Do we need to know more about our bacon and eggs?

Reference: https://www.zeroacre.com/white-papers/how-vegetable-oil-makes-us-fat

Eggs for breakfast. It can be a standard in a low carb diet.

For controversy I will add some bacon :bacon:. That will attract Paul.

We eat what our food eats. So if the chicken and the pigs eat a diet high in polyunsaturated fats from seeds and grains that are refined into processed stock feeds, that means we, through them, are eating a potentially fattening and inflammatory diet.

The main concern being the easily oxidised linoleic acid amount in these low carb foods.

Do you leave your bacon on the bench, and does it ‘melt’?

I have no practical home science test for linoleic acid content in chicken eggs.

How thorough is your egg and bacon provenance?

Did you have a read? Reference: https://www.zeroacre.com/white-papers/how-vegetable-oil-makes-us-fat

Some info on linoleic acid: Use of dietary linoleic acid for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and death: evaluation of recovered data from the Sydney Diet Heart Study and updated meta-analysis

(Bob M) #2

There’s also this one:

The problem with this whole idea is that saturated fat is supposed to make you feel full. They go so far as to say that if we only ate McDonald’s french fries when they were fried in tallow, we wouldn’t (as a country) be obese. I tested a very high saturated fat diet, mainly a TKD (only ate saturated fat + carbs after exercising), though I did try homemade croissants and other flour + butter recipes and my own homemade french fries fried in tallow I made myself from suet. Not only could I find no satiety, particularly I could eat carbs+butter with no off switch, but I went from size 34 pants to having to buy 38s.

I then went back onto a lower fat keto diet with some >24 fasts, and am now back into my 34s and many of them are loose on me.

That says to me that my fat cells aren’t filled with PUFA, or I’d be driven to eat more.

This theory also does not describe how, for many of us including me, protein causes satiety. I can eat a low fat, high protein meal, say 1 pound of top round beef, and be full for 7-10 hours or even more.

This theory also does not describe hormonally what’s going on. For instance, if I exercised and then did a TKD with ghee+stearic acid added to some starch like sweet potato (+ some lean meat), I wouldn’t be hungry at all when I got home (NOTE: this is also a very high calorie meal, and I did not count calories). Since I started the diet during Covid, I would come home and everyone was home. So, I’d have dinner. Even though I was not hungry per se, I’d eat a normal meal. I’d start by taking only a little, then I’d have more, then more, until I ate normally. Why? My guess is hormones.

This theory also does not describe satiety through nutrients. I’d put good money on a bet that someone could eat nothing but eggs with a poor PUFA content, and they would not gain weight due to the nutrient density in eggs.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Yum! No controversy about it; bacon is simply great. :bacon::bacon:

It may help people who are on a ketogenic diet, but fat (saturated or not) in combination with carbs is just a recipe for becoming obese. It’s the main reason I’m glad I no longer crave glazed doughnuts. The insulin from the sugar in those doughnuts (not to mention the wheat) kept me storing fat rather than metabolising it.

We aren’t making this point very often these days, but it was all over the forums when I joined five-and-a-half years ago.

Of course carbs+fat wouldn’t end well. I keep eating until I reach high protein, almost no matter what. And carbs make me hungrier. Fat may or may not help but I need my protein. And we know that it’s pretty normal… But some of us are worse than others. Once I ate 500g bread with a lot of butter and honey. I stayed hungry. Only lots of protein and lots of fat works. Even if occasionally it’s not the case for the meal, I WILL get hungry again and again until I get my protein. Even without carbs. (Usually high) protein is non-negotiable if you ask my body.