats and amounts that I eat to keep my best health.

Just because I have this gene rearrangement doesnā€™t mean it will play out, although, I do think it has, so I do keto, but just modify a bit with saturated fat, ratios, and such. rs5082 is a SNP in the apolipoprotein APOA2 gene, and may influence obesity and heart disease risk. So, self experiment.

There is much to be learned, still. Iā€™m open to looking at my biomarkers, my weight, my body comp and learning.

(Karl L) #44

I just canā€™t! I like fatty foods, and am crazy about butter and bacon grease, but just canā€™t eat the fat attached to meat. It makes me gag.

(Jane Reed) #45

I eat the fat on meat occasionally if a small amount is attached to the piece I have cut. Like others, the feel of it in the mouth is not pleasant if I take in a bit sized chunk.

(Val Bundy) #46

just curiousā€¦do you usually not season your steak or is it just with this technique you donā€™t?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

Weā€™re not really judging. Some of us are just laughing at ourselves as we used to be. And some of us just like any pretense to make jokes. Please donā€™t feel judged. If weā€™re judging anything, itā€™s the fat-phobic culture that surrounds us.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

YESYESYESYES! Bacon salad with fat croutons for the win!

Oh yes. I eat the fat. The more the better. Ribeye, yes. Prime rib, yes yes. Even the Popeā€™s Nose on the tail end of a roast chicken, yes. My answer is yes.

(Roxanne) #52

Have never heard that expression before!:yum:

(Heather) #53

Thatā€™s how I do it. Havenā€™t used my grill in a while!

(Heather) #54

I do that with chicken skinā€¦but most of the time I just eat it plain because itā€™s sooooo good, it never makes it onto the salad!!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #55

does a bear shit in the woods

(Jeremy Storie) #56

Love it!!!

(Ernest) #57

You donā€™t season it before cooking?
I season every meat 2 days in advance. Let the salt work itā€™s way into the meat.
When cooking steak indoors, I cook sous vide (favorite) or I cook it at 200 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven until it gets 10 degrees shy of serving temp. Then I finish in a hot cast iron skillet.

(Ernest) #58

I love that chicken ass!! Especially when coming off a grill.
Nothing like a smokey chicken fat ass.
Wait!!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #59

Holy crap, I laughed. Reminded me of thisā€¦

(Ernest) #60

HAHA! I got carried away

Same here, prefer 3 days for thick cuts

(Stickin' with mammoth) #62

Ainā€™t no such thing as too much fat on the plate of a ketoer. Carry on.